Oliver vs Escape Price Difference - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Looking to purchase
Oliver vs Escape Price Difference

Just curious. I don't have a TT yet, just researching. I narrowed down to an Oliver or Escape. I am not interested in Cold weather camping (from Florida
), so I don't know if it is worth paying the extra money. Also, I don't know of the aluminum frame on the Oliver is significant compared to the steel on the Escape, concerning to lasting.

I wonder if there is anyone who purchased an escape who wished they would have purchased an Oliver.

Anyway, a few years before I purchase, but I am one of those who researches way in advance.

Thanks for input.
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the current exchange rate, you can purchase a $40,000 cn Escape trailer for about $30,000 USD. Current Olivers run about $55,000 USD and weigh about 1,000# more than an Escape. Towing cost and purchase cost are 2 variables to deal with.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I decided to move on from my 16' Scamp, cost was a factor, but not the only factor. For me it was quality, customer service and LAY OUT. I could buy the biggest, best, most expensive towable made, but if I hated the layout there would be no point in making the buy. I don't care for any of the Oliver's lay outs. Even the largest Oliver at 23'6" has a 'tiny' kitchen galley. I LOVE the counter space in my 5.0TA.

Oliver galley
Click image for larger version

Name:	~Capture.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	38712

My 5.0TA galley
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sink_TenForward.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	38713
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've talked to a number of Oliver owners, they love their trailers just like we do. I'd take a ride to TN and go see them if one of their floor plans works for you and look at an Escape the size you'd want. See if the difference is worth the $ to you. Like Donna, the floor plan of the 5.0TA sold me, but then Oliver's have changed a lot since then. If you are new to RV's I'd look into used Oliver resale too, these small trailers are not for everyone. A good number of folks get rid of them after a year or 2 for various reasons.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

Trailer: not yet
A rare chance to contribute! We took the Oliver factory tour and came away convinced that some good people build a very fine RV. But we won't be buying one, for two reasons, and the first is floor plan. The space just does not work for us. We felt cramped and confined, everywhere. And the cost is substantial. We put together a build sheet with desired options and hit a bit over $77K. Now we have looked at Airstreams which make the Oliver seem fairly priced---and if Airstreams were built to the quality of Olivers, we would own one---- and as mentioned the quality is first rate, but that is over twice what we would have to pay for an equivalent Escape, even if paying for delivery across the country. You simple cannot beat the value of the Escape for a US buyer right now!
And, we like the floor plans and the space utilization much better anyway.
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would not dismiss Oliver’s 4 season capabilities just because you live in Florida after all you are purchasing a travel trailer . We bought an Escape 21 for two reasons , one we wanted more space and two the floor plan . Cost was not the driving issue for us , an Oliver is worth the asking price . They are two different trailer , designed for two different markets IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
On our way back home to northern NM two days ago, we had to lay over in Santa Fe for a couple of days so our contractor could complete the rough carpentry on a "trailer-port" we are having built. By coincidence, there happened to be an Oliver 24 in the campground and we stopped to chat with the owners. They graciously offered us a tour and we gladly accepted. Here are our general impressions:

Pro Oliver: nice fit and finish on hardware like door and cabinet latches, hinges, etc; it has a very clean, sanitary feeling with all the white fiberglass inside; has a nice big closet for hanging clothes; had a microwave/convection oven; all the plumbing lines are located in the interior of the trailer in a heated space; and, the status factor of owning an Oliver. We did not get to look at the bathroom so can't offer comments on that.

Con-Oliver: has a cramped, tiny, almost claustrophobic feeling interior; has less storage than an E21; has a small kitchen with limited cooking facilities (wife liked the micro/convection oven but was not impressed with the kitchen). The owners made a point to show us the portable pizza oven in which they said they make most of their meals. That tells you something. Incidentally, a 24' Oliver is 24' tip to tail. The owner said the glass body was actually about 19'.

My verdict: It looked to be much the same in exterior proportions as our E21 but really felt so tiny inside. I wouldn't take the deal if someone offered me an even-up trade of our E21 for their comparably equipped Oliver 24. Having said that, if you have your heart set on an Oliver, then by all means get one. I do urge you to spend some time inside both units, however, before making a decision.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Looking to purchase
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Everyone makes great points!
I am a few years away, but I like doing the research and dreaming a little!

Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
Just curious. I don't have a TT yet, just researching. I narrowed down to an Oliver or Escape. I am not interested in Cold weather camping (from Florida
), so I don't know if it is worth paying the extra money. Also, I don't know of the aluminum frame on the Oliver is significant compared to the steel on the Escape, concerning to lasting.

I wonder if there is anyone who purchased an escape who wished they would have purchased an Oliver.

Anyway, a few years before I purchase, but I am one of those who researches way in advance.

Thanks for input.
Dwain
Even though we own a Escape we like Oliver. Everything on the Oliver is high end and thoughtful and worth it's price First it is 4 season . It is 2 trailers , reason for the weight It is only 7 ft wide like our 19 Escape . There is no comparison that can be made between the 2 trailers . It is like trying to compare a Rolls Royce to a Ford . Each are for different buyers . There is no comparison that can be made . The interior reminds one of being on a boat . I will tell you the seating is very comfortable and so well insulated you will stay cool on a hot day with not even a fan running . And quiet , I can't forget . Would we own one you bet , as soon as we win the lottery . So we own a Escape which is what we can afford . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Winnebego Micro-Mini 2106 FBS
Oliver’s are approaching Airstreams in price. But your question was Escape vs Oliver.
I’d go with the Escape, no particular reason. I like the look of them. They seem roomier.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
If your future camper will spend most of its life near salty Florida sea mist - advantage aluminum frame.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ollie meets Escape! (Love the one you're, um, willing to shell out the big bucks for.)
Attached Thumbnails
OllieEsape.jpg  
Old 04-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Ollie meets Escape! (Love the one you're, um, willing to shell out the big bucks for.)
What is pulling that twin axle Ollie?! Looks like it's just a little SUV - and I do mean "little" compared to that Ollie! Most twin axle Ollie's I've seen were being towed by either a full-sized pickup (usually a 3/4 ton) or a V8 Expedition/Suburban class tow vehicle.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
What is pulling that twin axle Ollie?! Looks like it's just a little SUV - and I do mean "little"....
Tail lights match a 2016 or so VW Toureg. Met a couple in Big Sur towing a 23 Airstream with one. Saw them the next day on the 101 going 55 with the nose up and looking tense.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
It’s a 2015 VW Touareg. Here is the response from the owner of the Oliver “iowahusker” in Myron’s original thread...

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post147525
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It’s a 2015 VW Touareg. Here is the response from the owner of the Oliver “iowahusker” in Myron’s original thread...
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post147525
It appears the original photo was posted nearly 3 years ago. I wonder how their towing experience has gone since then. I think I'll ask...
Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
I hear bigfoot makes some good stuff too for 4 season camping. We bought our escape 5.0 for floor plan as well. I loved the full 60x80 queen, and that we didn’t have to crawl over each other to get in/out of bed. With most trailers, the bed goes sideways, and you’re either the crawlee, or the crawler, and neither is good for the bladder in the morning, for both parties. It does make some some up close and personal time however.
Also I liked the weight. Storage config was attractive to both of us. My wife liked that it was “cute”.
Although you can probably get away with camping 4 seasons in an escape, I think you’d want the foam option for freezing temps. I didn’t get that. We’re leaving full time next year, but we will be chasing 70-75 degrees so I’m not too concerned.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #18

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I hear bigfoot makes some good stuff too for 4 season camping. We bought our escape 5.0 for floor plan as well. I loved the full 60x80 queen, and that we didn’t have to crawl over each other to get in/out of bed. With most trailers, the bed goes sideways, and you’re either the crawlee, or the crawler, and neither is good for the bladder in the morning, for both parties. It does make some some up close and personal time however.
Also I liked the weight. Storage config was attractive to both of us. My wife liked that it was “cute”.
Although you can probably get away with camping 4 seasons in an escape, I think you’d want the foam option for freezing temps. I didn’t get that. We’re leaving full time next year, but we will be chasing 70-75 degrees so I’m not too concerned.
We just sold our former 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ yesterday for the lady who purchased it (her husband passed away in February). I would call our Escape with all the insulation a three season camper. The Bigfoot is so well insulated it's ridiculous. It has a walk-around short queen (not good for tall people though) that worked well for us (I'm 5' 10" when I wake in the morning). This winter I saw a 2017 Bigfoot with full sized twin beds and drooled, but with solar and all the other options they chose/installed was north of $70,000.

When it comes to storage the Escape is tiny compared to the Bigfoot (25' vs 21' and 8' wide vs 7'4"). Plus the Bigfoot makes even better use of interior storage than the Escape 21 or 5.0.

After our 1995 Lance fiasco last year (one 30 day trip, but no failures, except 9.5 mpg vs 14.8 with our 5.0) we realized the Lance was just another sticky with a slide, with all of their problems. The Lance was sold. The only problems with a Bigfoot are: nearly a 1,000# tongue weight, and 6,500# trailer weight, but got 10.5+ mpg vs Lances barely 9.5 mpg. In 10,200 miles our 5.0 is getting 14.8 trip mileage and 13.6 mpg strictly pulling. I have a spreadsheet where I enter actual miles driven / actual gallons pumped.

We love our 5.0, but if we hadn't sold the Bigfoot we'd be just as happy. There are pro's and con's to every camper.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Something I have never figured out with Bigfoot, why isn't the currency differential part of the purchase process as it is with an Escape. Seems like the Canadian price is the same as US price?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Something I have never figured out with Bigfoot, why isn't the currency differential part of the purchase process as it is with an Escape. Seems like the Canadian price is the same as US price?
Perhaps because Bigfoot uses a USA dealer network and the expectation is the buyer would use a dealer rather than factory direct?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote