Notes from our first trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 19
Notes from our first trip

We picked up our new 19 on Aug 30 in Sumas and on Oct 9 returned home after 4000+ miles, much of it along the Lewis and Clark trails. We were very comfortable in the 30 different campgrounds we used along the way (everything from full hookups to boondocking) and are already discussing our next trip.

A few random observations:

1) The Fastway E2 hitch is a wonderful thing. We traveled on everything from rutted dirt roads to multi-lane interstates, and in Montana had trucks blasting by at over 80 MPH. In all cases the trailer stayed rock-steady.

2) We always put the dinette table (on the Springfield pedestal) down while traveling to minimize stress on the floor mount.

3) The convection microwave allowed us to have freshly baked muffins, a real treat.

4) Be careful if you are towing with a pickup. We managed to break both switches in the power jack by letting the tailgate fall on it.

5) The outside storage box is a must have.

6) We converted the wardrobe into a pantry by adding Elfa sliding shelves from the Container Store and were glad to have done so.

7) Maryland residents (and probably others) take note: You can't license the trailer until you have the entry document that is filled in when the trailer comes across the Canadian border. We drove the entire way home from Sumas without a license plate or title. No problems at all, but we did keep all the documents handy in case we had to explain our lack.
bobwirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwirtz View Post
We picked up our new 19 on Aug 30 in Sumas and on Oct 9 returned home after 4000+ miles, much of it along the Lewis and Clark trails. We were very comfortable in the 30 different campgrounds we used along the way (everything from full hookups to boondocking) and are already discussing our next trip.

A few random observations:

1) The Fastway E2 hitch is a wonderful thing. We traveled on everything from rutted dirt roads to multi-lane interstates, and in Montana had trucks blasting by at over 80 MPH. In all cases the trailer stayed rock-steady.

2) We always put the dinette table (on the Springfield pedestal) down while traveling to minimize stress on the floor mount.

3) The convection microwave allowed us to have freshly baked muffins, a real treat.

4) Be careful if you are towing with a pickup. We managed to break both switches in the power jack by letting the tailgate fall on it.

5) The outside storage box is a must have.

6) We converted the wardrobe into a pantry by adding Elfa sliding shelves from the Container Store and were glad to have done so.

7) Maryland residents (and probably others) take note: You can't license the trailer until you have the entry document that is filled in when the trailer comes across the Canadian border. We drove the entire way home from Sumas without a license plate or title. No problems at all, but we did keep all the documents handy in case we had to explain our lack.
Thanks for all the details. I am finishing my configuration /build sheets for delivery in February. That is good to know on the E2 fastway. I know it is not the "best" on the market but there is an advantage to me to have it all installed and ready to roll. Thanks also for the info on the power jack. I will be getting the head of the power jack turned just as soon as I take delivery. I rely on my truck and being able to put the tailgate down. Happy trails and congratulations!
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
We converted the wardrobe into a pantry by adding Elfa sliding shelves from the Container Store and were glad to have done so.
Would you mind sharing which configuration you went with? We are wanting to do the same thing with our new 21NE we picked up last month. Thank you!
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #4

I have attached our order info from Container Store.

I had to chisel out space in the wardrobe bottom trim for the feet of the unit and had asked for reinforced walls so I could anchor it well.

I will add pictures of our installation this weekend (the trailer is in storage some miles from our house).
Attached Thumbnails
elfa.png  
Old 10-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #5

I had no idea that the head of the jack can be turned. Once you suggested it I easily found a video showing how to do so. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #6

Thank you so much! Can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Thank you so much! Can't wait to see the pictures.
We decided to mount the drawer unit tight to one side of the wardrobe leaving a bit of room on the open side for grocery bags etc. We inserted a screw hook in the back of the frame at the top of the wardrobe, and when we travel a bungee is strung between that hook and the bottom of the drawer rack to keep the drawers from sliding out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211015_131941757_MP.jpg   IMG_20211015_132000790_MP.jpg   elfa.png  
Old 10-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #8

Hope you don't mind if I copy you! This is exactly what we want to do. We really appreciate you sharing. Why reinvent the wheel, right? Have a great day! :-)
Old 10-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Hope you don't mind if I copy you!
Please do. I have learned a lot from other users on this forum, it is a pleasure to be able to provide something in return.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:

An instant pot does a great job of baking muffins, cakes, quick breads. An oven or convection microwave really is not necessary