Oliver vs Escape Price Difference - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Perhaps because Bigfoot uses a USA dealer network and the expectation is the buyer would use a dealer rather than factory direct?
So the dealer is pocketing the differential as profit?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So the dealer is pocketing the differential as profit?
Donno. Haven't priced a new Bigfoot on either side of the border.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Oliver Interior

No question, they are well built! But, the fiberglass molded interior reminds me of the Casita and the old 1970 fiberglass yacht interiors...stark white and cold looking...lacking warmth. If they had a more attractive interior finish I would consider one despite the cost...I will stick to the 21 Escape.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Something I have never figured out with Bigfoot, why isn't the currency differential part of the purchase process as it is with an Escape. Seems like the Canadian price is the same as US price?
If the price in Canada is the same number of Canadian dollars as the price in in the U.S. is in U.S. dollars, then they are not priced the same at all. This would be much less confusing if the two countries just used different names for their (unrelated) currencies.

Any business is free to set prices at whatever level they want - normally driven by market forces - in each market where they sell. Escape treats all sales as factory-direct and therefore in the same market, so priced the same.

It is routine for products to be priced very differently in Canada and the U.S... frequently substantially higher in Canada. If Bigfoot is selling more profitably in the U.S., good for them. It is possible that any difference in retail pricing is due to different markups by dealers, rather than different wholesale pricing, in which case it would by the U.S. dealers making more.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps I'm not clear. Bigfoot has prices on their website for units, in canadian dollars. Anyone can go up and purchase such and then import that item back to the USA, paying the $200 import fee similar to what Escape charges. Thus a nice equipped unit may cost me $45,000 cn or $30, 000USD.
But the dealers in the US, are selling the units for the same numerical amount $45,000 but in US dollars, or $15,000 more than what they paid for the item (less any import fees of course)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Bigfoot has prices on their website for units, in canadian dollars. Anyone can go up and purchase such and then import that item back to the USA, paying the $200 import fee similar to what Escape charges. Thus a nice equipped unit may cost me $45,000 cn or $30, 000USD.
But the dealers in the US, are selling the units for the same numerical amount $45,000 but in US dollars, or $15,000 more than what they paid for the item (less any import fees of course)
In that case, I applaud the U.S. dealers for their business acumen, since they are making such high profits on their product.

If you want these things to make sense, I think you really need to specify the currency for each value...
retail price in Canada: 45,000 CAD (~33,500 USD)
retail price in the U.S.: 45,000 USD (~60,500 CAD)
As someone who routinely pays twice as much for auto parts as the same part would cost in the U.S., please forgive me while I roll on the floor and laugh for a minute...

By the way, I don't see any prices on the Bigfoot RV website. Are you looking on a dealer's website, Jim? There are few Canadian dealers ("factory outlets") listed, and the first two I checked only had truck campers, so I quit looking.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #27

Trailer: Winnebego Micro-Mini 2106 FBS
Here’s a dealer in Colorado that sells Bigfoots. On the Bigfoot webpage they are listed as an outlet. Not sure it will help or just muddy the waters.

https://www.trailerworlddenver.com/i...eyword=bigfoot
Old 05-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLyme View Post
Oliver’s are approaching Airstreams in price. But your question was Escape vs Oliver.
I’d go with the Escape, no particular reason. I like the look of them. They seem roomier.
Oliver and Airstream are also two very different trailers .No comparison . Airstream which is something we thought we wanted before the Escape . Being on their forum , so glad we didn't go that route . Also too overpriced and lots of quality issues . Some issues very serious . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We just sold our former 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ yesterday for the lady who purchased it (her husband passed away in February). I would call our Escape with all the insulation a three season camper. The Bigfoot is so well insulated it's ridiculous. It has a walk-around short queen (not good for tall people though) that worked well for us (I'm 5' 10" when I wake in the morning). This winter I saw a 2017 Bigfoot with full sized twin beds and drooled, but with solar and all the other options they chose/installed was north of $70,000.

When it comes to storage the Escape is tiny compared to the Bigfoot (25' vs 21' and 8' wide vs 7'4"). Plus the Bigfoot makes even better use of interior storage than the Escape 21 or 5.0.

After our 1995 Lance fiasco last year (one 30 day trip, but no failures, except 9.5 mpg vs 14.8 with our 5.0) we realized the Lance was just another sticky with a slide, with all of their problems. The Lance was sold. The only problems with a Bigfoot are: nearly a 1,000# tongue weight, and 6,500# trailer weight, but got 10.5+ mpg vs Lances barely 9.5 mpg. In 10,200 miles our 5.0 is getting 14.8 trip mileage and 13.6 mpg strictly pulling. I have a spreadsheet where I enter actual miles driven / actual gallons pumped.

We love our 5.0, but if we hadn't sold the Bigfoot we'd be just as happy. There are pro's and con's to every camper.

Enjoy,

Perry
Bigfoot another great trailer that should be in the running . Could of had a used owned that was like new but didn't know about fiberglass at the time . We were in our truck camper days then and did like their truck camper too. Pat
Old 05-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #30

True Pat. Airstream relies on an old reputation for quality. Not necessarily the current level.
Their tiny Nest is pretty spare for the asking price, IMHO.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #31

Quote:
True Pat. Airstream relies on an old reputation for quality. Not necessarily the current level.
Their tiny Nest is pretty spare for the asking price, IMHO.
Too bad and traveling we see a lot of Airstreams . One word Thor Industries . Pat
Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 AM   #32

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Having owned both we prefer our new Escape 19’ Reverse Floor-plan. Tow vehicle for the Oliver was a Ram 3/4 ton PU. We now tow the Escape with a GMC Canyon PU V-6 (daily driver). As former Live- Aboard Boaters the Oliver was very appealing, but all-in-all the Escape fits our needs perfectly!
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
The person we bought our Escape from had ordered a Bigfoot because they wanted something larger. Bigfoot sells through dealers not direct like Escape and Casita, dealers can sell them for what ever they want. They bought their Bigfoot from a dealer in Colorado I think because he gave them a better deal then a dealer within an hour of where they lived even adding the delivery cost. Bigfoots can be discounted pretty heavily off their 'sticker price' based on the dealer.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #34

Quote:
Airstream relies on an old reputation for quality. Not necessarily the current level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Too bad and traveling we see a lot of Airstreams . One word Thor Industries .
Thor was created to own Airstream, and bought it in 1980; by that time, there had already been substantial quality issues under the previous ownership (by Beatrice Foods). On that basis it would be hard to find a "good quality" Airstream still on the road.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Someone I know bought a used Bambi Airstream because she didn't want to wait for ordering an Escape. It's nice, but personally, I feel way more cramped in it than in my escape. i think i have more windows? and straight sides.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Someone I know bought a used Bambi Airstream because she didn't want to wait for ordering an Escape. It's nice, but personally, I feel way more cramped in it than in my escape. i think i have more windows? and straight sides.

We looked at the Bambi’s before we discovered Escape. Cozy, but only a fraction of the storage of a 17B. Really suitable only for short getaways in my opinion. And only to places with hookups, as they’re ill equipped for boondocking. All at a cost and weight penalty.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Now you're talking BigFoot.
Attached Thumbnails
bigfoot.jpg  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Now you're talking BigFoot.
Horses ride in the back.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Thor was created to own Airstream, and bought it in 1980; by that time, there had already been substantial quality issues under the previous ownership (by Beatrice Foods). On that basis it would be hard to find a "good quality" Airstream still on the road.
Once we got to tour a 1999 Soveign that was almost restored . He had a business in restoring the older ones . He said he had to look long and hard to get this one . He was camping at the beach we were at . It was very cool especially the beautiful exterior that shined . The newer ones get corrosion pretty quick and never can look like the older ones . It was only 25 ft . But the best part was the couch at the front , going across the front . A real couch . I remember a wood interior too . We wouldn't of had a problem with one of those if you could find one . Pat
Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
In general, I like the Oliver build quality and the double hull design. Very solid and great insulation, making it a true 4 season rig. I also like the aluminum frame and the type of coupler they use. But I'm with Donna and others in saying I dislike all their layouts. They just don't work for us. Small galley, and a tiny side dinette. They're basically a stretched Casita layout wise. No matter how nicely built, if the layout doesn't work, the rest doesn't matter.