old style vs new style Escape discussion - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The frontal area is not affected by this recessed space for the awning. It starts back along the side a little ways.
Jim doesn't the recessed space intrude in the kitchen cabinet's ? Not in the 5 th wheel because the awning is installed to the body without the recess ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Maybe I didn't lubricate the thing enough. It's a horse-shick designed retractable screen, but no deal breaker.
Oh my God Myron what did you do ? When I did the new flooring I removed the whole screen and needed to cut it down a little and all is well. Besides your little adjustments , you just keep that track clean with a occasional wipe . Sometimes I spray a little silicone spray . When our trailer was new one of our male dogs almost went through the screen but it did heal back . Now we have a little baby gate to keep the dogs away from screen . I have seen these screen doors on many RV's . There are also installed on homes . We think they are very cool . Pat
Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim doesn't the recessed space intrude in the kitchen cabinet's ? Not in the 5 th wheel because the awning is installed to the body without the recess ? Pat
Yes it does, I was just saying it does not affect frontal area.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes it does, I was just saying it does not affect frontal area.
Really wouldn't care for the loss of cabinet space especially in the 19 . Doesn't really apply with your 5 th . We keep our kitchen dishes and glasses up there in that cabinet . When I was in a 21 wouldn't matter as much because that 2 feet gives them a lot more cabinet space . Pat
Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Maybe I didn't lubricate the thing enough. It's a horse-shick designed retractable screen, but no deal breaker.
Myron: I replaced the screen cartridge so I know what you are going through. See the attached graphic for an explanation of the adjustments on the Vista Plus or watch the video below from 1:20-2:20. Hopefully this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Vista Plus adjustments.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I don't know Myron. Love the screen, hate the new type, had them in 3 Class C's.

Ours has been virtually problem free. Screen jumped out of the track a couple of times but no biggie. One thing M. does regularly though is make sure that the track is free of debris.

We love the screen so much that we also have one on the door to our sundeck. It gets heavy use and also has been problem free.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Thanks, I watched the video and found it to be as useless as the installation manual, i.e.-- on page 18 for removing the screen with a screw driver. Couldn't get that to work. I did however finally understand about how to increase tension on the two screen retraction knobs. Screen now retracts about 6 inches on release of latch, a big improvement over no auto retraction.
More study needed.

As for the new straight non-retractable screen, I agree they are ugly and too in-your-face, if more functional.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #48

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Now we have a little baby gate to keep the dogs away from screen . Pat
Pat, When I first read your comment, I misread it as, “Now we have a little baby goat to keep the dogs away from the screen”. I howled!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Pat, When I first read your comment, I misread it as, “Now we have a little baby goat to keep the dogs away from the screen”. I howled!
Steve just a little baby gate I picked up at a garage sale for 2.00 . It's wood and just cut it in half and hinged it so it folds up in half and made attachments from stuff in the garage . They are not big dogs but Murphy is very protective if someone comes up to the door ,and he thinks he is bigger then he is, the baby gate protects the screen . Pat
Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Steve just a little baby gate I picked up at a garage sale for 2.00 . It's wood and just cut it in half and hinged it so it folds up in half and made attachments from stuff in the garage . They are not big dogs but Murphy is very protective if someone comes up to the door ,and he thinks he is bigger then he is, the baby gate protects the screen . Pat
Ops put the pictures in the wrong thread . Here's the little gate to keep dogs away from screen . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0335.jpg   IMG_0336.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I did however finally understand about how to increase tension on the two screen retraction knobs. Screen now retracts about 6 inches on release of latch, a big improvement over no auto retraction. More study needed.
I'd try some more spring tension (bottom knob turned towards the rear of the trailer) and see if that helps.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Our trailer is a 2nd Gen style and we got it in Nov 2016. It wasn't the first one either. I think they were coming out several months before that.
Yes, the transition occurred through 2016, which is why "2017" is a poor description of the newer design; however, that's what Escape called it, unfortunately.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ya, that's a Little gate for a little dog alright.
Attached Thumbnails
Ben.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Ya, that's a Little gate for a little dog alright.
Hey Myron all 3 together 29 lbs but you would never know it . Yours is a cutie too ! Pat
Old 04-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Having owned both a Classic 17 and now new version 21, the new door seals much more tightly. While I did like the look of the Classic door, I much prefer the functionality of the new door and screen door. As for the new awning, I liked to old one and I like the new one - each has some advantages over the other. We use the new one much more often than we used the old one. We both greatly prefer the new windows for several reasons.

lalalala, I can't hear you Eric, lalalala.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
lalalala, I can't hear you Eric, lalalala.
Yah - you couldn't even claim 2footitis got you! Or 4footitis like we had.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
I am with you Myron the the body styles . Really don't have a lot of trouble with sliding screen door . A little wipe once in awhile to keep track clean and that's all it takes for us. Have had the newer door and screen twice before and prefer the Classic . No complaints with our refrigerator either 4.3 . And if needed have found lots of choices out there now for replacements . The sliding windows we love . As for Windows opening in the 19 , at the bed , no, no . The rear of all RV's gets the dirtiest and would never open those in the bed area . The awning is the easiest , most reliable on the Classic. It can be tilted way down for water run off and stays up most of the time when we are camping . Very rare to put the awning away unless extreme winds , etc. have a screen room and you can strap the awning down . Not so with the troublesome electric model . Don't find the insulation , we did get the extra insulation a problem . Our heater works fine to keep us warm and if at a campground to save gas use a electric . We do have the foam underneath the trailer which I think makes a difference . Out of all the newer models the 5 th wheel design looks the best . Otherwise the Classic design is the most pleasing and makes it stand out from the rest. Pat
Couldn't have said it any better
Old 04-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Many of us probably were spoiled to curvy things as we migrated from a Casita to an Escape...........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Many of us probably were spoiled to curvy things as we migrated from a Casita to an Escape...........
Or Scamps. The lack of exterior rivets and snap caps are a PLUS. And the 'classic' door isn't as drastic as the old 'air-plane' door. I love my classic 5.0TA.... SWOON!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #60

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

As for the new straight non-retractable screen, I agree they are ugly and too in-your-face, if more functional.

We had a little trouble with our 19' retractable but we don't have trouble with the one on the 21'. I am wondering if the screen is changed to be a little better or if we just became used to it and don't mess it up as easily. We do not have nearly enough of a problem to want the new kind. I like the old one that we have. Maybe moving it from somewhat down low on the screen would help.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote