Our Escape's Nest - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2022, 07:38 AM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Our Escape's Nest

With a little less that 2 months until our 21C ,"Side Effect", will be attached to our F150 in Sumas for its maiden voyage back home we thought it was time to start building our Escape's Nest.

While it's not a sheltered nest we do have water and now I'm wandering if we should pull over 30 Amp power. Unfortunately our sewer access is on the other side of the house. Otherwise we could have a full hook up nest.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4123a.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #2

Moving 50 tons of rock with a John Deere skid steer was sure easier than dragging around those 12' 6x6's.

Everyone should get to play with a skid steer at least once in their life.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4051.jpg   IMG_4053a.jpg   IMG_4054a.jpg  
Old 08-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Utilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
With a little less that 2 months until our 21C ,"Side Effect", will be attached to our F150 in Sumas for its maiden voyage back home we thought it was time to start building our Escape's Nest.

While it's not a sheltered nest we do have water and now I'm wandering if we should pull over 30 Amp power. Unfortunately our sewer access is on the other side of the house. Otherwise we could have a full hook up nest.
From my experience the 30 amp RV plug and service are more useful than the water hookup.
With water to fill the tanks, wash the trailer or the like on “not very often” occasions, you can always run a hose out there.

With the Electric you can stay plugged in and keep your battery (ies) charged up, run your air conditioning, an electric heater etc, if you’re going to work in or clean or just hide out in your Escape. It’s pretty nice to not worry about batteries or burn propane if you don’t have to. We have a little different setup but enjoy having the electric right alongside of the trailer. My brother and I ran whatever code was for wire size for a 30 amp breaker and ran # 12 for a 20 amp service through the same conduit. You won’t miss the money in the long run.

Nice looking fencing. Skid steers are pretty intuitive. I do not own one but used them in the past. Our New Holland TC40D tractor/loader to grade out the approach to our “Nest”. Four tandem loads of black dirt and one load of river stone to finish out the south “Keystone” retaining wall. No regrets after 4 years. Best of luck in picking up and coming home with your new Escape.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #4

Our panel box is about 120 feet away so proper wire sizing will be key. We have 400 amp service so we still have plenty of power available.

Cost of running the power is not the issue. It's the effort doing it.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Effort

I hear that. Sometimes I feel fortunate that cost is not an issue and then I feel pathetic that I’m short in the energy to do the project. It’s the opposite of what it was 40 years ago. I have younger people to help me but they have busy lives too. As I often say
“Too many irons in the fire and not enough fire.”.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just have 15 amp electric service at my Escape pad and have found it to be adequate for my needs.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I hear that. Sometimes I feel fortunate that cost is not an issue and then I feel pathetic that I’m short in the energy to do the project. It’s the opposite of what it was 40 years ago. I have younger people to help me but they have busy lives too. As I often say
“Too many irons in the fire and not enough fire.”.
Iowa Dave
I remember when I was 4 asking my grandfather who was a young 52 years old:
"Grandpa, what's it like to be old?"

I've never forgotten what he said as he pointed to his head.
"Up here, I'm still 12".

His answer continues to keep me young in spirit as time pushes me along its path.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Willy, That's a nice nest! You are going to love having your Escape close by for loading, maintenance, modifications, and as a getaway. I agree with Dave's comments on having electric available. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new "Side Effect". Hope you enjoy your Escape as much as we have and that you have a great trip out to Sumas and back! Matt
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
Willy, That's a nice nest! You are going to love having your Escape close by for loading, maintenance, modifications, and as a getaway. I agree with Dave's comments on having electric available. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new "Side Effect". Hope you enjoy your Escape as much as we have and that you have a great trip out to Sumas and back! Matt
Thank you to you and your wife for your hospitality when we toured your Escape. You were both absolutely wonderful hosts. When we left your house we were 100% convinced that Escape was the choice for us. We drove directly home and placed our Escape 21NE deposit.

We ended up switching to the 21C only because my wife liked the "Chest of Drawers". Funny how little things like that can mean so much.

Side Effect will look like this inside except it will have Mineral Jet tops and Oak cabinetry. This was the result of days and days of calm deliberation and the proper thieving of ideas from other Escapees.
Attached Thumbnails
273167896_5160866220601385_823994873197940344_n.jpg  
Old 08-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Moving 50 tons of rock with a John Deere skid steer was sure easier than dragging around those 12' 6x6's.

Everyone should get to play with a skid steer at least once in their life.
That's what I found. Moved 27 tons of gravel by wheelbarrow when I was a young guy building my house. Too poor at the time to rent a Bobcat. But over the years I've never missed an opportunity to rent either a Bobcat or a small excavator. Love the hand-eye co-ordination required to end up getting a full bucket to its' destination.

Of the 3 items to have at a trailer pad electricity would be the hands down winner.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 E21C
You've got your location nicely prepared. The most important provision now for me would be shelter. Shelter from the sun especially makes the difference in retaining a long lasting fiberglass luster unless you're into polishing.
John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
You've got your location nicely prepared. The most important provision now for me would be shelter. Shelter from the sun especially makes the difference in retaining a long lasting fiberglass luster unless you're into polishing.
John
A 12' x 24' covered metal carport is in the future. Plus, electricity.

Skid steer rental, 50 tons of rock, a mess of 6' x 6's, electricity and a cover. The work and cost of my Escape's Nest is the price to pay for longevity. Me included.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:26 PM   #13

Exciting news!

We just received an email that said our Escape has Entered Production!
Old 09-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Congratulations! Get ready for the big trip!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:27 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
John
Cover (including sides) makes a huge difference for storing with the tires always shaded. I usually get 8-10 years out of a set as the rig only sees sun half a dozen times per year or so, and usually for 7-10 days each trip.

I also run a TPMS just in case I go low or overtemp.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:54 PM   #16

The front of our Escape will face due West so the Southern facing tires will get the most sun. Debating on building tire protectors or buying the slip-on style.

I will need to design a solar protective cover for the Rock Shield.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:35 PM   #17

After setting a few, really heavy, 6 x 6 treated ties I have made a new friend. Advil is her name!

Honestly, it was really not that much work but after chemo it was surprisingly more difficult that I thought. Just call me a sissy. I can take it.

It is setup to support a 12 x 24 metal carport. All I need now is our 21C.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2022, 10:45 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
A 12' x 24' covered metal carport is in the future. Plus, electricity.

Skid steer rental, 50 tons of rock, a mess of 6' x 6's, electricity and a cover. The work and cost of my Escape's Nest is the price to pay for longevity. Me included.
Well, I'm jealous. All we've got are a few paving stones and a 10x20 canopy I finally got for our Casita to keep the tree junk off. The 21C just fits under it, and quite a trick backing over the front yard into the canopy. But we do have city water, and 30A power. So far the canopy has withstood one winter. . .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8030_sm_sm.jpg  
Old 10-03-2022, 10:28 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Well, I'm jealous. All we've got are a few paving stones and a 10x20 canopy I finally got for our Casita to keep the tree junk off. The 21C just fits under it, and quite a trick backing over the front yard into the canopy. But we do have city water, and 30A power. So far the canopy has withstood one winter. . .
Heck, I'm even jealous of your simple canopy. Here, we're not allowed to have those sorts of structures. "Don't meet building code" yada, yada.

The trailer cover, with a layer of painter's drop sheet under it, does a good job but I'd love to have a rigid structure.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:52 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Having a shelter protects the tires and the fibreglass but we found the decals on our first 5.0 were well faded on the passenger side. Alf who owned the 5.0 before had it parked so that that side faced south as did we.

Our 5.0TA is now protected under cover with the rear facing west and open at the roof line so that the solar keeps the batteries charged up through the winter even our Northern clime. I do have a 15 amp plug in nearby but rarely plug the trailer into it.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote