Optional closet in 21’ Escape trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Optional closet in 21’ Escape trailer

We are about to sign our Build Sheet for Oct 3 and are now considering the optional closet (at the foot of the bed). Any pro’s and con’s would be greatly appreciated!
Cowger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We went withthis option on our 21 and the extra storage space is wonderful glad we went with it . One can never have enough storage space
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Had we went with the 21 instead of the 5.0 we would have done this. The one drawback I can see is you lose the ability for the optional window there which can add a lot of light/open feeling.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
We went withthis option on our 21 and the extra storage space is wonderful glad we went with it . One can never have enough storage space
Thank you, we are thinking the same thing about extra storage space but I was thinking with the counter vs the cabinet it gave a bit more ‘open’ feel. Do you find the small flip-up counter useful?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

Yes we do wife has to take meds first thing in the morning perfect place for meds n water without having to get out of bed n lets not forget night time snacks
Old 09-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21'
We went with the extra storage and have liked it. We never watch TV in bed and so the extra storage has been a better use of that space. We usually leave the little counter flipped up by the end of the bed for putting my watch and glasses on.

Some people get an extra window there above the counter top and say it makes the trailer feel more open. Personally, we find it to be plenty large and open already so that was not a driving reason for us. YMMV.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm going with the optional window and flip up counter. If you do want the flip up counter and window, you need to decide if the counter will be flush mounted (which I chose) or below the counter. There is so much space in the o/h cabinets that additional closet was not optioned.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I think it depends on........

To me i think it depends on length of stay when you camp. Like many Escape owners we are moving up from a 17' Casita, when I loaded our 21' Escape for our first adventure have to admit I was a little confused with all the EXTRA space I had. The Casita had just the right amount of space to take what we needed for a 4-5 day adventure, main reason for the Escape is we now have two grand kids so when they come more room and also we plan to start traveling more and camp hosting within 5 years so then I would say more storage would be nice.
That being said how long do you normally camp on a trip? Long term I would go storage, more shorter trips I would go for more of the comforts I think.
Enjoy your new home on wheels.

Safe travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've been pleased with the cabinet in place of the tabletop. I had 2 shelves installed in the cabinet, and store clothes & towels in it. The flip up counter that comes with the closet works for the few things I put on it.

I did add a narrow folding shelf over the bed on the bathroom wall at the door opening. Very handy for my eye drops, and other things I need in the night. Probably wouldn't work as well if there were two in the bed...
Old 09-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm going with the optional window and flip up counter. If you do want the flip up counter and window, you need to decide if the counter will be flush mounted (which I chose) or below the counter. There is so much space in the o/h cabinets that additional closet was not optioned.
Are you talking about the optional window and flip up counter in the kitchen? Or the optional window over the small counter on the refrigerator side, next to the small closet? Sometimes its hard to follow where these threads go, sorry if I’m not understanding. The optional closet I was asking about is at the foot of the bed, over the little counter near the fridge. Replaces the counter and turns it into a half closet. ALso, what do ppl use the little counter for? Helping when cooking or just a horizontal space to put things, but then when you travel on the road, take things off the counter? Sorry, we haven’t done any trailer camping so we are very very new to this, hence the silly questions .
Old 09-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #11

I was referring to the optional window over the standard night stand at the foot of the bed.....that some people have the factory option of installing another closet on top the night stand.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was referring to the optional window over the standard night stand at the foot of the bed.....that some people have the factory option of installing another closet on top the night stand.
Ok, I didn’t know it was a night stand, i view it as an extra counter in the kitchen! Shows where our life references are, at home I have a counter in front of me and behind me . Lol. Thank you for the clarification. That is the area we are thinking of having the optional closet
Old 09-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I have the extra closet in my 21 ft also. I am glad I got it for the extra storage. I also find the flip up counter very useful.
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
No question is silly if it's asked in earnest. Some of the answers, however ... ;-)

We opted for the standard counter over the heater; however, we did think about adding the 'extra' closet in that area. As it turns out, we have plenty of room without that 'extra' closet (I was going to turn the standard closet into a pantry but find I don't need to and we still have room in the overhead cabinets). We did add the extra window in that area and am very glad we did. Not only does it add more light to the trailer, but it provides extra air flow. I do wish that I could have added the flip-up counter but not a full-sized one. I'm trying to talk my grandson into make me one that would just be half-size so that getting out of the bed with the counter in the 'up' position would still be easy.

I am disappointed in the fact that our TV is mounted over that counter and, because the arm of the ETI mount doesn't swing completely flat against the wall, the television sticks out and makes that counter top almost useless. (Trying to talk hubby into looking into a different mount ....)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowger View Post
We are about to sign our Build Sheet for Oct 3 and are now considering the optional closet (at the foot of the bed). Any pro’s and con’s would be greatly appreciated!
Our 21 is about to go into production. Each person to his own, and we don’t full time, but for us, we gave it a two minute consideration and it was a no. After owning a 17, we felt that the oodles of extra storage space on the 21 would be more than enough without the extra cabinet. We also felt that losing the counter space on the drawer stack would be a loss. Yes you can have the flip up counter, but to us that would hinder the ease of the person sleeping on the wall side of the bed from being able to scooch out of the bed.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Our 21 is about to go into production. Each person to his own, and we don’t full time, but for us, we gave it a two minute consideration and it was a no. After owning a 17, we felt that the oodles of extra storage space on the 21 would be more than enough without the extra cabinet. We also felt that losing the counter space on the drawer stack would be a loss. Yes you can have the flip up counter, but to us that would hinder the ease of the person sleeping on the wall side of the bed from being able to scooch out of the bed.
You do realize you can put that table down at night...that is our plan.... the tv will be in the dinette, other than a nice lamp, that will be all the stuff on the night stand
Old 09-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #17

Chris ,Pat we have the extra cabinet and it’s my better half that has to “ smooch” to get out of bed on that side. There is p,entry of room to smooch without disturbing this snoring old grouch lol but as you said each to their own hope you have many many days of camping
Old 10-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #18

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Does anybody have a picture of the optional closet? Or the other option, nightstand w/ window? I have a month to make all my decisions, trying to figure everything out!
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
Does anybody have a picture of the optional closet? Or the other option, nightstand w/ window? I have a month to make all my decisions, trying to figure everything out!
Email your sales rep at ETI and they will send you a picture of the finished version. They have pictures of all the options people ask for and any other custom modifications as well as pictures of all custom floor, upholstery and Formica choices too.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #20

Here you go, the closet option, the standard option, and the window option. I'm going with the window option as there is sooo much more storage available in the 21, the o/h over the bed is 8' long! So I do not feel additional storage is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
image002.jpg   43952153_10213292124722885_1712577299716505600_n.jpg  
Attached Images