On the road ... again - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
On the road ... again

Had our orientation this morning and must say, we're even more impressed with the Escape family than before. What a dedicated and amazing group of people!!

Picked up our trailer in Sumas and headed off to Lynden, WA. Spent several hours setting things up and even showing it off to our neighbors (full time 35'+ Jayco owners ... they were impressed). Will post more later; however, right now, we're sitting in a rain storm, watching T.V. using our Winegard HD Flat Wave Indoor HD TV Antenna (from Amazon ... $34). John was laughing when he set it up as he was sure something this small and cheap wouldn't be good but we were both very, VERY surprised.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Cool beans! Enjoy the horrible weather and be safe and sound inside your ESCAPE!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

Thanks Donna, we will! Experienced the joys of being first time trailer towers today as well. Stopped at the WalMart in Bellingham before hitting the RV park. I managed to direct my poor husband into a tight situation that caused him to have to maneuver forward and backward a number of times. He did great but probably won't be taking my advice any time soon ... HA!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Tell hubby, that's EXERCISE! Some of us sweat off quarts trying to get into spaces. hahahahaha. Been there, done that... and will probably do it again!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
another Escape comes to California! Enough for a rally!

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
another Escape comes to California! Enough for a rally!

Greg
Count us in!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #7

Yep, we'll be there!!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #8

Oh, I'm so glad I can log in to ask questions ... Our first night, we stopped at a campground that was muddy to say the least. We leveled the trailer, set our chocks and put out the stabilizers but, because we hadn't anything to support our tongue jack (forgot to ask Reace for some wood), we just kept the trailer connected to our truck and didn't try to do anything else. However, when our neighbor pulled in with his F150, hauling his 34' trailer, he set up a support under his jack even though he didn't disconnect. If we're not disconnecting, should we be putting a support under our tongue jack anyway?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some people need to raise the front of the trailer in order to level, so after chocking the wheels they raise the front off the ball to level the trailer but stay connected with the chains. Then reverse in the morning and pull off. So I guess it depends on the height of the connection, some units are low, some high, it all depends.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #10

That makes sense, thank you.

We unhooked the trailer yesterday and, of course, were trying to remember the sequence and method that ETI taught us (we have the Andersen WDH). We were level so put a block of wood under the jack (thoughtfully loaned to us by our neighbor) and were set to go. Just discussing the process this morning since we're going to be hooking back up tomorrow. I remembered Jim having us raise the trailer tongue higher after the hitch was connected to the ball and the plate attached in order to get the chains and spring attached. But I've been trying to remember what was going on under the tongue jack. I'm sure we'll have help if we need it ... Meanwhile, I'll stop fretting and go do some sightseeing.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
+ Lowering the jack onto a support help stabilize the trailer even if you don't lift the coupler clear of the ball.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
Site Team

I figure as long as the trailer is level enough to be able to sleep and the refrigerator works well... and the trailer isn't going to roll away in the middle of the night Whatever you do, can be called "good enough." There's no point in fretting over simple stuff.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #13

First thing you will need to do (after disconnecting water, power, cable) is raise all the stabilizers and back the tow to your unit. Once you have dropped the trailer onto the Andersen ball, you wind the tongue jack to raise the leg up into the jack all the way. Now you loosen the Andersen chain nuts until you can slip the collar onto the hitch and secure with a pin. Keep the collar straight and at 90 degrees to the trailer.
Then you start tightening the big nut on the Andersen chain, a little on one side and then the same on the other side, all the while keeping the collar straight. Continue until the correct number of threads are showing for your set up. Done. Now connect the safety chains and safety wire, slip the lock thru your hitch and connect your power cord so you can check your lights. Remove your wheel chocks and be on your way.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 15A
One thing to keep in mind is that the stabilizer jacks are the last thing to go down after you have disconnected the trailer for setup and leveled it front to back (assuming you have already leveled it left to right with required blocking or levelers under the tires). They are the first thing to go up when getting ready to decamp.

Do not adjust the tongue jack when the stabilizers are on the ground. This could put excessive stress on one set of the stabilizers and they will bend.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Oh, I'm so glad I can log in to ask questions ... Our first night, we stopped at a campground that was muddy to say the least. We leveled the trailer, set our chocks and put out the stabilizers but, because we hadn't anything to support our tongue jack (forgot to ask Reace for some wood), we just kept the trailer connected to our truck and didn't try to do anything else. However, when our neighbor pulled in with his F150, hauling his 34' trailer, he set up a support under his jack even though he didn't disconnect. If we're not disconnecting, should we be putting a support under our tongue jack anyway?
I have never un-hooked my trailer if I am just staying overnight. Probably because it is a pitb to deal with my equalizer hitch. I just hook up the utilities, and have thus far had no problems with leveling. I concur with Donna.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape
"Now connect the safety chains and safety wire, slip the lock thru your hitch and connect your power cord so you can check your lights. Remove your wheel chocks and be on your way".
+ raise and secure steps.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I reduced the check list that Escape provides ( and added a couple things ). It is about 3 x 5 inches and laminated with a hole punched so I can hang it near the door.
It's a Microsoft Word Doc which I don't know how to attach, so I just have a screen capture. If someone could help me with this, the Word Doc could be copied and edited by those who don't want to retype the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 1.25.21 PM.png  
Old 03-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
And after you've done everything...walk around the trailer and campsite one more time and double-check it all.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I reduced the check list that Escape provides ( and added a couple things ). It is about 3 x 5 inches and laminated with a hole punched so I can hang it near the door.
It's a Microsoft Word Doc which I don't know how to attach, so I just have a screen capture. If someone could help me with this, the Word Doc could be copied and edited by those who don't want to retype the whole thing.
What's the "Gas off"?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #20

propane….