Options and Modifications: Regrets... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
Options and Modifications: Regrets...

Here I am looking for experiences of people already owning an Escape trailer:

What options and mods are you happy about that you got them (must-haves)?
Which ones would you have added now?
Which ones did you get, but are really not necessary/needed? (Even some regrets?)

I am curious about this one, because I am totally new to RVing. Although I think I know what I need and want. Learning from experienced people doesn't hurt though...

Gerda
Old 10-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Options and Modifications: Regrets...

I've added two DC outlets inside and I'd like a DC and an AC outlet outside.
I wish I had the stainless steel sink instead of plastic. Probably should have had it wired for air conditioning. The 3-burner stove wasn't necessary, but was only $75. We do most cooking outside and I don't think I've had two burners on at the same time. I probably would scrap the stove cover. Not much point having extra counter space if it covers the burners. Glad I got the 5.0 cu.ft. fridge instead of the 3.5 and a microwave. We don't microwave. I would go with the electric tongue jack, but it sure is noisy. There's quite a bit of cranking up and down to install the equalizer bars which is where the electric jack would be handy. I could use an exterior hatch for the compartment under the bed at the rear. It's awkward to make the bed, which you have to do after accessing the compartment from the top. I have one at the front and it's really useful. And, I'm looking for a better solution than the vinyl rock guards at the front.

And, I would have got the 19', except they weren't making it at the time. The extra 4" width means two people can pass one another in the kitchen area and having a table for four is really handy ( we never set the bed at the back up as a table ).

Nothing to with Escape, but I would have bought the nickel-plated, metal 3M self adhesive hooks first instead of replacing all the white plastic I bought.

What I do not regret is not drilling holes and attaching stuff that I later find would be better someplace else. I figure it's best to live with it for a year before filling it full of holes.

baglo
Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Love:
  • inside DC socket and outside AC socket
    microwave (although the one installed is small and weak, I'll replace it this winter)
    outside lights on 3 or 4 sides
    double insulation, insulated glass and tinting
    • Wish:
      • On the 5.0, another set of lights at the front of the bed, not just the back
        LED lights
        dual water heater (elect and gas)
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #4

See this thread.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #5

Thanks for all the input! I think my choices are sound so far, figuring in this experiences of many owners given in this and the other thread. The only thing I haven't thought of yet is whether to get an outside hatch access. How much does it cost per hatch door?

Gerda
Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

Gerda

Tammy quoted me $100. They come in only one size. I am planning for one on the drivers side front dinette. A 19' has a lot of storage space but not the easiest access. I will put an extra inside door on the passenger side dinette.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #7

I definitely will add a hatch on the rear. Will be helpful for storage of tools, wheel chocks and such. The only other thing remaining that I am contemplating is whether I should do a similar window configuration than what was done on Sandra's Suite Escape. I love the idea of a very bright interior.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

The front outside hatches are useful as well. I use those for the chocks and handles for the hitch and electric jack. Since I now use the front dinette for my granddaughter's sleeping, I sometimes think I should have had a door on the passenger's side (inside front). However, I think I could arrange for one to be placed if that becomes critical. I know it is a challenge to try and think of every possibility, but unless one lives close to the factory, my suggestion would be to get as many of the harder to configure options. One can always re-cover cushions or have those done easily. The H20 heater (I got a 2-way) is not (obviously) as easily undone. Enjoy!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #9

We did not get the stove cover but after a 3 day try-out of our new trailer, we had the stove cover added for extra space to put things on. Washed dishes get put on a tee towel on the stove cover to drip dry.

We ordered two sheves in the wardrobe instead of a bar to hang clothes. Very happy with that decision.

We opted out of the awning which is standard and after 160+ nights in the trailer, we have thought an awning might be nice only once. We don't miss it and it's one less thing to fuss about.
hbgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #10

shows how it's all in the eye of the beholder. I agree with the stove cover. Great for food preparation (we almost ALWAYS cook outside - matter of fact, I don't think we've ever cooked anything but coffee on the stove so far), and for us, to hold the dirty dishes, as we use the extension and a dish drainer for drying.
but, we always put out the canopy, one because it's so easy to do, and second (unlike the Casita's which WASN"T easy, and allowed massive leaking off the roof) it's great to divert rain as we get in and out the door, and third, great for shading that side of the camper from the sun.
One thing I wouldn't get again, is the remote gas line (quick disconnect). You have to have a stove that is low pressure and that runs off the same pressure as the reducer on the trailer. Though it may come in handy when I eventually get my propane powered generator.
One other thing, like in your house, you can't have enough outlets, for when you are on shore power.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #11

I considered the propane connection for the BBQ and decided against it. I have a small Weber and a 10 lb. tank. I can place it wherever I like to shelter it from the wind for instance, or place it on the picnic table ( which may be too heavy to move, or anchored to the ground ) so I have adequate prep space. And I don't have a hose to trip over.

baglo
Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

Stove pressure for an outdoor grill. I did not realize that such grills had a minimum pressure and that the outside connection (quick connect) of propane will not run a grill. I have a Weber Q100. I just got it so am still using the 32 oz. tanks till I can connect to the Escape. Looks like that plan may not work out?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #13

I should let somebody who knows what they are talking about give you a complete answer, but to your question specifically, the answer is no, it won't work. There is a regulator on the source ( the trailer ) and there is a regulator on the BBQ. You need a BBQ without a regulator or some sort of adapter that lets you remove the regulator on the BBQ. That's a quick, if incomplete, answer.

baglo
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #14
tao

I did not realize that the hot water heaters were not all electric and gas. Is the standard one electric or is it gas?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao
I did not realize that the hot water heaters were not all electric and gas. Is the standard one electric or is it gas?
Gas. My Casita had the dual fuel option, and I just thought that was standard. It is NOT! You have to order the dual fuel, but it's worth it if you camp places that have 30 Amp service. Save's lots of gas! Just like using a small ceramic heater instead of your gas furnace in the same situation. Your camping fee covers the cost of electricity, if you use it or not.
Concerning the grill. The "gas guy" at our local gas company told me that there are many different regulators (ie. set at different pressures, but look alike on the outside) and that if I was to use the extension hose (so, using the regulator on the Escape) it would have to match the regulator pressure on the hose I got with my grill, or it wouldn't work properly. So, like Glenn, I carry a third tank for the grill : - (
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #16

I was not aware either that the hot water heater just runs with gas. Definitely another option I am going to have: Dual fuel water heater! Along with one hatch on either ends of the trailer. Including the name, three new things to tell Tammy. Cafe Egg will be awesome!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #17

It's awesome right out of the box, but these things will add to your enjoyment. But, like a new house, once you move in, there seems to ALWAYS be something you would have done differently. No problem, that's why we have the forum, to help us make those fun changes.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #18

I carry two propane bottles on the trailer tongue. One is connected to the trailer, the other is not. I connect my Weber grill and Coleman stove to the second bottle. Sometimes I remove the bottle for cooking, but sometimes I leave it there with a 12-foot extension hose to the cooking area. Dogs on leashes worry me in the latter scenario.

If I run out of gas for the trailer, I go outside and swap bottles. Of course, that always happens at 2:00 on very cold mornings.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
If I run out of gas for the trailer, I go outside and swap bottles. Of course, that always happens at 2:00 on very cold mornings.
Ron, you forgot..."and there's 2" of snow on the ground" : - )
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #20

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

After our recent trek back from Chilliwack, these are my initial thoughts...
We are very happy that we had several extra 12v plugs inside. We have the outside A/C but sometimes think it would've been nice to add a 12v outside as well since we will be dry camping a lot (decided not to mainly b/c didn't want to add another "hole" in the shell from which water could eventually get in).

Shelves in the wardrobe are awesome. Side access door under door-side dinette bench is very useful for storing shoes out of the way. Bike ready receiver has already been useful for us.

We were unsure about the 3 burner stove & stove cover since we'll likely be setting up camp kitchen outside most of the time. In hindsight, we're really glad we got both b/c on our trip back from Chilliwack, we were in single digit (Fahrenheit) for a week with all cooking done inside and the need for the extra counter space the cover provides too. Also, happy that we got the stainless sink.

Extra insulation w/thermal windows has also already proven helpful when we were camping in the frigid weather. The coldest we experienced was 5 degrees Fahrenheit (w/below zero wind chill) one night and we were able to keep the inside of the trailer between 58-62 degrees with both the gas furnace as well as a small ceramic electric heater.

Glad we went with dual propane tanks, dual 6v batteries & solar too.

Sure wish I would've known about the lack of a dual source water heater b/c I would've definitely opted for it to minimize propane depletion when staying at a place with shore power.

Also wish I would've known about the extra propane gas connect's limitations b/c I would've likely not opted for it.

The WDH may or may not have been required but seemed to smooth out the ride.

Lift axle was nice as we traversed several non-paved/gravel roads.

Gaucho bunk hasn't been used yet but will be tested this weekend when a friend joins us for a short weekend campout in the hill country. Since it'd likely be a pain to retrofit later, I'm glad we opted for it now since there are four of us & it's nice to fit one more person if necessary.

Surprisingly, after all the frigid weather we encountered, we were still glad we had a/c b/c we actually used it one night when we were in 88 degree heat with high humidity & rain. Our 4 week trip was a great way to test out most everything due to the wildly diverse elements we experienced.

As for the luxury/style items (e.g. tv, stereo/dvd, fabric, counter tops), we're happy we got them but consider them non-essential. Fortunately we were able to do them. However, if funds dictated limited options, they would be the first thing I'd give up.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote