Options I Wish I Hadn't Gotten - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Options I Wish I Hadn't Gotten

My 21C was shipped to me from ETI last Tuesday. I haven't turned everything on, and operated all the systems, however I discovered a couple Options I ordered weren't worth it IMO.

Keyless Door Lock - the keyless part only opens the dead bolt. If you lock the handle with the key you'll still need the key to open the door. The Keyless Door Lock is only useful if you never lock the door handle.

Springfield Marine Pedestal for Dinette Table - I don't have the U-shaped dinette. The table is unstable. It moves when touching it, like when you are trying to eat off of it. Additionally, it's not level when the trailer is level. I'm going to have to put some wedges underneath to level it. The standard table with 2 legs would have been solid.

Wireless Temperature Gauge for Fridge - It's range is 165 feet. Not WiFi.

I may have more items once I power everything up and try operating everything.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never locked anything but the deadbolt, whether at home or in the trailer. I have the RV Lock brand keyless, and it too only locks the deadbolt wirelessly and we line it very much.

With the Springfield tighten the nuts on the cam locks as much as you can handle. After a while do it again. Once they get worked in the pedestal becomes quite stable. I had the same issues you do when mine was new, and now it works great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
For what it's worth, my table with the standard 2 poles also wiggled a lot. I even replaced the poles and bases, but no improvement. I switched to a different pedestal system, similar to Springfield, and it's much more solid.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never locked anything but the deadbolt, whether at home or in the trailer. I have the RV Lock brand keyless, and it too only locks the deadbolt wirelessly and we line it very much.

With the Springfield tighten the nuts on the cam locks as much as you can handle. After a while do it again. Once they get worked in the pedestal becomes quite stable. I had the same issues you do when mine was new, and now it works great.
Thanks Jim. Will do. That's why I like this Forum. Experienced advice!
Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Once the Springfield is properly adjusted most of the remaining wiggle comes from the plastic slide mechanism Escape uses. I remedied this mostly by installing two large knobs with threaded ends underneath in the lower piece of wood that screw through tee nuts and puts upward pressure on the tabletop itself and the mechanism. One near the front and one at the rear. These can also be used to keep people from sliding the table inadvertently when seated or to lock the table for travel.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Rep...-Knobs/3903340
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-5-1...ee-Nut/3012534

Give the Springfield a chance. You’ll probably end up appreciating it especially if you raise and lower the table regularly. Beats the heck out of the cheap dual pole system.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Once the Springfield is properly adjusted most of the remaining wiggle comes from the plastic slide mechanism Escape uses. I remedied this mostly by installing two large knobs with threaded ends underneath in the lower piece of wood that screw through tee nuts and puts upward pressure on the tabletop itself and the mechanism. One near the front and one at the rear. These can also be used to keep people from sliding the table inadvertently when seated or to lock the table for travel.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Rep...-Knobs/3903340
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-5-1...ee-Nut/3012534

Give the Springfield a chance. You’ll probably end up appreciating it especially if you raise and lower the table regularly. Beats the heck out of the cheap dual pole system.
Knobs and nuts on order! I like it!
Old 01-23-2021, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
Knobs and nuts on order! I like it!
You have to disassemble the table such that you can get the t-nuts on the underside of the lower wood piece. The act of tightening the knobs must pull the t-nut prongs into the wood. If they are simply inserted on the bottom side tightening the knobs will pull them out of the wood. I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
You have to disassemble the table such that you can get the t-nuts on the underside of the lower wood piece. The act of tightening the knobs must pull the t-nut prongs into the wood. If they are simply inserted on the bottom side tightening the knobs will pull them out of the wood. I hope that makes sense.
Cancelled order. Just went to Lowes today and picked up the parts. Installation tomorrow. I'm an aircraft mechanic. Had the correct way to install figured out. However, you didn't know that, so further clarification for someone not so mechanically inclined is why I love this Forum.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm an aircraft mechanic. Had the correct way to install figured out. However, you didn't know that, so further clarification for someone not so mechanically inclined is why I love this Forum.
Please post some pics when you are done. This is one mod I didn’t document and share on the forum.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Please post some pics when you are done. This is one mod I didn’t document and share on the forum.
Pics attached. Wobble is still not gone. The wobble is in the Springfield pedestal tubes. I tightened the pedestal thumb screws to make the clamps as tight as possible. I checked the 3 screws that hold the metal mounting plate to the table base wood. Everything on the pedestal is tight and secure. The wobble that was in the table slide itself is gone.
Attached Thumbnails
20210124_090656[1]a.jpg   20210124_090708[1]a.jpg  
Old 01-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Wireless Temperature Gauge for Fridge?

Now there is something I never knew I needed.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Pics attached. Wobble is still not gone. The wobble is in the Springfield pedestal tubes. I tightened the pedestal thumb screws to make the clamps as tight as possible. I checked the 3 screws that hold the metal mounting plate to the table base wood. Everything on the pedestal is tight and secure. The wobble that was in the table slide itself is gone.
We love the Springfield especially need it to go down every night for nylon playpen for our 3 little dogs to sleep . My solution was to cut down the table . I actually think it is too large in size for the Springfield . I only cut down the backside and the plus is the whole table will rotate. If I remember I removed 10 in . . Table is a lot more stable and I haven’t gotten around to changing to metal slides yet , still the plastic slides . Those 2 poles were horrible and they had to go ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Springfield Marine Pedestal for Dinette Table - I don't have the U-shaped dinette. The table is unstable. It moves when touching it, like when you are trying to eat off of it. Additionally, it's not level when the trailer is level. I'm going to have to put some wedges underneath to level it. The standard table with 2 legs would have been solid.
I suspect it is the side to side slide that is loose on your table which comes on the two post table too. There should be a black knob under the front of the part of the table which is used to stabilize and lock the side to side slide. If it is not there check the drawers for a threaded rod with a black knob on it. If it's not under the front of the table or in a drawer start looking for it on the floor. The black knob likes to loosen up when driving, so I drop the table down when driving. I'm planning on adding a nylock nut to the slide knob as it has worked its way completely out and fallen on the floor on a couple off occasions.

If it is the Springfield Pedestal there are adjustments on the locks to tighten it up. My Springfield Pedestal is solid and I'm glad I got it. As I mentioned above, since the table tends to slide side to side when travelling, I put it down when driving. The Springfield pedestal makes it a breeze to put up and down, even if it's at a quick stop for lunch or a snack in the rest area.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Keyless Door Lock - the keyless part only opens the dead bolt. If you lock the handle with the key you'll still need the key to open the door. The Keyless Door Lock is only useful if you never lock the door handle.
The handle locks have dealer master keys. The dead bolt is the only keyed lock that does not have a dealer master key. This is so RVs at the dealership can be 'locked' without the salesperson having to run back to the office to show different RVs to potential buyer. So if someone has a dealer master key, locking your handle doesn't do anything anyway.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Options I have never used in the two years I have owned my rig include:
1. the low pressure propane hookup - I find it better to carry a small tank because it gives me way more flexibility on where to set up my BBQ; should never have wasted my money on this one!
2. the 12v heating pads - Have spent many nights at up to a few degrees below zero and have never had issues; simply disconnect my water intake if I'm at a campsite and reconnect in the morning when temp is back above freezing. Boondocking I find that even at 25 degrees F the foam on the bottom and my heat in the trailer seems to keep my water tanks happy! This option may be useful for colder temps but for me should never have wasted my money on this one!
3. 110 outlet above dinette behind TV and up in bed area; waste here too. I have 12V outlets installed as well and now I own a 22 inch 12v TV and it is way better than the old 110v TV; on some rainy days while boondocking I have literally run this TV off batteries all day and night long with no issues - the old one would kill the batteries. In hind sight did not need 110 volt outlets at bed or dinette for TV.
4. Rooftop Air Conditioner - this option I have used rarely, literally 90% of the time we simply keep our MaxxFan running and it easily cools our trailer down to where its comfortable, that said, we're snowbirds and so we have not camped in extremely hot weather. However, if I could go back I wish I would have skipped it and gone for an aftermarket mini split; ours is very noisy!

Cheers!!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Temp thermometers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Wireless Temperature Gauge for Fridge?

Now there is something I never knew I needed.
I gotta know how the ice cream and food is doing in the fridge and how my beer and pop are doing in the Engel so we have three read outs. Wouldn’t leave home without them.
Not very expensive.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-24-2021, 09:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
However, if I could go back I wish I would have skipped it and gone for an aftermarket mini split; ours is very noisy!

I know Escape has listened to a lot of feedback to improve their trailers but I still think they are missing it with the A/C. If they want to further differentiate their trailers a factory split heat pump system (whisper quiet heating and cooling) is the way to do it. Can’t believe that even Oliver gets away with slapping a loud rooftop unit on a $60K+ trailer.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Options I have never used in the two years I have owned my rig include:
1. the low pressure propane hookup - I find it better to carry a small tank because it gives me way more flexibility on where to set up my BBQ; should never have wasted my money on this one!
2. the 12v heating pads - Have spent many nights at up to a few degrees below zero and have never had issues; simply disconnect my water intake if I'm at a campsite and reconnect in the morning when temp is back above freezing. Boondocking I find that even at 25 degrees F the foam on the bottom and my heat in the trailer seems to keep my water tanks happy! This option may be useful for colder temps but for me should never have wasted my money on this one!
3. 110 outlet above dinette behind TV and up in bed area; waste here too. I have 12V outlets installed as well and now I own a 22 inch 12v TV and it is way better than the old 110v TV; on some rainy days while boondocking I have literally run this TV off batteries all day and night long with no issues - the old one would kill the batteries. In hind sight did not need 110 volt outlets at bed or dinette for TV.
4. Rooftop Air Conditioner - this option I have used rarely, literally 90% of the time we simply keep our MaxxFan running and it easily cools our trailer down to where its comfortable, that said, we're snowbirds and so we have not camped in extremely hot weather. However, if I could go back I wish I would have skipped it and gone for an aftermarket mini split; ours is very noisy!

Cheers!!!
I absolutely love the benefit of your Option 1 option. Wouldn't be without it. We do not have your Option 2, and agree that it is just not something I would use. Option 3 I have to agree with, and in fact the whole TV setup as in 4 years the TV still has only seen one use. Option 4 can go either way, but I fully understand your perspective as our A/C too has seen use maybe 2% of the time tops, but who knows in the future?

My Escape for the most part, being my second one, has very little added at the factory other than that discussed above that I would do different. Of course, there are some newer options that were not available in 2016 that I might have a look at.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:

I guess its possible that there is something wrong with the base . I would contact Springfield . maybe they can solve problem.. I know mine was unstable at delivery and I done what Jim suggested and it took the wobble out. Is the attachment to the floor solid? was the table in the down position at delivery?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

I know Escape has listened to a lot of feedback to improve their trailers but I still think they are missing it with the A/C. If they want to further differentiate their trailers a factory split heat pump system (whisper quiet heating and cooling) is the way to do it. Can’t believe that even Oliver gets away with slapping a loud rooftop unit on a $60K+ trailer.
Strongly agree! Last year in New Orleans we met this wonderful couple who owned a new Escape 19. When they bought theirs they skipped the rooftop AC and then had a minisplit installed aftermarket; the main unit sat on a retrofit of their back bumper; really nicely set up. The evening when we were in their trailer they ran that AC and I was astounded at how quiet it was and how much air it moved!!! it was almost silent with all the windows and doors closed; wow!! I wish I would have thought of this solution but unfortunately my inexperience failed me on this one
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote