Orientation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I know of at least one ex-pilot who is an Escape owner, in fact Arizona Jack had a E19 which he sold to Iowa Dave and then 2 years later an E21, again sold to Iowa Dave. Each trailer has a Dynamaker label list by door with reminders. Jack now owns an Escape 17 which may be in Iowa Dave's future, have not seen the doorway for that list, yet!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We have a get ready checklist that’s pretty long and “personal” such as not everyone needs dog food and a leash etc.

I don't see beer and Cheezies.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Orientation

Our checklist is also specific to our rig. Note: Each sublist is ordered for a clockwise sequence around that area, excepting hooking up and unhooking.

Trailer Drive-Away Checklist

Inside Checks
⁃Awning power Off
⁃Galley sink drain Closed
⁃Stove/oven Secured
⁃Oven pilot light OFF
⁃Water pump OFF
⁃Water heater Propane OFF
⁃Water heater 120V OFF
⁃12V Heat pads OFF
⁃Thermostat OFF
⁃Fridge contents Secured
⁃Fridge latch Secured
⁃Fridge set to Propane
⁃Cell Booster OFF
⁃WiFi Booster OFF
⁃Bath sink/shower drains Secured
⁃Bath window, ceiling vent & door Secured
⁃Maxx Fan OFF or Auto
⁃Table Secured
⁃Battery Disconnect ON
⁃Lights OFF
⁃Loose items Secured
⁃Cabinet doors Secured
⁃All windows Secured

Outside Checks
⁃Awning Secured
⁃Door Locked
⁃Step Stowed
⁃Stove vent Secured
⁃Power Disconnected and Stowed
⁃Water Disconnected and Stowed
⁃Cell Antenna Secured
⁃Sewer Disconnected and Stowed
⁃Front Rock Shield Secured
⁃Exterior Lights Off
⁃Stabilizing jacks Stowed
⁃Tire pressure Checked

Hitching
⁃Hitch coupler Closed and Locked
⁃WDH bars Affixed
⁃Tongue jack Raised
⁃Safety chains Crossed & Secured
⁃7pin electrical Connected
⁃Break-away cable Connected
⁃Brake/turn lights Checked
⁃Wheel chocks and levelers Stowed
⁃Front storage box Locked
⁃Drive!

Unhitching
⁃Level trailer side to side
⁃Chock wheels, both sides
⁃Disconnect 7pin electric
⁃Disconnect safety brake cable
⁃Disconnect safety chains
⁃Raise hitch with tongue jack to detension WDH
⁃Remove WDH bars
⁃Lower hitch until you can unlock hitch
⁃Unlock hitch
⁃Raise hitch to clear ball
⁃Pull tow vehicle forward
⁃Adjust tongue jack to level front to back
⁃Deploy stabilizers
⁃Camp!
Old 11-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #24

Good list Scott. The only thing I see that is missing is "Checklist".
That was the first item on the FGRV list that I copied my original list from.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Torque wrench

At orientation we were told to check the torque on lug nuts after some distance (which would not have gotten us home). I would have brought a torque wrench if I had known of this beforehand.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #26

Probably want a breaker bar to go with the torque wrench.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
At orientation we were told to check the torque on lug nuts after some distance (which would not have gotten us home). I would have brought a torque wrench if I had known of this beforehand.
...........and, if you have the standard steel wheels, don’t forget one of these to get the plastic hubs off:
Attached Thumbnails
E7B33046-8694-47C7-9A9C-E222361C958A.jpg  

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:31 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now I need a check list to check my list.......
Old 11-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As I see these lists I have to wonder how many honestly go through them every time they hook up and take off. We do both do a walk around before we take off.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We only do a walk around too, but then I have Deb to remind me of everything I forget.

Of course this thread was about orientations.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We only do a walk around too, but then I have Deb to remind me of everything I forget.

Of course this thread was about orientations.
Hi: padlin... I seem to forget more and more. Then again so does SWMBO. Between the two of us we have one good mind!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't see beer and Cheezies.
Beer, Cheezies, Candy, soda pop are all in the tow vehicle. Yes it’s true, I stopped for gas once in Quebec and got back in the truck to drive away realizing something was wrong when there was some pounding on the side of my pickup. Rita was running alongside of the truck as I had left her behind. I had no defense and did not know some of the French words she did. So when I saw a sign when leaving a campground in Buffalo Wyoming a few years ago I had to check my checklist a second time. “Antenna down, step stowed, wife on board? Happy Trails! I’ve left behind one dog tie out cable in the last 6 years and that was because it was not on the list.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I guess there are 2 issues here, orientation for your new Escape and how each accessory operates versus orientation to a new camper, how to level and use stabilizers and hooking/unhooking. In my opinion the second item, general trailer procedures, is not Escape's responsibility, but the owners. Escape expects you to know these items just as if you were buying a new car, you are expected to know how to drive, but explaining the features on a new car would handled by the dealer.
Therefore the emphasis is on the trailer and how each item is to be used.
The point I’m trying to make is to teach the orientation in a more systematic order. Typically, when you set up and then get ready to leave, you follow a routine. Just like the example of the pilots check list. The routine is followed for a reason. To randomly go through how everything works is harder to assimilate (for me) than showing how things work in a typical routine. By following a routine, I don’t feel the need to have a checklist. If I’ve missed some, I can feel it. I get the feeling that others who feel they are overwhelmed with orie, are beginners like I was. The intimidating part, is that we are beginning at the start of a huge journey. In my case, that was 9 weeks of travel. If this doesn’t work for you, we can agree to disagree.
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Checklists

As an old, retired commercial pilot and flight instructor, using checklists is an ingrained part of my life. They are used in aviation in order to avoid forgetting important things that may keep you alive in time of stress.

I have witnessed two wheels-up landings in my flying time. As is said in aviation about wheels-up landings, there are those who have and those who will. Those who have were obviously not following a pre-landing checklist. You will likely never forget something important about your trailer under normal circumstances but using a checklist will prevent you from forgetting something important in a time of stress. Thanks to those who have posted your checklists in this thread! They will be the basis of one for our new E21'.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
As an old, retired commercial pilot and flight instructor, using checklists is an ingrained part of my life. They are used in aviation in order to avoid forgetting important things that may keep you alive in time of stress.

I have witnessed two wheels-up landings in my flying time. As is said in aviation about wheels-up landings, there are those who have and those who will. Those who have were obviously not following a pre-landing checklist. You will likely never forget something important about your trailer under normal circumstances but using a checklist will prevent you from forgetting something important in a time of stress. Thanks to those who have posted your checklists in this thread! They will be the basis of one for our new E21'.
Interesting. If you don’t mind my asking what type of aircraft have you piloted. I have always been fascinated with aviation and when I get the chance any flight museum or airport runway I’m watching!

Thanks.
lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I never had a printed checklist when I was flying, but I was only licensed to fly gliders. With no engine and non-retractable landing gear, there are not a lot of items on the checklist. There is something to be said for simplicity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I never had a printed checklist when I was flying, but I was only licensed to fly gliders. With no engine and non-retractable landing gear, there are not a lot of items on the checklist. There is something to be said for simplicity.
Times have changed Brian. You'd be grounded pretty quick these days if you ignored following check lists for pre-flight and landing if you were doing a check ride.

I do fly with retractable gear and that's one mistake I don't ever want to make.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I do fly with retractable gear and that's one mistake I don't ever want to make.

Ron
You said it. I was an air traffic controller for about 10 years while I was in the Air Force. One of the first pieces of phraseology we learned was "check wheels down" whenever we gave a landing clearance. Despite that, I did have to give a few go arounds over the years when I spotted an aircraft on short final that was still wheels up.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Times have changed Brian. You'd be grounded pretty quick these days if you ignored following check lists for pre-flight and landing if you were doing a check ride.
I didn't say that I ignored checklists! We had them memorized, and called out every item to ourselves and to anyone else in the aircraft. With no controls other than the basic flight controls (stick and pedals) and a spoiler/brake handle, the landing checklist is short.

Quote:
Many sailplanes do have retractable gear, but if what I was flying didn't have the wheel down, it must have disintegrated and fallen off during the take-off run... no way to check that from the inside the cockpit. No dumping ballast water either, when you don't carry ballast. Can't switch to the right radio frequency with no radio. And so on...

Seriously, the more complex the machine the longer and more important the checklist. For instance, if you add a WD system and sway control device to your trailer, you've just added multiple items to your list. Even if you remember them, you're more likely (due to the greater complexity) to miss one of the basic items such as latching the coupler or hooking up safety chains or electrical cable or breakaway cable. I actually have a reminder system for our current RV (due to things which are easy to miss otherwise); the system needs to match the rig.

And ETI staff can't help much with defining the checklist at orientation, in part because the each owner's towing equipment varies (e.g. WD or not), trailer contents vary (e.g. TV to secure?), and procedural choices vary (chocks? tire brakes such as the X-Chock? leveling ramps or blocks or jack?).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
So when I saw a sign when leaving a campground in Buffalo Wyoming a few years ago I had to check my checklist a second time. “Antenna down, step stowed, wife on board? Happy Trails!
The movie RV with Robin Williams shows a similar sign as he's barreling out of the campground. This one is at Yellowstone River Campground in Billings, MT.
Attached Thumbnails
camp sign.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote