Options for the DIY'er - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
As has been stated...let ETI run any wires you think you might want. I installed a Victron BMV-712 and thought I could easily attach the display cable to ETI's battery monitor wiring. NOT! That wiring went in/out of small cavities between the shower wall and the kitchen area and then in very tight spaces under the stove and sink. I finally had to find an easier route thru the upper storage bins and down the rear corner of the trailer.
I took the easy route and just mounted the 712 screen above the passenger side dinette. Ironically I almost never look at that monitor and use bluetooth to see our batteries condition. We found out when our batteries failed the 712 monitor gives out a buzz that I can't hear, so Terry elbowed me to get out of bed and shut that noise off. The second time in a couple of days of that sound that only Terry can hear, the monitor showed 10.2 volts with the furnace sounding like it was hemorrhaging.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
...Ironically I almost never look at that monitor and use bluetooth to see our batteries condition.

Enjoy,

Perry
Same here...if I want to get any info I use the cellphone app.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #23
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandman View Post
I am getting very close to final build and want to gather comments on what options will net the best cost savings for the DIY'er. I've been reading this forum for several months about solar, insulation, HVAC, etc. I am a very capable mechanic and engineer, but I don't want to attempt things that are just better off left to a factory install. I want to save some money but I also don't want to get over-my-head or turn my new trailer into a hack-a-thon.

Thanks in advance!
I had two internal walls changed to solid (plywood) as I planned on mounting brackets that required some strength. I would not have wanted to do that later and at $80 each it was worth it to me.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Same here...if I want to get any info I use the cellphone app.
And, if you only use the cell phone app, Victron's "SmartShunt" is cheaper & doesn't come with a display.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Do it if you got the time, know you will enjoy the process, and you're handy. Fearless don't hurt, of course. Here are the highlights of my homeboy additions. The payback? Serious savings, intense satisfaction.
  1. Tongue box
  2. Air conditioner
  3. inverter
  4. smaller dinette table
Old 03-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I'm not planning any options by myself to save money. I am thinking to do two things because I want to do it differently from how ETI does it:

1) I want to install my own solar panels and solar charge controller, because I want stick on panels and I want an MPPT controller.
2) I will probably put on my own AC unit, because I think there is a better option than the two ETI offers.
We didn’t get the Escape solar but did the pre wire . Very glad and saved a few hundred . Got a better Mppt controller from Victron and 180 watt Lensun panels . The Escape solar was only 95 watts at the time . So very glad for installing mine own . Many more changes to to changing Formica , upholstery , higher quality marine vinyl and Sunbrella fabric , adding Smart plug , stainless outside hardware ,etc. Really made our trailer our own and really wasn’t pricey except maybe the Smart plug . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandman View Post
Effie - can you point me in the right direction here? This is one I did not consider. Thanks!

David
Yes, the Lagun is probably the one I go with, also some prefer the Springfield. For the time being I'm keeping the Escape installed table, thinking of upgrading the trailer in about a year.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
If you enjoy doing it you better to do the stuff yourself. You will end up with the way you want it . done the way you want it. however there is a few things to consider haveing them do if you plan on having these options. If you want a inverter there price is very good. I had them install both my solar panels for liability reason .First time one of these panels fly's off and injuries someone. The first question that will come up is who installed it. I did my own inverter install and battery monitor. I have found a way to get wires about anywhere I want. I haven't bought one Yet,But i suggest getting a inspection camera.
https://escapetrailer.com/escape-17a-specifications/
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #29

Trailer: 45385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Yes, the Lagun is probably the one I go with, also some prefer the Springfield. For the time being I'm keeping the Escape installed table, thinking of upgrading the trailer in about a year.

Thank you!
overlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I had two internal walls changed to solid (plywood) as I planned on mounting brackets that required some strength. I would not have wanted to do that later and at $80 each it was worth it to me.

Red - which walls did you have done and what did you mount - if I may ask?
Old 03-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
If you enjoy doing it you better to do the stuff yourself. You will end up with the way you want it . done the way you want it. however there is a few things to consider haveing them do if you plan on having these options. If you want a inverter there price is very good. I had them install both my solar panels for liability reason .First time one of these panels fly's off and injuries someone. The first question that will come up is who installed it. I did my own inverter install and battery monitor. I have found a way to get wires about anywhere I want. I haven't bought one Yet,But i suggest getting a inspection camera.
https://escapetrailer.com/escape-17a-specifications/
Yes also have a inspection camera . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #32
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
My trailer is a 19. I wanted to mount a TV bracket on the wall between the refrigerator and the bed area and a second bracket on the wall between the bathroom and the front dinette. I can transfer the TV between the brackets very quickly and easily giving us flexibility. Without the wall reinforcement the bracket can only be mounted on the corner where there is a stud. I did not like this location for a variety of reasons. I also felt that I might want to make a magazine rack and or a shelve for electronics and associated bits and pieces.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 2021 Escape
Which AC are you thinking of?
Chris94901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #34

My AC choice right now is to go with the Dometic from ETI. No doubt there are better options.