Options List Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Options List Questions

One item on the option list is the 2 way hot water heater. Isnt a gas and electric 2 way included in the base trailer or is it only propane?

Is it worth adding the extra window in the bathroom and above the cook top?

Does anyone have a photo of what the U shaped dinette looks like in the Escape 19?

Just a newbie trying to figure out what we need to order.
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Propane only water heater is standard.

I got dual, even though I rarely use electric. Just nice to conserve propane a bit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Bathroom window is nice; good ventilation without power and you don't care if you forget to close it to keep rain from coming in.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
We got the dual too, but I am on the fence as to if I would again. We only turn on the tank shortly before we use it as it heats water quite quickly. I think it will take a very long time to save in propane costs the $200CDN we extra spent. I am sure if we ever stay long term at a park with hookups I would be less on the fence.
Linda and Bob in Boise
Linda G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Too easy to blow out the electric in a dual water heater, you have propane for the stove and furnace why not the water heater. You will need to save a lot propane over several years to recoup the $200 price. Bath and kitchen windows are nice, more air, more light. I you look at the "It's Friday...... thread, you will find "U" pictures in a 19 Escape.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
One item on the option list is the 2 way hot water heater. Isnt a gas and electric 2 way included in the base trailer or is it only propane?

If I was only allowed 1 window on the entire trailer, I'd probably put it in the bathroom. In bad weather you can open it and not care if cold air and/or water are coming in. If it's cold outside you'll probably prefer not to open a window above where you are sleeping. If you ever use your shower, you'll be happy to have a passive vent to allow evaporation that doesn't have a path that goes through the main interior, especially if it's cold outside. The cooktop window would be my second choice for window placement. Like the bathroom window it provides a place for cold air to come in and mix with hot air before it hits your body. It also is nice while cooking so that exhaust fumes have a place to come from that sweeps across the stove on the way to the vent fan.

I got the 2 way water heater. I'd probably not bother if I were doing it again.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 17
Didn't need extra windows here and would not be without the electric water heater. Heats fast.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
My thoughts inline -

Quote:

I would add the two way hot water heater. Ours is propane only, but the electric heats more quickly, and saves propane when you have hookups.

Yes, absolutely. More windows means more light. A good thing. Also, the opening window in the kitchen is our most used window in the whole trailer. Great ventilation when used with the Maxx Fan.

Does anyone have a photo of what the U shaped dinette looks like in the Escape 19?

I've attached it below.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0631.jpg  
Old 07-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The $200 had nothing to do with my decision. Anyone here could delete thousands of dollars of options and still do fine. It is more that I wanted to minimize the time spent buying propane, and to have full time got water when hooked up.

You can enjoy camping without a window in the bathroom, but the natural light sure is nice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As above but we find being able to easily pass in a hose to give the black tank a good rinse is very convenient. We do that every dump if possible.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We love our window over the kitchen sink and also in the bathroom. Very glad we got them. We have the U shaped dinette and are very happy with our decision. We had ETI makes us a single post 24" round table in the dinette area with a recessed hole and a raised floor. We have two filler boards we can use if we want to make the area into a bed. So far we LOVE our dinette set up. No real feeling on the water heater. Just what works for you.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I may have dreamed this, or misunderstood, but I swear someone told me they use propane and 120V AC electric simultaneously to heat their hot water super fast for showers and such. I haven't tried or even looked into it, but is that even possible?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As above but we find being able to easily pass in a hose to give the black tank a good rinse is very convenient. We do that every dump if possible.

Ron
Same here and do the same with the window and rinsing out the black tank . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I may have dreamed this, or misunderstood, but I swear someone told me they use propane and 120V AC electric simultaneously to heat their hot water super fast for showers and such. I haven't tried or even looked into it, but is that even possible?
Yes, the two heat sources are controlled independently and can operate simultaneously. Combined, the time to heat up the water is much shorter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I have posted this previously. The recovery numbers are here.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post166863
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I got the 2 way hot water tank and am glad I did. If I have power hookups, sometimes I don't even have to turn the propane on.

I'm probably one of the few that didn't get the extra kitchen or bathroom windows, and I'm fine with that. While I frequently cook inside, I certainly don't spend much time standing at the stove-sink. I thought I might be claustrophobic showering without a window, but the light is bright and it's fine. I leave the bathroom fan on for a few hours and keep the door closed and I don't notice excessive humidity in the rest of the trailer.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Gotta weigh in with an opinion on the hot water heater. We just lost our second control module that runs the propane side of the water heater. Fortunately we are camped with full hookups for the next 2 months so we have hot water from the electric side while we go through the process of getting a new module. In my opinion the propane function is a "must" too if you ever have any intention of dry camping (you're gonna get the propane WH anyway). But given that we're going to be installing the third module soon and given that we know of others who have lost the propane control module, it just doesn't make sense to not get the electric if you wish to have a reliable backup system - that is, unless you will be exclusively dry camping in which case go ahead and save the couple hundred dollars. While you would assume the propane would be more reliable, we are finding exactly the opposite to be true.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Hi RandyT,

Quote:

We have the LP and electric model. We dry camp more often that not, so LP is essential for us. We like to be prepared for we like having both options available. It depends on your lifestyle.

We have the bathroom window and would do it again.

We have a kitchen window but don't have one by the stove.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We have a kitchen window but don't have one by the stove.
The kitchen window can not be near the stove for safety reasons, that is why it is always closer to the sink, regardless of the sink's location.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I went with the propane only hot water heater. Average fill to propane tank is every 30 days or so. Found a fill station for $6.00 on Saturdays. So $.20 per day for fridge, cooking, heat and hot water. Guesstimate a nickel a day for hot water. There are a lot of nickels to hit the break even point!