Outfitting New Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2020, 10:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Don't you DARE use the Devil's Spawn on your trailer!
oh, golly, not ON your trailer! for the things INSIDE your trailer, for space saving, like all the things I listed.
Although I see the misspelling -- silicone, not silicon.
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukwilma View Post
oh, golly, not ON your trailer! for the things INSIDE your trailer, for space saving, like all the things I listed.
Although I see the misspelling -- silicone, not silicon.
Gotcha.... Silicone dishes are a-okay. Silicone gunk... caulk is not.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #23

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Hello

OK. LOL and you’re all correct!

First, I DO appreciate the links to the collapsible items as well as the other suggestions for the basics and tools.

This trip has to be the basics, pared down, as it’s just going to be two weeks. Besides The necessary items to keep the trailer running safely and secured while camping, Bedding, clothes and a couple of cookware and dining ware items are really all we need for now.

I think I was being lured by some of the threads and websites with all of the modifications, and gadgets, and frankly became overwhelmed.

I found a few websites with “RV must haves”, and proceeded to pad my Amazon wish list with these items. It’s now 50+ items long, which I know I won’t go over or purchase or until much later in our camping trips. (Also, I’ve got to stop hitting that add to cart button!)

I just vaguely recall the first time we had the Escape , and knowing there were things I had wanted to outfit it with. I’ve long since lost that list which is why I came to the forum just to locate a list of the basics.

(LOL, btw, my DH said we ARE going to leave the Insta pot behind on this trip!)

Aside from the tools mentioned, some of the kitchen ware, clothes, and the basics in the kit that we bought from Escape, we’ll keep a running list of what we would like versus what we need.

Maybe in the near future I can amass two lists to share with everybody. One for the maiden voyage, and the second for further camping ease. Especially for newbies who have never been camping before.

A basic list is just a wonderful place to start. Then people could add their unique finds and adjuncts. At the very least, it might save time for those scouring Amazon for the sturdiest camping table, longest lasting electric kettle, or best space-saving paper towel holder.

For now, I’d like to share a website and blog that has several “must-have“ lists. There are some unique finds here that people may consider for the future.
Thanks again for the comments! We’ll be sure to post about our trip, and photos of our new baby!

https://www.letstravelfamily.com/rv-...-live-without/

https://www.secondchancetodream.com/...checklist.html
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #24

Donna, btw , I’m known as the “caulking Queen” in my house. Thick or cracked caulk catches my eye wherever I go.

So I’ve been known to remove all of the caulking from, say, the baseboards, and re-caulking them with an engineer’s precision!

In part, it’s what sold my last house. (Well, the caulk and some paint...)

The realtor looked around in astonishment and said, “well, yours is the shiny penny for sure!”.

So yes, in many ways, silicone is my friend!
Old 06-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Target has a set of about 2 1/2 inch tall "woven look" plastic baskets...they range in size from 12 inches wide (fit sideways in all the back cabinets in my 17) to about 5x8 (fits the other direction) I think there are three or four in a set. I have enough sets to cover the bottoms of back dinette cabinets left right and center. chips and boxes of crackers etc in the largest. dish soap and sponges in the small one, spices in another small one. easy to clean, a small lip so you can see everything, easy to move about if you are looking for something in a back corner.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The proper use of caulks and sealers as Donna alluded to are important. Proflex, butyl tape, and other “later” removable sealers are far more desireable than Silicone. Be judicious with Loc-tite also.
Always read the label.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-01-2020, 08:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukwilma View Post
Amazon is a great pal!
And silicon is probably your best friend.
And take this with a grain of salt, because we haven't actually been out in our Escape yet, but we have been camping for forever.
Collapsible dish pan/colander (https://smile.amazon.com/Collapsible...968339&sr=8-31)
Collapsible pots - come in various sizes, but here's one (https://smile.amazon.com/Collapsible...2968545&sr=8-1)
Collapsible bucket (from Amazon, but not sure the link)
I don't know if they still have them, but Costco had some collapsible baskets with a solid bottom (fabric sides) - can be used for laundry, clothes, etc.
We got some soft-sided bins (for socks and undies) in the cabinets over the bed (I figure the pants and shirts can hold their own, but I don't want to have to fish for the little things) - come in 2 sizes (https://www.containerstore.com/s/bla...%20side%20bins)
You've heard about the uses for the pool noodles - I cut one to make dividers in the over-sink cabinet to keep the dishes from clanking against the glasses/mugs.
And it's not all about the organization. Pillows, bolsters to make the dinette more comfy - we live in the Pacific NW, so we expect gross rainy days.
And Jeff's latest find: (https://smile.amazon.com/Contour-Pro...eepopolis0f-20)

This was an extremely helpful post. I’ve saved all of the links. So,.thanks so much for taking the time to list them! These will certainly be a great starting point for us.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone list out the correct order for tightening the lug nuts on my 17B, please? Is it driver side first or last? Thanks
Old 07-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think there is a procedure for sides, but when tightening the lugs I always go in a circle around the wheel.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's in your manual. Page 63 of my copy.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 9.31.57 AM.png  
Old 07-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I stand corrected, there is a sequence,,,,,,,
Old 07-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #32

The star pattern on nut down has been standard in most applications for many years. Personally I tighten each nut to 35 till all five are done, then 65 Till all five are done
then 95 ft lbs till all five are done on our Escape using a torque wrench. I keep track of where I am on each star cycle and turn the tire and wheel so that my object nut is on top for nut centering on the drum stud. I’m sure others may see this differently , I am only relating my experience over the past 55 years of working with tires and wheels on trailers, cars and trucks. It’s so easy to check the torque with a wrench and it only takes a couple minutes. Same with a pressure gauge and tire pressure. I don’t like to wonder about things when I’m going down the highway far from home.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reading the instructions that came with my torque wrench, I noted that it said to get an accurate result, you have to loosen the nut and then tighten to the prescribed amount.

Seems a bit odd to me, because you'd have to re-torque every hundred miles, if I followed the advice.

Wot you say?
Old 07-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I'm checking the torque on a wheel that a shop worked on I back it off then retighten so I know they are not overly tight, which is normally the case. That's the only time I do such.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #35

I think that would be overkill for me. I do start with the tire and wheel in the air, not in contact with the ground. I usually slowly Star pattern cinch them up slowly rotating the tire with one hand and run the Milwaukee impact wrench on the light setting and turning slowly with the other hand. This will center the wheel holes on the studs and I’ll go around twice. Then I put the impact tool down and usually get a revolution or two out of each nut till I get my 35 ft lb click. Then I proceed to the 65 and 95 lb setting . I let the tire and wheel down with the floor jack until the tire lightly contacts the pavement. I am fortunate to be able to hold the tire with one hand and run the torque wrench with the other without contact with the pavement yet, but some folks find it easier and so do I to let the tire lightly contact the paving. Those tapered Lug nuts do a good job of centering the wheel on the studs if you give them the chance. No lubrication ever on the nuts or studs for me.
Again YMMV and practice makes these things easier. I’ve never had a shop mount a trailer tire and wheel for me. I take the tires and wheels off the Escape when I get new ones. When I dealt with a Goodyear shop that a good friend of mine managed, his guys would torque up my wheels while on the hoist. They had one young guy who was meticulous as I watched him work. I’d pay my bill at the counter then go out in the shop and tip him. When my friend died and the young man left the shop I quit using them.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It took a while for us to come to the realization that there are only two of us going camping in the trailer and it’s not the same as being at home
In the trailer you don’t need dishes , utensils , glasses , coffee cups for 8
You don’t need clothing / shoes for every possible occasion
You don’t need a full set of cooking pots , fry pans , baking pans and electric appliances
You don’t need a bbq grill large enough to roast a 20 lb turkey
One thing you do need is bug spray
Steve, so many of your posts make me laugh, and this is one of them. Probably the best piece of advice ever!! I camped once without bringing any bug spray because I didn't think that particular spot would have any bugs, and was I ever wrong. All the nice-to-have items in the world don't mean squat if you're getting bit!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Howdy folks!

ISO Information/Exel sheet/list/ thread/post with basic items needed to outfit a new Escape.

We are so excited to be getting ours in about two weeks! In my excitement, I may forget a couple of items that may be necessary, or enhance our comfort as we travel.

So I’ve tried to search for a list to help us out, but haven’t found any. Perhaps I’m not using the correct search terms?

I found a few separate posts here and there, especially for kitchen items. But it’s not a complete list, and they are hidden amongst other threads.

I’m looking for a trailer-specific comprehensive list that contains kitchen items, bedding items, bathroom items, indoor/ outdoor items, items that help with storage or hanging things (like Umbra hooks, for example, paper towel holders and others), necessary tools, and other adjuncts.

So is there a thread or “sticky“ anyone knows of with a list of this information? From there, I can search more specifics, like certain brands that work better than others. Or new items that may come in smaller sizes.

As an example, one of my searches found the smaller-sized Instant pot. I have since purchased one, and found it to be so versatile!

If such a list is not a sticky, how can we make one? Then, from that basic list, people could comment on the functionality or longevity of certain brands, better brands, items that serve several different functions, collapsible items, and new items that have been since developed, etc..

TIA!!!
This article RV Checklists: 6 Printable Packing Lists has checklists which includes kitchen and bathroom items it's a good place to start.

If you’re the type of person who always thinks “I know I’m forgetting something” when you leave the house, then you need (yes, need) a good checklist to help you pack for your RV trip. Because trust us, there’s nothing like arriving at camp and realizing you forgot the s’mores materials — or worse, disposable gloves for the dumping station! — to put a damper on your RV vacation.

Luckily for you, we made some handy printable checklists to help you prepare for your next RV rental or family vacation. Click on the links below to download and print them at home. Happy travels!

RV Maintenance & Safety Checklist
RV Camping Essentials Checklist
RV Kitchen Checklist
RV Grocery Checklist
RV Bed & Bath Checklist
Make Your Own RV Checklist
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The star pattern on nut down has been standard in most applications for many years. Personally I tighten each nut to 35 till all five are done, then 65 Till all five are done
then 95 ft lbs till all five are done on our Escape using a torque wrench. I keep track of where I am on each star cycle and turn the tire and wheel so that my object nut is on top for nut centering on the drum stud. I’m sure others may see this differently , I am only relating my experience over the past 55 years of working with tires and wheels on trailers, cars and trucks. It’s so easy to check the torque with a wrench and it only takes a couple minutes. Same with a pressure gauge and tire pressure. I don’t like to wonder about things when I’m going down the highway far from home.
Iowa Dave
Actually, if you are replacing a wheel, what Dave does is a good practice, that is tightening in stages. To retorque after 50 or 100 miles, you should have the torque wrench set to the desired (top) value (e.g., 95 ft-lbs). As far as instructions to back them off before using the torque wrench, that might be a good idea if the tires/wheels were installed by a tire dealer. They all use air powered impact wrenches and they are not necessarily adjusted to the value for your vehicle or trailer. Whenever I have tire work done, I always back the lug nuts off and torque them myself, simply for peace of mind. To loose and they could come off; too tight and something might get warped.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
As far as instructions to back them off before using the torque wrench, that might be a good idea if the tires/wheels were installed by a tire dealer. They all use air powered impact wrenches and they are not necessarily adjusted to the value for your vehicle or trailer. Whenever I have tire work done, I always back the lug nuts off and torque them myself, simply for peace of mind. To loose and they could come off; too tight and something might get warped.
Smart. Most shops air impact tools are torqueing lug nuts WAY beyond spec. This can stress the studs among other things. I've seen situations where lugs are so tight that an owner can't remove them with the basic lug wrench provided with a vehicle. This isn't fun when on the side of the road stuck.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #40

For breaking the lug nut loose I use a socket, 6 inch extension and 1/2 inch breaker bar. I do not
advise using your torque wrench to break the lug nuts loose. You can strip the head out.
Iowa Dave