Options - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 11:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd like the convenience of having the outdoor shower just out the door, but I don't want to track the mud into the trailer.
And, if you use it as a shower, it's likely more private on the driver side.
When it comes to washing dishes outside, you have to consider that food particles can attract vermin so water should be disposed of properly. And, when it comes to showering outside, some will object to soapy water in the environment.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior shower.jpg  
Old 10-30-2017, 02:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I like the outdoor shower on the passenger side for washing wet paws, dishes etc... I don't like to be by the dump hose on the other side doing dishes
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
which side is preferable for outdoor shower , driver or passenger side,, any suggestions are much appreciated , working on build for 21
thanx

There are pros and cons for both sides. Instead of trying to pick the one best side, we had ETI install showers on both sides. We have used both, in different situations, where one side works better than the other.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
There are pros and cons for both sides. Instead of trying to pick the one best side, we had ETI install showers on both sides. We have used both, in different situations, where one side works better than the other.
More than one way to solve your dilemma...
Old 10-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I hate a simple solution. It takes all the fun out of arguing.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #26

Trailer: 2023 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
What is it about the external fridge fan that you don't like? I thought that is was supposed to help keep the fridge colder when outside temps were higher?
It's not be used wile in motion, and during our orientation I was told not to use it below 100 degrees fahrenheit.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #27

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I have yet to use one of my 12V outlets, but I got the 12V+USB combo units. I constantly use the USB to charge my devices.
Wait, wait, I'm wrong about the 12v. I use one in the loft of my 5.0 TA to run my CPAP. The other 12v outlets have never been used.
When I get a 12v compressor for my tires, I'll use the outlets by each wheel well. (I ordered them wired with 10 gauge wire.)
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
What is it about the external fridge fan that you don't like? I thought that is was supposed to help keep the fridge colder when outside temps were higher?
Tom, You can get up to speed on this and learn lots from the 148 posts in this thread: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...hts-10811.html
As far as i know, the problem is limited to the 6 cu ft DM2663 (standard in the 21' and 5.0TA?), and here is the official response on this forum from ETI: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post206566
This may be an over-simplification (or even wrong when it's all sorted out), but I believe the problem occurs when the trailer is in motion with propane being used to operate the fridge. In a nutshell (as I understand it), the motion disrupts air flow within the external fan, trapping enough hot air inside the back of the fridge that it melts a fusible link, which cuts off the propane (safety feature), which stops fridge operation. Then hours down the road, you discover your food has spoiled. I believe suggesting to leave the fan turned off while camping until it reaches over 100 degrees ambient temperature is a bit of over-protectionist CYA from the Dometic legal team, but that's probably just me and another one of my conspiracy theories.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
which side is preferable for outdoor shower , driver or passenger side,, any suggestions are much appreciated , working on build for 21
thanx
We too prefer the passenger side for the same reasons. We were told by ETI that it would be behind the stove, but when they installed it they put it forward of that (I’m sure it was easier to install). I would recommend having it behind the stove (I wouldn’t take up any storage space that way).
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
We too prefer the passenger side for the same reasons. We were told by ETI that it would be behind the stove, but when they installed it they put it forward of that (I’m sure it was easier to install). I would recommend having it behind the stove (I wouldn’t take up any storage space that way).
When I installed my own, I did it as rearward as possible. This way the cleanup area is away from the door, and the hose would easily reach to behind the trailer for showering or clean up. Also for the reasons you mention, it was behind our range, where there would be nothing else anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #31

We like our current outside shower on the Driver's side. We setup a "shower tent" back there which usually gives us a little more privacy. The tent would look awkward next to the awning too, and might take up too much room out front.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 17A
Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Tom, You can get up to speed on this and learn lots from the 148 posts in this thread: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...hts-10811.html
As far as i know, the problem is limited to the 6 cu ft DM2663 (standard in the 21' and 5.0TA?), and here is the official response on this forum from ETI: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post206566
This may be an over-simplification (or even wrong when it's all sorted out), but I believe the problem occurs when the trailer is in motion with propane being used to operate the fridge. In a nutshell (as I understand it), the motion disrupts air flow within the external fan, trapping enough hot air inside the back of the fridge that it melts a fusible link, which cuts off the propane (safety feature), which stops fridge operation. Then hours down the road, you discover your food has spoiled. I believe suggesting to leave the fan turned off while camping until it reaches over 100 degrees ambient temperature is a bit of over-protectionist CYA from the Dometic legal team, but that's probably just me and another one of my conspiracy theories.
Wow! Thanks for the reference, War Eagle. I'm surprised by two things: (1) that the problem in the thread was for such a short time frame, and (2) that there wasn't a march on the Dometic HQ by people with flaming torches, etc.
I can now see why the external fan might not be very useful. I have been following the Forum for about two months now (we put a deposit on a 17A in early October). I had seen a couple of threads where owners had come up with elaborate flues, etc., in regard to fluctuating fridge temperatures. It sound like the problem got largely solved by not traveling in propane mode. Thanks again.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Noblets, I'm in obsession mode (I mean due diligence--thanks, Bernard) re my 17 A with a build sheet due 12/21. So much great information in this forum. Nice to see someone else getting the same model.

For the thread in general--here are my current issues--I'd appreciate any/all input.

1) Leaning toward power jack but I'm concerned about tongue weight and if my rear hatch (2013 Highlander v6) would open past the motor housing.

2) Thinking of one propane vs 2, again with the tongue weight

3) Wondering if I'll use an external 12 v

4) Question about interior 12 v "hole" vs the outlets w usb. On my current setup I just plug a double car usb into the 12 v and use that. Is there a reason for the more elaborate 12 v/usb?

5) *Everybody* raves about the storage box. Again, tongue weight is a concern-I can add 3 hatches (one on each side forward, and passenger side back) for quite a bit less $$ and distribute weight rather than concentrate it. Yet the big bin is much easier...no fumbling with keys, angling stuff in. And them, there are holes in the fiberglass with the hatches. arrrrgh.

Ok, that's enough for tonight. Off to find my pillow and have visions of Escape dancing in my head.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:14 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Noblets, I'm in obsession mode (I mean due diligence--thanks, Bernard) re my 17 A with a build sheet due 12/21. So much great information in this forum. Nice to see someone else getting the same model.

For the thread in general--here are my current issues--I'd appreciate any/all input.

1) Leaning toward power jack but I'm concerned about tongue weight and if my rear hatch (2013 Highlander v6) would open past the motor housing.

2) Thinking of one propane vs 2, again with the tongue weight

4) Question about interior 12 v "hole" vs the outlets w usb. On my current setup I just plug a double car usb into the 12 v and use that. Is there a reason for the more elaborate 12 v/usb?

5) *Everybody* raves about the storage box. Again, tongue weight is a concern-I can add 3 hatches (one on each side forward, and passenger side back) for quite a bit less $$ and distribute weight rather than concentrate it. Yet the big bin is much easier...no fumbling with keys, angling stuff in. And them, there are holes in the fiberglass with the hatches. arrrrgh.

Ok, that's enough for tonight. Off to find my pillow and have visions of Escape dancing in my head.
The tongue weight is more critical in a single axle unit and the more you have the less sway you will have. If your tug can not handle 3-400lbs of tongue weight, that is another issue, but other Escape owners use the Highlander, towing much bigger Escapes without any issue. It is a lot harder to add afterwards. Reace &Co knows what the proper tongue weight is needed for the 17 and that is how he produces them.Get the box and dual propane nd even the jack, you can always get a longer stinger to missing the hatchback.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Just looked at this for an older 4Runner and it would definitely hit the rear hatch. The advantage on the 4Runner is you still have the retractable rear window to access things. You can see in the 17B pic attached from the ETI website that the head sticks up quite high. The disadvantage of the extended stinger is that it will be sticking out much further behind the vehicle when unhitched, unless you remove it. Removal is not very convenient if you use a hitch tightener.

Quote:
I am considering adding one. Would be convenient for air compressor for tires, water transfer pump when boondocking and even for an air stone to keep bait alive if you are a fisherman

Quote:
I would definitely get the storage box. The only exception is if you were ever going to consider doing a quiet, mini-split A/C like I did then you would use that space for the condenser. We did a Stowaway box on the rear and love it, but it makes it more difficult to carry bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
17B with power jack.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Don't know about a Highlander but we have a 4Runner and the liftgate clears the electric jack probably because we have a WDH, so our ball mount shaft is long. Also have the opening back window though if it did not clear.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
As it happens, I was gifted one of those and happily had it installed, only to discover that I couldn't open the hatch much. So it took it off and returned to my flip jack. I do have the window, but not opening the hatch would be a deal breaker. The andersen weight/sway control has been recommended to me by a friend and I'm leaning that way, so if that adds extra length, it might work. Seems to me I could check this out at orientation and get it if it would work. It's a pretty simple install.With the batteries at the rear on the 17, is this a problem for power access?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
As it happens, I was gifted one of those and happily had it installed, only to discover that I couldn't open the hatch much. So it took it off and returned to my flip jack. I do have the window, but not opening the hatch would be a deal breaker. The andersen weight/sway control has been recommended to me by a friend and I'm leaning that way, so if that adds extra length, it might work. Seems to me I could check this out at orientation and get it if it would work. It's a pretty simple install.With the batteries at the rear on the 17, is this a problem for power access?
An extended stinger might help with hatch access. You could do that whether or not you install an Andersen hitch.

As for powering the jack, you can tie directly into the front electrical box - the same one used by the 7-pin umbilical. It's one wire to terminate. As far as I know, that's how Escape does it when you order a power jack as a build option.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
As it happens, I was gifted one of those and happily had it installed, only to discover that I couldn't open the hatch much. So it took it off and returned to my flip jack. I do have the window, but not opening the hatch would be a deal breaker.
They would not all be the same and I do not know how you would know unless someone with a Highlander has an electric jack that clears. Or you measure carefully as to what you need and then perhaps could find it. I wonder what you had. We have the Pro Series WDH that Escape sells. But no telling the difference with a Highlander.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quick question .... what is the length , width , and depth of option front storage box
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote