one month update - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Even if your campsite has a high drain pipe, most if not all cg will have dump stations for public where the pipe is recessed into the ground and surrounded by a concrete moat to channel waste into the pipe. It is free for those campers without full hook ups and I use that method most of the time, particularly when I can see a row of plastic pipes sticking up 12" from the ground. Poor planning on the installer there who took a shortcut, they all need to be cut down to ground level.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:28 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Poor planning on the installer there who took a shortcut, they all need to be cut down to ground level.
Here on the west coast, where we have a lot of rain water, it's not unusual for the drains to stick up rather than flush to the ground. It's done that way to prevent filling the sewer system when an area floods. Even a couple of inches of water in a massive area would overwhelm the system. It would be very helpful if campers would put the caps back on the drains, most do... a few don't, some caps are missing...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
One of the places I like has high sewer dumps and I expect that they had flooding there.

We have even had dump stations that did not work due to the level. We usually just wait until the next place.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #24

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Can you tell me, why are you thinking of high lift on the axles? We've had no issues with ground clearance.

Also, why 3000# axles? The 19 loaded will be around 4000 lbs, and dual 2500# axles means a total of 5000# capacity, although it may not be exactly evenly distributed. You'll be comfortably under the total axle capacity, because a few hundred lbs of the weight is supported by the hitch.
He answered why I wanted the lift if needed. I have been to too many sites with my previous trailer where there would be water left in the hose. But the outlet was about 8 inches off the ground on that trailer. if the campsite pipe stuck up even a little bit I had drainage problems.

The new 19 is rated up to 5000 Lbs which is more than I should ever carry. But if I were to do so 12% of 5000 equals 600 Lbs. 5000 - 600 = 4400. So there is not much wiggle room at rated capacity.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:59 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The new 19 is rated up to 5000 Lbs which is more than I should ever carry. But if I were to do so 12% of 5000 equals 600 Lbs. 5000 - 600 = 4400. So there is not much wiggle room at rated capacity.
I'm not sure what is meant by 12 percent. The GVWR of the 19 is 5000 lbs, but your dry weight without options is about 3000 lbs. So, figuring about 3500 lbs dry with some options (rough average) that gives you 1500 lbs or so for cargo. That's quite a bit of "wiggle room".
Old 10-31-2016, 11:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The GVWR of the 19 is 5000 lbs, but your dry weight without options is about 3000 lbs. So, figuring about 3500 lbs dry with some options (rough average) that gives you 1500 lbs or so for cargo. That's quite a bit of "wiggle room".
Yes, there's lots of cargo (and water and propane) carrying capacity, but I didn't think that was what was meant by "wiggle room".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I assume that the point here is that 12% of the trailer's weight is carried by the tongue, leaving up to 4400 pounds on the axles (when fully loaded). That only leaves 600 pounds between the total axle load and the total axle rating (2 x 2500 pounds)... I assume that's the "wiggle room".

It's a good idea not to overload the axles, but if they are loaded equally there is still a margin (or "wiggle room"). Tandem Torflex axles don't equally distribute load between them; they only carry equal loads if they are equally compressed. That's why Dexter Axle and Escape Trailer Industries advise that it is important to ensure that the trailer is level when towed - that matches the load on the axles. If you can't be sure it's sufficiently level, that's a reason to want higher-rated axles... so that the more heavily loaded one is not overloaded.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote