Old tires? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #1

Old tires?

This tire is 7 years old but we never used it. It was on the trailer when we bought it new and had never been taken off.

This happened on a 101 degree day in Denver in the middle of September.

I always took the cover off before the first trip of the season to check the tire pressure but I can’t say that I inspected the tire carefully. After this happened I then checked the other four tires the rubber was pretty cracked.

Anyway, the manufacturers have a “seven year rule”. For me, I’ll start careful inspections, even a magnifying glass much earlier. I feel lucky one of the other four tires did fail when we were moving.
Attached Thumbnails
D3B99439-ADAD-49A1-A5E4-70689663027E.jpeg   38530569-F9AD-4103-9295-AC50238F259B.jpeg  
schmucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Not surprised. I had a five year old tire do the same thing. Hot day in North Carolina and freeway speeds. Does not matter if you monitor the tire pressure before driving or while driving, this is a catastrophic failure of a tire. The dual axle pays off in these situations. Those hot temps and highway driving are a common factor.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Not surprised. I had a five year old tire do the same thing. Hot day in North Carolina and freeway speeds. Does not matter if you monitor the tire pressure before driving or while driving, this is a catastrophic failure of a tire. The dual axle pays off in these situations. Those hot temps and highway driving are a common factor.
But this is the first time I have heard of a SPARE TIRE blowing that had never touched pavement.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Good one!
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #5

Question for the OP.

What brand is the tire that blew? If I have the same, I want to speed up it's replacement.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Question for the OP.

What brand is the tire that blew? If I have the same, I want to speed up it's replacement.

Going to base your decision on one example with an unknown cause?
Old 10-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Going to base your decision on one example with an unknown cause?
I was thinking about replacing my tires, not because of mileage but rather that they're six years old. This tire that blew may be one example, but it's validation that age is a significant factor, to me. I'll be replacing them soon.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have heard of similar failures, but I don't recall any on an Escape before... maybe just because it's rare and there are many more trailers of other brands.

High temperature seems very likely to be the problem, and it seems likely that the spare has been cooking in the sun under its black cover for its entire life; a tire mounted on a vehicle and in a fender well would have it easier. A white cover might be a better choice, but I wouldn't fault anyone for using the supplied cover, and the tire might have looked fine on inspection.

Anyone suddenly more interested in relocating the spare to under the trailer?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Hide it where and how you want

But.......any tire that age is problematic. I figure 5 years as max age.

It is counter-intuitive....but tires "like" to be used. Apparently, in manufacture, they add materials that blend through the tire with use to increase....durability, I assume. UV resistance (sunlight) would be high up on that need. These compounds migrate to and through the tire and the tire surface to protect a tire, if used, and heated during use. It takes heat to increase chemical activity and mobility.

Shirley......there must be a tire, old man from Dayton OH or thereabouts to respond to my undocumented assertions, who worked in the industry. Or maybe they've all been laid off and the work sent overseas.
Ahhhh...yeah.

This post is only of what I have read in the past, not what I know as gospel. But all manner of manufacture is these days awfully sophisticated. You can get tires that are much better in snow than everyday driving (soft, sticky rubber compounds), and tires for other applications and uses.

It blew. Kaput! It was "old".

I'm done....and tired of this tedious tread.

Get it?
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
tire question...thinking of replacing my escape tires in the near future do to aging-out. Does anyone have suggestion on where to purchase the newest manufactured new tires. Have seen several comments by purchasers not happy with age of manufacture of tires they bought expecting to be more recently made. Thanks for any suggestions FGunderson
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:33 AM   #11

This comes up in every "old tire" discussion, but...
There are many, many tires far older than five years on occasionally used vehicles of all kinds, and I've never heard of "it blew up because it was old" on anything but a trailer. Of course, few vehicles keep one of their tires sitting out in the sun without a fender over it... although there are probably spares that have ridden around on Jeeps for a decade that way.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
My friend had 2 of his 4 tires blow on a 4 hour trip. When he was replacing the first tire, the tire salesman said for the most part, any tire that comes on a travel trailer should be replaced the next season. I tend to agree, who is Ranier

I'll probably carry 2 spares in the future, especially after my last trip.

Sorry, I'm a shoe snob and a tire snob.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 19
The tire exploded in Denver. How much did altitude contribute to this happening then. I fully understand the tire was defective and there are millions of tires at that altitude that don’t explode.

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post

the tire salesman said for the most part, any tire that comes on a travel trailer should be replaced the next season.

Of course he did.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I ask for manufacture date verification before I purchase. The date is on the tire.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I ask for manufacture date verification before I purchase. The date is on the tire.
Did not and do not mean to steer this thread off coarse in any way. But having said that I live in Alaska in which a lot of sellers either will not ship or have very high shipping fees. One that has some sellers that will is amazon. When purchasing on amazon you can not get the date of manufacture. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion of any sellers that they had good fortune with in getting the freshest tires I.E. Canadian Tire,Discount Tire,etc. where I might purchase some if I am able to get out on the road system again. Thank you. FGunderson Wrangell, Alaska
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
... who is Ranier
Rainier is a brand name of a tire distributor, who has tires made in Asia and branded for them. This is no different from the house brand at any retailer - you trust the retailer or not, but you don't know the manufacturer.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Tires

I had the original Good Year tires on my 17b Escape trailer when I purchased the trailer used. It had only ever been on one trip of 5000 miles in six years.They looked like new but after a drive only 50 miles on a hot day I came home to see that while the trailer sat in the driveway with a tire that went flat. The tread had separated.

Never will I go longer than the manufacturer recommended time. Being a 17b it could have been a lot more serious especially will a single axle at highway speeds.
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #19

I always find it strange that ST trailers tires go bad within 6 years life but LT truck tires have to wear out to go bad.

Probably the reason why when the ST tires (Goodyear Marathon) on my previous Casita needed replacement, I bought LT tires. The max speed rating went from 65mph to 112mpg - not that I would drive that fast but it does show that the LTs are better made tires. The Marathons scared me as I never knew when they would explode. The LT tires never gave me any problems up until the day I sold the trailer. The new owner is still running the LTs even now.

There's a good probability that when the Escape tires are due, I will do the same.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
About a year ago I was checking out a major tire manufactures web page and came across another recommendation. That was to not park your trailer (tires) on large sharp gravel for extended periods of time.

Since that is what I have...I park on two 2 x 8 x 6ft planks, one on each side. I actually find it works well because I just aim for the drivers side board in the mirror and end up parked perfectly every time. Each board is spiked into the ground with two 12 inch nails/spikes so no one kicks them out of position.

I also protect the sideways from the ultraviolet light as well. I tried vinyl covers but roaming cats in the area used them as scratching posts and destroyed them. I now use old satellite dishes that I got from the local dump near our cabin...where you can actually remove stuff from the dump and repurposed it.
Attached Thumbnails
A8632C3F-34FB-4D2D-AD57-2E0E2064EB45.jpg   39C672E1-C507-41EB-9CBD-E2486DFFD4B5.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote