old style vs new style Escape discussion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
old style vs new style Escape discussion

Since this is the old body style what can you tell me is difference between this and the new? I've tried researching and really cant find anything.

Thanks,
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Since this is the old body style what can you tell me is difference between this and the new? I've tried researching and really cant find anything.
There are three main differences between the original (or "first generation" or "classic") body style and the current (or "second generation", or "2017+") style:
  1. 1st generation sides slope slightly (inward toward the top and bottom), but 2nd generation sides are vertical
  2. 1st generation door is moulded fiberglass shaped to match the trailer side, but 2nd generation door is a common flat RV door with integrated screen door (and wider)
  3. 1st generation awning has arms reaching down the side of the trailer; 2nd generation awning arms fold horizontally into the awning housing
The vertical lower sides lead to the 2nd generation having its tires further apart (wider track) than the first generation, and moderately increased weight.

There were also some changes in smaller details of standard and optional equipment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Thanks,
Steve
Not enough to matter in my opinion. This is a beautiful trailer...and the last available year of the classic mold. Plus you get the bulletproof Carefree Fiesta awning.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

Thanks,
Steve
The classic is generally a more rounded trailer at the corners and elsewhere. Also the door. Many of us prefer the Classic for that and other reasons. The manufacturers have some advantages with the newer style in making the trailer easier for them to build and in being able to do certain things. It is not necessarily anything that you would need or want but it is a little different. The new ones do have a very different awning which I think many like but some do not.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not enough to matter in my opinion. This is a beautiful trailer...and the last available year of the classic mold. Plus you get the bulletproof Carefree Fiesta awning.
Yes the awning is the greatest ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
old style vs new style Escape discussion

moved from 4 sale thread
Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are three main differences between the original (or "first generation" or "classic") body style and the current (or "second generation", or "2017+") style:
  1. 1st generation sides slope slightly (inward toward the top and bottom), but 2nd generation sides are vertical
  2. 1st generation door is moulded fiberglass shaped to match the trailer side, but 2nd generation door is a common flat RV door with integrated screen door (and wider)
  3. 1st generation awning has arms reaching down the side of the trailer; 2nd generation awning arms fold horizontally into the awning housing
The vertical lower sides lead to the 2nd generation having its tires further apart (wider track) than the first generation, and moderately increased weight.

There were also some changes in smaller details of standard and optional equipment.
I think its worth emphasizing that the wider entry door in the new generation allows for a larger refrigerator than possible in the former models.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I think its worth emphasizing that the wider entry door in the new generation allows for a larger refrigerator than possible in the former models.
Not necessarily larger, but a better type for hot weather operation.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Having owned both a Classic 17 and now new version 21, the new door seals much more tightly. While I did like the look of the Classic door, I much prefer the functionality of the new door and screen door. As for the new awning, I liked to old one and I like the new one - each has some advantages over the other. We use the new one much more often than we used the old one. We both greatly prefer the new windows for several reasons.

Everyone has their own preferences, so there is no "right" answer for everyone.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
For me my old style mold is much more attractive to the eye. I like curves that contradict (ever so slightly) the newer, boxy toaster look. But, that old style retractable screen door I got is sloppy, unfriendly, your basic terrible, because it always wants to crumple off its crummy track and makes you go nuts. The new style screen door looks to me like it's as clean and simple to open and close as your grandma's screened porch door. I hear the new door is also now wide enough for you to get a larger refrigerator choice in there should your Dometic make you unhappy. My old 4.3 used to make me unhappy but that feeling has gone away. No clue why.

On rare occasions when I open up the old style awning, because it is all manual all the time, I sometimes forget the correct sequence of steps you must take to not jam it up. Have come to accept this as the price you pay for being a senior.

That's all I got. Oh, I'm also just fine with the old style slider windows.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
for us - the new style screen door, plus having the new style new fridge that supposedly works better in hot weather, plus the new style awning windows .... all equal awesome.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Here is a side-by-side view of the new and old style Escape 21, shown from the rear. You can get an idea of the subtle changes in body shape and other features from this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
20170726_escape_21s.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
One other difference between old and new is the insulation used in the “extra insulation” package. The new trailers use a closed cell foam with something like R5, I believe, whereas the older trailers used Reflectix with around R1 or somesuch. Not sure but some of the late model 1G trailers also might have gotten the foam. Please correct me if I’m off on any of this.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The old-style Reflectix insulation that I have doesn't seem very effective to me; my furnace seems to run a lot. So the newer insulation is an improvement.

The new-style windows pivot out from the top instead of slide sideways. The rear window on the Escape 21 is fixed on my 2014 model, but it opens on the new-style trailers, which is another good thing imho.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For the first year that the new generation was out, I was still preferring the look of the first generation trailers, and now after owning my 2G trailer for over a year, I am liking it better as it seems/feels more modern/updated to me. Really all this shows is you love the one you have the most. Look wise I think it is a toss up between the two models, each having their good points.

Any model, whether first or second generation, will do a great job while you go out and make some wonderful memories.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
For me my old style mold is much more attractive to the eye. I like curves that contradict (ever so slightly) the newer, boxy toaster look. But, that old style retractable screen door I got is sloppy, unfriendly, your basic terrible, because it always wants to crumple off its crummy track and makes you go nuts. The new style screen door looks to me like it's as clean and simple to open and close as your grandma's screened porch door. I hear the new door is also now wide enough for you to get a larger refrigerator choice in there should your Dometic make you unhappy. My old 4.3 used to make me unhappy but that feeling has gone away. No clue why.

On rare occasions when I open up the old style awning, because it is all manual all the time, I sometimes forget the correct sequence of steps you must take to not jam it up. Have come to accept this as the price you pay for being a senior.

That's all I got. Oh, I'm also just fine with the old style slider windows.
I am with you Myron the the body styles . Really don't have a lot of trouble with sliding screen door . A little wipe once in awhile to keep track clean and that's all it takes for us. Have had the newer door and screen twice before and prefer the Classic . No complaints with our refrigerator either 4.3 . And if needed have found lots of choices out there now for replacements . The sliding windows we love . As for Windows opening in the 19 , at the bed , no, no . The rear of all RV's gets the dirtiest and would never open those in the bed area . The awning is the easiest , most reliable on the Classic. It can be tilted way down for water run off and stays up most of the time when we are camping . Very rare to put the awning away unless extreme winds , etc. have a screen room and you can strap the awning down . Not so with the troublesome electric model . Don't find the insulation , we did get the extra insulation a problem . Our heater works fine to keep us warm and if at a campground to save gas use a electric . We do have the foam underneath the trailer which I think makes a difference . Out of all the newer models the 5 th wheel design looks the best . Otherwise the Classic design is the most pleasing and makes it stand out from the rest. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Here is a side-by-side view of the new and old style Escape 21, shown from the rear. You can get an idea of the subtle changes in body shape and other features from this photo.
Like the upper rear tail lights better on Gen2. In this photo you can see the Gen2 trailer still has the slider windows which I don't believe one can order anymore.
Never had a desire for the rear window to open and the split-screen effect of the frameless isn't as good as the old "picture window" IMO.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For the first year that the new generation was out, I was still preferring the look of the first generation trailers, and now after owning my 2G trailer for over a year, I am liking it better as it seems/feels more modern/updated to me. Really all this shows is you love the one you have the most. Look wise I think it is a toss up between the two models, each having their good points.

Any model, whether first or second generation, will do a great job while you go out and make some wonderful memories.
To me the Gen2 5.0TA looks the least different as it doesn't have the squared looking front the other trailers have.

Spending some time last summer in a Gen2 21 (with owners who had a Gen1 too) the interiors are almost identical.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve never seen an unattractive Escape. And it seems “beauty is in the eye of the titleholder.”
Iowa Dave
Old 04-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
To me the Gen2 5.0TA looks the least different as it doesn't have the squared looking front the other trailers have.

Spending some time last summer in a Gen2 21 (with owners who had a Gen1 too) the interiors are almost identical.
I was of the belief in talking to Reace that the front and back never changed other than to mould into the new shaped sides. Not positive, but a side by side viewing would tell. Maybe at the rally I will confirm this.

I do know the mould builder had quite the challenge fitting the loft seamlessly into the new shaped sides, but in the end he really did a great job.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote