Optional Exterior Hatch 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Optional Exterior Hatch 19'

I spec'ed a hatch on the driver's side front on my build sheet. The trailer is entering production and Escape has asked (for the second time) if I really want this. I realize that there isn't much space under the dinette seat on that side. My interior plans include making the front a semi-permanent bed with gas struts so that the mattress can be lifted. My thinking is that it might be nice to have access to some of the equipment (converter, etc) that resides under the bench from outside. They've got me second guessing. What say you 19' owners who do or do not have this hatch?

Steve
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
A hatch isn't really going to give you the kind of access that will allow work to be done on that equipment, you'd still have to go in from the inside/top to do anything. There really isn't any storage gain in that location to warrant putting a potential leak point through the shell. You certainly can go ahead with it if you have some benefit in mind, but if it were me I wouldn't put one in this location.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
A hatch isn't really going to give you the kind of access that will allow work to be done on that equipment, you'd still have to go in from the inside/top to do anything.
Agreed. Our 2010 has one in that location and it is of minimal benefit. Any real work on the electrical etc. must be done with access via the hinged dinette bench seat. Additionally, not too much can be stored in there anyway because of the converter, partial black tank and seat bracing take up much of the space anyway.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Another possibility: Add the hatch later once you have the trailer, and can determine that it is necessary. Jim Bennett posted a mod that is similar to a new installation (where he changed to a larger hatch size).
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-19-a-812.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have three hatches on our 2010. The one on the drivers side front corner I use for my stinky slinky plastic box for fittings, my plastic box with my pressure regulator and my water hoses. Right front is my tools and stuff I use every time I set up. I use it the most. Right rear is access to my bag chairs and one piece of leveling wood. They set behind and to the side of the plastic boxes under the bed. Since We have three hatches I have learned to use three to my camping style. You can do without the left front one for certain, there's not that much storage there or get it added later. I have a plastic box fetish and I can't be trusted with a credit card in the container store.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have a hatch at that location in my 19'. There is not much room there and would be difficult to access the electrical stuff from the hatch. I use it to store a few tools, grease, wd40, and a few other items that are only used occasionally. If the hatch wasn't there, that space would be otherwise a bit challenging to access from the inside.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I say don't do it. You gain nothing. Storage there is minimal because the black tank protrudes into it. Any work on the WFCO terminal, or adding an inverter, surge protector, etc, is done far easier from the inside.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I say don't do it. You gain nothing. Storage there is minimal because the black tank protrudes into it. Any work on the WFCO terminal, or adding an inverter, surge protector, etc, is done far easier from the inside.
Warning: to those label adverse folks, don't look at the photo

Gotta agree with you Myron. The black tank takes up half the storage space. The only remaining space is to the right of this photo. If I want something in that locker lifting the seat provides all the access needed.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
09-11-2014 4-25-51 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #9
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
You've talked me out of it. Thanks for the input.

Steve
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote