Options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 19', 2018
Options

We've just ordered a 19' Escape for delivery in June 2018 and will be considering options before finalization date. Would appreciate thoughts from current owners who are so inclined re the following:
1) When you bought, are there options you would not order again for reasons of cost-effectiveness or practicality?
2) Are there options you regret not selecting and would purchase if you bought again?
TX
Bernard Forestell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Howdy Bernard. My two cents:

Things we added we would go without:
The Jack Antenna. Don't watch alot of TV anyway, and we've other options for streaming, etc. It also means a cleaner look on the roof, and room for an additional solar panel in the future if we're so inclined.

Options we didn't get and wish we had:
Wasn't really an option when we built, but would have liked to have sheet vinyl flooring with a wood plank look.
2 way hot water heater. Would be nice to just keep the electric on when we camp with hookups, which means a ready supply of hot water.

That's about it. We were pretty thorough (some would say obsessed) during our build sheet process, and for the most part we got it right.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Let me also add, there's a third category I would call "things we added after the fact that were not available at the time". Some of these are actually common now, due to their popularity. The first is the Springfield 3 stage pneumatic table pedestal. Love it. The second is the SAM-1 Range Hood fan upgrade. Makes a huge difference in terms of airflow and noise.

Oh, and we "pioneered" the colored belly band, but that's a different story...lol
Old 10-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I second Robert on the tv antenna. Would not get that if ordered again, everything is moving to streaming on devices. If I could have had lots of time and $$ I would have preferred to stop at AMSolar after pickup and have them install solar system, but didn’t have either and ETI solar works fine for now. I would also have had ETI install the suburban recessed cooktop rather than stock cooktop.
Everything else no regrets either way. Very happy we chose custom Formica, flooring, and upholstery at the build stage. Also very pleased with the twin 6v battery option and larger fridge.
Oh, and wife loves the foot flush option on the toilet.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 19', 2018
Many thanks for your valuable input. We are well acquainted with obsession aka due diligence.
Bernard Forestell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 19'
Solar & front storage box are favs for me. Maybe I should have had permanent bed in 17b (always have dinette made into bed). Like detachable power cord, winterizing t valve & foot flush on toilet. Maybe didn’t need outside shower, haven’t used yet. Love 2 6v batteries & new awning.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 17A
Options

I don't understand why the detachable power cord is a good thing. It seem like the self stowing feature of the installed cord would be nice.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:39 AM   #8

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
I don't understand why the detachable power cord is a good thing. It seem like the self stowing feature of the installed cord would be nice.

One cold rainy morning as you wipe down the stiff muddy cord and feed it into the hole you will mutter. "There has got to be a better way." I debated the price but I am so glad we went for it. Cold wet muddy stiff cable? Coil it up and toss it in the back of the truck.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Like everything here, it's just personal preference, they both work fine.

I've had both and like the detachable one better, never liked the room the attached one took up inside the trailer, and had it get tangled a couple times. On the plus side of the attached one, it is very convenient and you can pull out only what you need. I thought it easy to clean, just wrap a paper towel around it while you put it away. The detachable I toss in the back of the truck and clean it off later, or maybe not at all. I had thought about bugs climbing up and in the attached cord, but never had it happen.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
If I was to do my 21 again I would delete the Back-up camera,as I never use it and the jack antenna, in a little over a year and 8000 miles, we have never watched TV. In fact in our last 3 campers we never had a TV! I don't know what i was thinking.
The things I would add are: extra solar panel in place of the Jack Antenna, the detachable power cord, the power jack, and an extra flip up table on the bed side of the stack of drawers facing the door.
Never thought I would like the Power Jack, but in the KOA in Lynden a couple of kids on they're frist night out, in they're brand spanking new leaking Jayco, ( poor couple had to sleep with a sheet of plastic over them cause they had two leaks over the bed) asked me for help hooking up the next morning, had a power jack, and a couple of ups and down with that had me saying, Mmmmm.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: noblets... My decision was made easier by watching a long parade of "Earwigs" entering the trailer via the power cord and the cord hole. The detachable cord plug in is sealed to the critters!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
In addition to the reasons already mentioned, ours got tangled up with things we stored under the bed in our 19. I didn't want to install a "fence" to keep the stowed cord in one place, so I did a Furrion conversion to a detached cord. We really like it.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We built a divider under the bed in the 19 for the cord to keep it confined a little . One cold rainy day trying to pull the stiff tangled cord out wasn't working. Had to pull everything out and crawl under bed to untangle the cord . It was no fun . Previous always had attached cord with no problem because they were in a container box which you could nicely take out the cord you needed and put back standing up outside your RV . So after that trip cut the cord and installed a Smart Plug and love it . The length of cut cord originally from trailer ,bought another end and now have 2 cords , different lengths . One of the best improvements made to the trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #14

Options

Thanks for the input. I have to admit that earwigs are probably my least favorite insect.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
One cold rainy morning as you wipe down the stiff muddy cord and feed it into the hole you will mutter. "There has got to be a better way." I debated the price but I am so glad we went for it. Cold wet muddy stiff cable? Coil it up and toss it in the back of the truck.
I agree, cold, wet, muddy cable? Toss it in the option we like, the storage box (rinsed off first). Of course if you rinse it off you don’t have to dry it cause the water drains out.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We use a crummy towel when putting the cord back in and just wipe it off in a minute on the way in. It is more trouble to clean a muddy cord later after it has dried. Some people may have much more rain (and mud) than we do so we rarely even have that situation. We use soft window caulk around the hole when in use.

BUT with a 19' you need the detachable cord due to its location, as Pat explained. So for your 19', it is a good idea. Not necessary on others but many like them for various reasons. They do look cool.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2023 21
Here are the options I requested:

1. Stainless stove and hood, Like it,
2. Bigger refrigerator, I wouldn't do it again. It makes the hallway narrower.
3. External refrigerator fan. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't get it.
4. Foot flush toilet. Like it.
5. Winterizing T valve. Like it.
6. Exterior shower. Like it
7. Three extra 12 volt outlets. Haven't used them yet- undecided.
8. Solar/two 6 volt batteries. For me, it's a must have.
9. Surge protector. Like it.
10. Removable power cord. Like it.
11. one LED captains lamp. I wouldn't get it again.
12. Air conditioner. Haven't used it yet but I would get it again.
13.Insulation and frame-less windows. Like it
14.Window in bath. Like it.
15.Window in kitchen. Like it.
16.High lift axle. Like it.
17.Exterior hatch. Like it
18.Storage box. Really like it.
19.Convert dinette to permanent bed. I wouldn't do it again. I would rather have the space under the bed open.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #18

What is it about the external fridge fan that you don't like? I thought that is was supposed to help keep the fridge colder when outside temps were higher?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21
opptions

which side is preferable for outdoor shower , driver or passenger side,, any suggestions are much appreciated , working on build for 21
thanx
stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
which side is preferable for outdoor shower , driver or passenger side,, any suggestions are much appreciated , working on build for 21
thanx
a subject of hot debate....

we prefer the rear of the passenger side (as far back as possible.... is approx where the stove is... can't be further back as the battery compartment / dinette bench is further back than that and they wont put water in there... for good reasons.

we use it for washing dishes (under the awning) etc.

we didnt want it on the driver side, as that side is often close to a shrub or fence

and we dont want to do dishes way over (around) there.

we use a big woven mat, under the awning, so any water on the ground there is covered by the woven mat.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote