Orientation - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The movie RV with Robin Williams shows a similar sign as he's barreling out of the campground. This one is at Yellowstone River Campground in Billings, MT.
I take a few pictures of signs I find interesting. Some are poorly worded, some send the wrong message and years ago when I lived in Missouri, the deer crossing warning signs showed buck deer with their antlers on backwards. Then there are campground signs that make us realize that there is more than one kind of tow rig and fee signs that can be a little confusing. Q. Can I pull a 17B with a Belgian? A. Yes, if you keep a shovel in the side box.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
60729B24-A99A-4469-BBA8-A5E1B10EED63.jpg   3DADC1B8-27B3-4564-AE40-5C2171EDF7E7.jpg  
Old 11-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I never had a printed checklist when I was flying, but I was only licensed to fly gliders. With no engine and non-retractable landing gear, there are not a lot of items on the checklist. There is something to be said for simplicity.
I too had the cockpit checklist memorized when I got my glider pilots license. They did not rely on written lists. However, I do have to admit that during training I once missing the part where you latch/secure the canopy. While under tow it flew open. in the moment it took to reach up to close it I neglected keeping my nose down, gained a fair bit of altitude, went "oh crap" and nosed down too much creating slack in the tow line. Without the pull of the glider, the tow plane sped up until the tow line rapidly became taut resulting in a rope break. I was now only a few hundred feet off the ground a ways upwind of the airstrip, scouted out a hay field and did an emergency landing. In hind sight, and with more experience (this was my 3rd solo) I could have probably turned around and did a downwind landing on the airstrip. They were just glad I brought the glider down safely and gave me my wings.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too had the cockpit checklist memorized when I got my glider pilots license. They did not rely on written lists. However, I do have to admit that during training I once missing the part where you latch/secure the canopy. While under tow it flew open. in the moment it took to reach up to close it I neglected keeping my nose down, gained a fair bit of altitude, went "oh crap" and nosed down too much creating slack in the tow line. Without the pull of the glider, the tow plane sped up until the tow line rapidly became taut resulting in a rope break. I was now only a few hundred feet off the ground a ways upwind of the airstrip, scouted out a hay field and did an emergency landing. In hind sight, and with more experience (this was my 3rd solo) I could have probably turned around and did a downwind landing on the airstrip. They were just glad I brought the glider down safely and gave me my wings.
Hi: Jim Bennett... A good landing is one that you made and are able to use the plane again!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

And ETI staff can't help much with defining the checklist at orientation, in part because the each owner's towing equipment varies (e.g. WD or not), trailer contents vary (e.g. TV to secure?), and procedural choices vary (chocks? tire brakes such as the X-Chock? leveling ramps or blocks or jack?).
That, and the huge difference is the buyer's backgrounds. Newbie's are awed by all the stuff told to them while folks with experience look at stoves, fridges, hot water tanks, water pumps and furnaces that they've had previously and think, no biggie, let's get on the road.

I think that ETI's job is to deliver a finished road worthy trailer. I don't expect when I go to pick up my new truck that they'll ask me if I need driving lessons or know how to change the tire.

Personally I don't use check lists for sailing or trailering. The routines are firmly implanted. They might vary a bit based on the situation but the same pattern is followed each time with my responsibility for the exterior and my wife's for the interior. The only mistake we've ever made is one crunched plastic chock. It still works and it still is in use so it serves as a good reminder to do the final walk around as I head to the tug.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That, and the huge difference is the buyer's backgrounds.

I think that ETI's job is to deliver a finished road worthy trailer.

Personally I don't use check lists for sailing or trailering. The routines are firmly implanted.
Good points, Ron.

There is no way for Escape to provide an orientation that meets the needs of everyone. Folks need to learn on their own. I was one that just went over a couple things new to me and wanted to get outta Dodge.

The trailer is what we are after, the other stuff is just fluff, though a nice thing for Escape to do to help start those that are newer to RVs to get a bit of a start.

For me personally I can't agree more about the checklists. I think they can make folks become complacent, relying on them too much. Sure, a mistake can be made, but this only helps to ingrain this certain detail into your memory. I have scrunched a chock before too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
For me personally I can't agree more about the checklists. I think they can make folks become complacent, relying on them too much.

I cannot follow this argument.
From JB: "I do have to admit that during training I once missing the part where you latch/secure the canopy".

As one becomes familiar with the systems and develops a routine, the checklist is referred to less and less. I still go over my list, but skip over parts of it, knowing I've done all that.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

As one becomes familiar with the systems and develops a routine, the checklist is referred to less and less. I still go over my list, but skip over parts of it, knowing I've done all that.
If you work at it long enough, it will come to you.

I just do the same, except I skip over all of it as I already have done those things.

I just prefer to rely on something ingrained in my own mind than rely on a list of what I should do, whether with packing up the trailer, or heading to the football game (just one example).

You know, it is alright for others to do things differently if they wish.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
If you work at it long enough, it will come to you.

I'll do that next time I'm waiting for my flight to take off.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #49

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
ETI provided me with a laminated check list when I picked up my 5.0 last year. I use it - doesn't cover everything but helpful. i just glance at it to see if I've forgotten anything - plate in microwave awning switch in off position etc. Its also helpful if someone else is helping and not as familiar with what needs to be done. Its the little things not easily seen that i forget.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #50
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
From JB: "I do have to admit that during training I once missing the part where you latch/secure the canopy".

There's no rational argument to be made against check lists. Commercial pilots are required to use them. We use them in surgery... they work. That said, I've still not gotten around to printing one up for us to use. Which might explain why we keep forgetting things.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Checklists

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
There's no rational argument to be made against check lists. Commercial pilots are required to use them. We use them in surgery... they work. That said, I've still not gotten around to printing one up for us to use. Which might explain why we keep forgetting things.
We fully agree. To paraphrase the advertising slogan. “ Escape Checklist or you might leave home without it.”
Iowa Dave
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #52

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19', 2009 Casita 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
If you haven’t done so, watch the orientation video several times. Get very familiar with all the features they show in the video. Have them demonstrate any items you are not sure of. Ask if your trailer has already been winterized and whether you want it winterized for your trip home. Have them demonstrate the water heater by-pass positions.
I would not take any notes, but pay close attention to what is being said and ask any questions you are not sure of. Good luck!
I totally agree with Steve -- watching the orientation video a couple of times was a huge help for orientation.

We ran through the awning open/close/prepare for travel a couple of times at our orientation, and had bunch of little questions, but since we were coming from a Casita, it was more of a "how is this different" type of thing.

Rick
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #53

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuma View Post
Hi,

We will be picking up our 17B this Wednesday. Can anyone share with us what to expect, things to look for or questions to ask. The orientation is only a short time so we want come prepared and don't want to overlook anything.

Thank you in advance.
I will just tell you what "surprised us". aka what we didn't know and hope something helps you. 1. we didn't quite catch that the US import regulations mean that NOTHING can go into your new trailer until the staff have it safely across the border (which we picked up at Bob's Burgers and Brew) - a big parking lot next to that restaurant. This was SO CUTE. We were a bit confused by the fact that we pulled our car into hook up to the trailer so they could adjust everything and teach us what we needed to know, then it got unhooked and the above happens. The orientation itself is good and you have plenty of time to ask questions. The first part is done in a room set up with trailer stuff to go over -- the second part is just you and the trainer in your trailer. We took plenty of pictures so we wouldn't forget.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
Canadian Customs

Quote:
Hi,

We will be picking up our 17B this Wednesday. Can anyone share with us what to expect, things to look for or questions to ask. The orientation is only a short time so we want come prepared and don't want to overlook anything.

Thank you in advance.
This probably won’t be an issue for you, but for some reason I had an awful time with Canadian customs. I don’t know why ETI makes American customers cross the border for orientation when there are so many easy ways to offer orientation on the American side and most of their customers are American.
For example, train the guy that takes your unit across the border to do the orientation, or use educational software such as camtasia to make a high quality searchable video.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f33/canadian-customs-purgatory-11828.html
If you are put through the wringer, be sure to post a description of your experience to trailer forums. It makes it way back to both American and Canadian customs They are less likely to run roughshod over you in the future knowing they will be held accountable
DSiepierski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #55

Mattress issues:

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you in advance.
If your mattress is right next to the sink, as is mine, purchase and install a waterproof mattress cover. I christened my mattress with a bottle of merlot two hours after taking delivery. If you are planning on cold weather camping fold a few layers of Reflectix insulation and insert between the mattress and the outside wall to prevent condensation problems.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #56

The lady that did my orientation was very thorough but wasn’t very clear on how to operate the rock guard props. It took me several weeks to realize they weren’t broken and how to properly operate, adjust and install them.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Re bed next to cooking area. In my a frame i had that situation and i purchased a fairly rigid panel which i think was meant for overhead fluorescent lights. I just slid it between the mattress and the kitchen area, vertically. It stuck up about a foot or so and kept a lot of spills and splashes off of the bed.