old style vs new style Escape discussion - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2018, 01:42 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We had a little trouble with our 19' retractable but we don't have trouble with the one on the 21'. I am wondering if the screen is changed to be a little better or if we just became used to it and don't mess it up as easily. We do not have nearly enough of a problem to want the new kind. I like the old one that we have. Maybe moving it from somewhat down low on the screen would help.
When I was going to add new flooring to our trailer I had to get all the information on the screen door possible . Because I had to remove the whole screen and cut it down a little because of the new height of the flooring . You mentioned one screen was a little troublesome and the other on your new trailer working fine . I think you are on to something . I think it is the adjustment wheels both top and bottom . I had to readjust after I reinstalled the screen . It took a little of playing with it to get it right . Kind of a balance between top and bottom and enough spring tightening for door to close without it hanging up at top or bottom . That's all I got . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:45 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One advantage of the new style screen door is the ability to make a storm door modification to allow keeping the door open during the shoulder seasons. I'll be making mine real soon and will post pictures.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One advantage of the new style screen door is the ability to make a storm door modification to allow keeping the door open during the shoulder seasons. I'll be making mine real soon and will post pictures.
That's a good idea Jim. I'm assuming something like a sheet of plexiglass over the screen?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #64

Yes, I purchased some thin plexiglass and will cut and mount with VHB tape on the outside of the screen door allow it to remain open without losing heat.As soon as it warms up here it is on my "roundtoit"
Old 04-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Yes, I purchased some thin plexiglass and will cut and mount with VHB tape on the outside of the screen door allow it to remain open without losing heat.As soon as it warms up here it is on my "roundtoit"
Does mounting with VHB tape not make this more of a permanent installation? Would you not want to be able to readily take the plexiglass off when the weather is nice?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I understand what you are doing, but do you think a storm door will make a lot of difference in warmth? Like Dave, wondering why permanent too?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #67

I may leave the shipping tape on the one side of the vhb tape and try screws in the corners, depends on success in drilling small holes.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #68

Trailer: 2012 E19
Drilling holes in plexiglass requires a special bit, and regular drill bits will crack it for sure (you may already know this). I forget what the bit is called.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Why not use Lexon
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Drilling holes in plexiglass requires a special bit, and regular drill bits will crack it for sure (you may already know this). I forget what the bit is called.
I looked up online to see what information was available for drilling Plexiglas. I'm so glad that I've been drilling it for about 40 years because if I hadn't I'd be totally confused.

Yes, there are special drill bits that could be purchased, although I've never seen one and you can always brass an ordinary bit to prevent it from grabbing.

My two basics for drilling are; make sure the bit is sharp, which might sound like a contradiction but you don't want to have to melt your way through. That causes other problems. The second item is to work your way up in size. What causes problems drilling is the bit grabbing and and cracking the piece. I think that I did crack a piece a long time ago. But it's easy to drill, doesn't require special bits as long as you don't get greedy and try to drill a large hole without smaller holes to start.

Here's my now beaten up and grubby rear canopy doors. All those holes were drilled with whatever bit was handy.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0009_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I had the classic 21 and now I have the new design 21. I like just about everything better on my new 21 except the awning. We miss the flexibility of use of the old one. I really liked being able to attach a shade to the old awning. I liked tilting it down too.

John
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #72

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
I know the new models are great but I love the curved cockpit style door on out 5 TA. Matter of asthetics I guess.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #73

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John G. View Post
I had the classic 21 and now I have the new design 21. I like just about everything better on my new 21 except the awning. We miss the flexibility of use of the old one. I really liked being able to attach a shade to the old awning. I liked tilting it down too.
I found this comment interesting on Oliver Trailers FAQ's:
Q: Is the awning automatic and motorized?
A: The awning incorporates a manual mechanism. We have yet to find a motorized awning that we would be comfortable selling.

It would be nice if ETI came up with a way to offer a manual awning as an option on all models. That way owners can choose what they want.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #74

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Interesting. Thanks for this. Never heard this perspective
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #75

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I found this comment interesting on Oliver Trailers FAQ's:
Q: Is the awning automatic and motorized?
A: The awning incorporates a manual mechanism. We have yet to find a motorized awning that we would be comfortable selling.

It would be nice if ETI came up with a way to offer a manual awning as an option on all models. That way owners can choose what they want.
There are things I like about the new awning. For one the quick in and out means I tend to use it more on short stays or if the weather looks like it might change. With a manual one I would leave it in if I saw that wind or weather were predicted for later in the day. And while traveling no way would I extend it for just a few hours. And I can extend it 1 1/2 feet even in heavy weather to keep rain away as we enter and exit.

But if or when it fails I will be considering a manual awning for the replacement if it fails in less than 5 years.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #76

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
... if someone wanted a curtain across the door on the 2nd Gen you could use one of those tension rods between the now-standard cubby and the upper kitchen cabinet.
Yep, you could do it. So, for those of you holding back on switching to the 2nd Gen style because you love your curtain over the door - you can now order a new one.

There's about 4" of space between the edge of the cubby and the door opening, which should be plenty of room to moosh your curtain to the side when it's not needed.

I've attached photos of that area. Which also show the new grab bar we installed yesterday. About 10 mins after the Amazon delivery person delivered it. Something you can do with the new style screen door.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01842.jpg   DSC01840.jpg   DSC01841.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I prefer the new door, I'm not all that impressed with the new awning. Like others, I prefer to be able to tilt it for late day shade & water run off, plus I've already had to replace the awning end piece due to the awning end hanging up on the guide (yes, I have the longer guides). Until I get home where I'll be more comfortable adjusting it, I have to hand guide the awning as it closes.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
There are things I like about the new awning. For one the quick in and out means I tend to use it more on short stays or if the weather looks like it might change. With a manual one I would leave it in if I saw that wind or weather were predicted for later in the day. And while traveling no way would I extend it for just a few hours. And I can extend it 1 1/2 feet even in heavy weather to keep rain away as we enter and exit.

But if or when it fails I will be considering a manual awning for the replacement if it fails in less than 5 years.
Many stops in nice surroundings for lunch will open our Classic awning . You can also open it a foot or two . It just takes a couple of minutes and I can do it by myself . We have a awning and it gets used . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote