Oliver with broken frame - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
Smile Oliver with broken frame

When I was in Quartzsite in January I toured a new Oliver and had a mild case of buyers remorse that I hadn't pony'd up an extra 20k and got the Oliver,as they are very pretty inside. A few weeks later I came across the same Oliver owners at a walmart in Winslow AZ. They were flying home and the manufacturer was coming to pick up their trailer to replace the aluminum frame, as it had cracked in half.
I have traveled maybe 10k miles with my 17b since i picked it up in December, and have off roaded with it on BLM land, inadvertently ended up on some horrendous washboard roads and my steel framed 17b has held up quite well.
Im very happy I didnt buy a rig with an aluminum frame, with the places I go I dont think it would have survived!
Dennis
DSiepierski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve mentioned several times that for out of the sun relaxation on a hot day I regularly take a little break by worming my way under the Escape as it sets on its wheels in our little storage shed. This doubles as a hitch, propane line , wiring, visual inspection to make sure something hasn’t hooked a stick and is hanging down, road debris hasn’t hopped up and hit and damaged something and yes , that the frame has no visible cracks, missing bolts, etc. it’s not a checklist inspection but it’s a peace of mind thing starting the next time out.
Works for me. “How did your shirt and the back of your head get so dirty?” She says.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Aluminum frames on travel trailers are not all they're cracked up to be Years and years ago, Burro trailers tried it. I'll never forget Gina D.'s problem when the frame on her Burro cracked and she was in some small town... NO one could help her. All the welders could weld steel... none could weld aluminum. I don't remember the outcome.. I think she had some plates screwed into the frame and limped back home before she got some help. That was enough for me....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Aluminum frames on travel trailers are not all they're cracked up to be Years and years ago, Burro trailers tried it. I'll never forget Gina D.'s problem when the frame on her Burro cracked and she was in some small town... NO one could help her. All the welders could weld steel... none could weld aluminum. I don't remember the outcome.. I think she had some plates screwed into the frame and limped back home before she got some help. That was enough for me....
Then let's hope all the new Ford trucks don't need any welding . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
I believe the new Ford trucks (F 150s) are aluminum body, steel frame. No worries there.
Stkshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’ve mentioned several times that for out of the sun relaxation on a hot day I regularly take a little break by worming my way under the Escape as it sets on its wheels in our little storage shed. This doubles as a hitch, propane line , wiring, visual inspection to make sure something hasn’t hooked a stick and is hanging down, road debris hasn’t hopped up and hit and damaged something and yes , that the frame has no visible cracks, missing bolts, etc. it’s not a checklist inspection but it’s a peace of mind thing starting the next time out.
Works for me. “How did your shirt and the back of your head get so dirty?” She says.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Can you check the "Cement pad" for wear and tear while you're down there too? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Then let's hope all the new Ford trucks don't need any welding . Pat
Hi: Patandlinda... Not so much the "Welding" but that they need a special closed shop area for the work on the aluminium. Most small body shops don't have the space or resources needed to do the work. Something to think about... but then I'd never get a ding in a new truck Eh? Alf
Old 04-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Patandlinda... Not so much the "Welding" but that they need a special closed shop area for the work on the aluminium. Most small body shops don't have the space or resources needed to do the work. Something to think about... but then I'd never get a ding in a new truck Eh? Alf
One of the reason's we keep the old girl , 1992 . Why change ?If we have to ever replace would look for Ford under Year 2015 . You pay a huge price for all the fancy on new trucks . Just got new tires and the young fellow said he had a 1989 and is not interested in a new truck , changes , cost etc and loves what he has . Seems like those were the best years for Ford and you see so many and many still look new . Pat
Old 04-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My question probably should be directed at Brian B-P but here goes
If you read the various fiberglass RV forums , trailer frame failure is not all that uncommon
I’ve read of Scamps ,Casita’s , Escapes and now Oliver’s all experiencing frame failures
Why is this problem occurring— design ,material ,age , road salt ,fatigue , usage , etc ?
Many people here and on the other FG forums like to boondocks or camp back in the woods at unimproved sites which often takes driving down a forest service or logging road to gain access.
A friend who owns a RV dealership says that travel trailers are designed to be driven on improved roads and not for driving on washboard logging roads.
Is it possible that some of this frame failure could be the cause of using the trailer for a purpose that it was not designed for or intended to be used ?

I am NOT passing judgement on how anyone uses their trailer only posing a question
I know many people do off grid camping but are their consequences beyond the norm ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Boler frames would give out as well...then you find out that people were loading them up as if they were a Uhaul trailers when the moved.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Boler frames would give out as well...then you find out that people were loading them up as if they were a Uhaul trailers when the moved.
Hi: Eggscape... Most of the Interstate's that we seem to tug on are "Unimproved roads" IMHO. Just in time parts shipments are just destructive to road surfaces!!! Alf
Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Why is this problem occurring— design ,material ,age , road salt ,fatigue , usage , etc ?
Many people here and on the other FG forums like to boondocks or camp back in the woods at unimproved sites which often takes driving down a forest service or logging road to gain access.
A friend who owns a RV dealership says that travel trailers are designed to be driven on improved roads and not for driving on washboard logging roads. Is it possible that some of this frame failure could be the cause of using the trailer for a purpose that it was not designed for or intended to be used ?
Also are weight distribution hitches putting severe stresses on the frame, especially if not unhooked on rough roads? The two Escapes I've read about with frame issues used WDH's.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Also are weight distribution hitches putting severe stresses on the frame, especially if not unhooked on rough roads? The two Escapes I've read about with frame issues used WDH's.
The frame on our trailer bent slightly .The cause was attributed to the use of a WDH and encountering a large unforeseen dip in a section of road pavement.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Wouldn't a WDH put more stress onto the tow rather than any severe stress onto the trailer behind the WDH attachment points? (trying to image vector force diagrams in my old head )

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Wouldn't a WDH put mores stress onto the tow rather than any severe stress onto the trailer behind the WDH attachment points? (trying to image force diagrams in my old head )
The weight transfer (and stress) is towards the front of the tow vehicle & the trailer axle.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My question probably should be directed at Brian B-P but here goes
If you read the various fiberglass RV forums , trailer frame failure is not all that uncommon
I’ve read of Scamps ,Casita’s , Escapes and now Oliver’s all experiencing frame failures
A friend who owns a RV dealership says that travel trailers are designed to be driven on improved roads and not for driving on washboard logging roads.
Is it possible that some of this frame failure could be the cause of using the trailer for a purpose that it was not designed for or intended to be used ?

I am NOT passing judgement on how anyone uses their trailer only posing a question
I know many people do off grid camping but are their consequences beyond the norm ?
That's a good possibility Steve . Maybe they are overloaded too ? Pat
Old 04-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Okay, would love to know if there is a correlation between frame failures and WDH’s. I have an E 2 and feels pretty tight when engaged. Have to raise the tongue fair distance and use the lever to raise bars. It was set up at ETI but wondering if I should set up a more relaxed tension on the bars.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The weight transfer (and stress) is towards the front of the tow vehicle & the trailer axle.
I agree with the weight transfer, but to accomplish this the spring bars put a tremendous force downward on the front A-frame to lift the hitch head, no?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm too lazy to draw it all out, (and its been too long since my last physics classs) but I keep seeing the force applied to lever arms of the ordinary (non-Andersen) WDH being applied between the tow frame where the WDH attaches and the hitch and the opposite forces exerted on the tow vehicle. I can visualize some stress being applied backward on the tow frame to the axle, but again it seems like much more applied to the tow itself. But it would not be the first time my again memory of physics was wrong....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Iowa Dave
So you say, you're probably under there napping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Aluminum frames on travel trailers are not all they're cracked up to be
Groan

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote