Outfitting New Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Outfitting New Escape

Howdy folks!

ISO Information/Exel sheet/list/ thread/post with basic items needed to outfit a new Escape.

We are so excited to be getting ours in about two weeks! In my excitement, I may forget a couple of items that may be necessary, or enhance our comfort as we travel.

So I’ve tried to search for a list to help us out, but haven’t found any. Perhaps I’m not using the correct search terms?

I found a few separate posts here and there, especially for kitchen items. But it’s not a complete list, and they are hidden amongst other threads.

I’m looking for a trailer-specific comprehensive list that contains kitchen items, bedding items, bathroom items, indoor/ outdoor items, items that help with storage or hanging things (like Umbra hooks, for example, paper towel holders and others), necessary tools, and other adjuncts.

So is there a thread or “sticky“ anyone knows of with a list of this information? From there, I can search more specifics, like certain brands that work better than others. Or new items that may come in smaller sizes.

As an example, one of my searches found the smaller-sized Instant pot. I have since purchased one, and found it to be so versatile!

If such a list is not a sticky, how can we make one? Then, from that basic list, people could comment on the functionality or longevity of certain brands, better brands, items that serve several different functions, collapsible items, and new items that have been since developed, etc..

TIA!!!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not aware of such a list as each owner adds a personal touch, particularly in the kitchen.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've never made or seen a list of what goes in the trailer but I;d imagine someone has one. There are so many Walmart's out there you can easily stop and find what you might miss.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
After we got our 19 home we made lists of things we had to round up. Assembled we camped about 25 miles from home for two nights. With a small Lum and Abner jot em down notebook we added what we missed. Next trip was longer but returning home list was shorter. After about three trips we began to remove unused items. Found I did not need a Korean War vintage entrenchment tool but a can of charcoal starter was nice. Wasn’t much for the upgrade to the 21. The secret is go, do without, improvise, borrow and acquire either nearby or once back home.
The only omission I made, and it didn’t turn out to be serious, was not having a good water pressure regulator where there was extremely high (100psi) service in a campground. An adjacent camper warned me and we just filled the water tank with a hose that stop.
An annual review of tools, expendables, and new replacements for worn out components before the fIrst trip of the year is appropriate. Then you can make your own list of what is in the trailer and what comes out of the house. My personal go bag stays in the Highlander and can usually save the day if needed. Cash, a credit card and a first aid kit fulfill the motto.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
The way I would do it is sit down and envision a day in the trailer. You wake up- what do you do? Use the toilet? Put toilet paper and hand soap on the list. Make coffee.. put the coffee maker and coffee and cups on.. and so on through a typical day. And then list the possible emergency needs add those. Whenever something can do dual duty, choose that item over the single use item. You might also list where each item goes and list separately the items that you take out of the trailer between uses.

Then do a shakedown trip close to home so you can run get the things you forgot.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Key tool for new Trailer - Torque Wrench

Hi Artlady,

Congrats on your new Escape!

Here's a recommendation for outfitting a new Escape Trailer:

Buy an inexpensive torque wrench and 13/16" deep socket to keep in the trailer for the trailer's wheels. A great investment for safety.

One of the important details one is told in the Escape Orientation is that one needs to re-torque the wheels at 60 miles, 120 miles and 180 miles (or 100, 200, & 300 km). This should be done when picking up a new trailer, or whenever a tire is changed. (This is also listed in the Escape Owners Manual under break-in torque requirements).

We have seen first-hand how important this is. Twice in the last two years, we had friends we were traveling with have a tire come off their trailer while driving on a busy highway (one was a tent trailer, one was a stick trailer). These trailers were also single axle - ouch!. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but the bottom of the trailers got a bad case of road rash.

An inexpensive torque wrench will work just fine. Harbor Freight tools sells one for $20 ( https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...nch-63882.html), and the 13/16" socket is only $4 ( https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ket-67780.html). Harbor Freight often has 20% off coupons as well.

- Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #7

All great tips! A big Thank you to all who responded!

Yes, Walmart and the almighty credit card are two things we are keeping in mind as we travel to pick up our new “baby”.

Coming up with a basic list is manageable, especially based on everyday life. Great suggestion, Bobbie!

Items that do double- duty, are space-saving, or items that are new or unique, are the ones I’m most interested in now.
I wonder if a thread asking about these specific types of items would be a better question? Again, the example of the Instant pot (or is it “Instapot”?) is one such kitchen item I didn’t know existed. It cooks a variety of items in so many ways, which results in us packing less cookware.

Perhaps I’ll post a new thread asking about specific attributes of such items. Amassing such a list may be helpful to others as well.

Btw, for those interested in delivery versus pick up in Washington, we’ve come up with a compromise. It still was quite expensive to have the trailer delivered to us. It was just 1/3 of the price to have it delivered to Nevada, where our son lives. So, we are driving to his place for a visit as well as to pick up the trailer!

People might consider checking out the various delivery rates to different regions in the US. These differing rates can be quite marked!

You can then see a family member or distant friend at the same time as you receive your trailer! Not only is it saving us money, but an extra four days in travel, as well as time. I consider this money and time well-spent!
Old 06-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

Bea, I really appreciate the specifics about the tools. Your tips are exactly what I’m looking for! Thank you for posting!
Old 06-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #9

Dave, your reply is also greatly appreciated. It’s a logical way to come up with and assess our list, especially on an ongoing basis. Thanks so much!
Old 06-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The important thing for me is to menu plan. That way I know I'll have the spices and cooking implements necessary to prepare specific dishes.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Artlady,

Congrats on your new Escape!

Here's a recommendation for outfitting a new Escape Trailer:

Buy an inexpensive torque wrench and 13/16" deep socket to keep in the trailer for the trailer's wheels. A great investment for safety.

One of the important details one is told in the Escape Orientation is that one needs to re-torque the wheels at 60 miles, 120 miles and 180 miles (or 100, 200, & 300 km). This should be done when picking up a new trailer, or whenever a tire is changed. (This is also listed in the Escape Owners Manual under break-in torque requirements).

We have seen first-hand how important this is. Twice in the last two years, we had friends we were traveling with have a tire come off their trailer while driving on a busy highway (one was a tent trailer, one was a stick trailer). These trailers were also single axle - ouch!. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but the bottom of the trailers got a bad case of road rash.

An inexpensive torque wrench will work just fine. Harbor Freight tools sells one for $20 ( https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...nch-63882.html), and the 13/16" socket is only $4 ( https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ket-67780.html). Harbor Freight often has 20% off coupons as well.

- Bea
Bea, I showed your answer to my DH and, he said, “she’s a very smart lady with great advice for all!”
We had a 19’ Escape several years ago, And the torque wrench, socket, and pressure gauge were the first things that he purchased for the trailer. These indeed are the most important, especially keeping safety in mind and the tires on!

It’s also a great reminder to check those Lug nuts routinely, as you suggested, especially often on the first trip. They must be tightened in a specific order (it’s on a chart in the Escape paperwork). Don suggested writing the order on the lug nuts with a sharpie.

Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2020, 12:25 AM   #12
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Bea, I showed your answer to my DH and, he said, “she’s a very smart lady with great advice for all!”
We had a 19’ Escape several years ago, And the torque wrench, socket, and pressure gauge were the first things that he purchased for the trailer. These indeed are the most important, especially keeping safety in mind and the tires on!

It’s also a great reminder to check those Lug nuts routinely, as you suggested, especially often on the first trip. They must be tightened in a specific order (it’s on a chart in the Escape paperwork). Don suggested writing the order on the lug nuts with a sharpie.

Thanks again!
You are very kind! I'll be honest. The last time the wheel came off of our friend's trailer, a few months ago, they had just had a high lift kit installed on their 3 year old trailer. When they picked it up, the mechanic/RV shop said nothing about needing to re-torque their tires. I wrongly assumed the place they went to, would take care of them. I felt so bad that I didn't even think to mention about re-torquing since we had just done this last year with our new Escape. So now I simply want to make it up to them and tell everyone!

I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip out to Nevada to see your son and aquire your new trailer! How exciting! Happy trails, -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
One thing not mentioned is the connector from the sewer hoser to the sewer drain. We picked one up in walmart and attached it to the original hose which came with our E19. The original sewer hose lasted just 3 trips before it got scrapped on the pavement had to be replaced because of a tear. There are some other tools you will probably want to have. We bought a tire wrench, did not really need a torque wrench. We ordered various storage items to help us get more organized but you can figure that out after you decide what to take with you for each trip. Just remember a good Walmart or RV supply store will have many of the items you need and may not know about. Good luck and safe travels.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Addie,
I am not trying to be cruel or to be a smart ass, but the truth is that if there are 1,000 people on this forum, there are 1,000 different camping styles and 1,000 different ideas as to what is needed to properly outfit a trailer. Maybe 800 of them actually have a torque wrench. Maybe 200 have an InstaPot. At one time, maybe 400 had an InstaPot and half of them found out they didn’t use it enough to allocate space for it. What you need is what you think you need to start, but thinned out or supplemented after several trips and your own experience. Sure, you should have tools, but if you don’t know what it is or how to use it you don’t need a manometer or a multimeter. I don’t pull out of my yard without a coffee maker; it is essential. But it’s not a must have for you if you don’t drink coffee. Only with time will you determine if the eight dinner plates you think you need right now are excessive and you realize four or even two is an adequate number. Think about your home lifestyle and if you want the same amenities on the road, figure out if or how you can fit the suitable items it in the trailer. Honestly, you will figure it out over time. In reality, you already have the most important item with you.......your brain. Add a credit card and a cell phone to the things you know you need (eating and sleeping accoutrements, appropriate clothing for the expected climate, and personal hygiene items and you will have the basics. Should you travel to East Jalopy and decide you just can’t stand not having a solar powered citrus juicer, a battery powered dustpan, or a purple nightlight, in most cases there is a Walmart, a Bed Bath and Beyond or a Home Depot not too far away. This is pretty much the same advice provided by Iowa Dave.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 19'
Maybe already mentioned but chocks & leveling blocks. The specific tool for changing out anode (during winterizing) which I can’t remember now. Toolbox w essentials (lots of threads on this) as well as distilled water for batteries. Lithium grease, wd40.

Buy some nesting pots/pans (bought mine at rei) & silverware at used stores such as st. Vincent’s. Those insulated aluminum cups ozark trail, from Walmart (come in all sizes, vino & cocktail glass most important). Extra cooler for storing drinks.

I camp mostly offgrid so don’t need an instpot but friend Ellen suggested a great little 12 v slow cooker which can be found at truck stops. Found mine at pilot in quartzite. Roasts anything including potatoes, veggies, pork tenderloin. I don’t have an oven so this allows roasting. Called 12v stove by roadpro. One medium size cast iron skillet.

I use a lot of “magic” suction cup items in the bathroom. Found at Home Depot. Discovered that the shower hooks work great attached to outside of trailer while camped to hang wet things etc. also like my collapsible broom & rake. Cheap, light basins from $ store for dishes & body. Label each. I also have a lot of command hooks installed, the brushed metal kind as well as an over door hanger.

I bought a great outside mat made of woven plastic in the garden center of Walmart. Don’t see them this year but you will definitely want a mat for lounging in under awning. I have a half circle mat for inside of door & a long narrow rug for the area between bed & dinette.

Luci solar light & solar flashlight.

Sorry if tmi but hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Broom and dust pan, to help keep it clean!
Old 06-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
It took a while for us to come to the realization that there are only two of us going camping in the trailer and it’s not the same as being at home
In the trailer you don’t need dishes , utensils , glasses , coffee cups for 8
You don’t need clothing / shoes for every possible occasion
You don’t need a full set of cooking pots , fry pans , baking pans and electric appliances
You don’t need a bbq grill large enough to roast a 20 lb turkey
One thing you do need is bug spray
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Experience trumps everything but I have found that the Casita A-Z Owner’s Guide has some great lists that have been developed to provide a starting point for the uninitiated.
https://www.amazon.com/Casita-Travel.../dp/1887780084
Old 06-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
lots of functional space savers

Amazon is a great pal!
And silicon is probably your best friend.
And take this with a grain of salt, because we haven't actually been out in our Escape yet, but we have been camping for forever.
Collapsible dish pan/colander (https://smile.amazon.com/Collapsible...968339&sr=8-31)
Collapsible pots - come in various sizes, but here's one (https://smile.amazon.com/Collapsible...2968545&sr=8-1)
Collapsible bucket (from Amazon, but not sure the link)
I don't know if they still have them, but Costco had some collapsible baskets with a solid bottom (fabric sides) - can be used for laundry, clothes, etc.
We got some soft-sided bins (for socks and undies) in the cabinets over the bed (I figure the pants and shirts can hold their own, but I don't want to have to fish for the little things) - come in 2 sizes (https://www.containerstore.com/s/bla...%20side%20bins)
You've heard about the uses for the pool noodles - I cut one to make dividers in the over-sink cabinet to keep the dishes from clanking against the glasses/mugs.
And it's not all about the organization. Pillows, bolsters to make the dinette more comfy - we live in the Pacific NW, so we expect gross rainy days.
And Jeff's latest find: (https://smile.amazon.com/Contour-Pro...eepopolis0f-20)
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukwilma View Post
And silicon is probably your best friend.

Don't you DARE use the Devil's Spawn on your trailer!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote