Offgassing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Offgassing

Our last trailer was bought used, so we never had thoughts about outgassing. I'm wondering whether anyone has looked into this with the Escapes. Anyone out there with chemical sensitivities who has bought a new Escape?

Ruth
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Re: Outgassing

When I received mine, 10 days after completion,there was no smell distinguishing characteristics. No glue, formaldehyde nor chemicals that I could tell.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe
Our last trailer was bought used, so we never had thoughts about outgassing. I'm wondering whether anyone has looked into this with the Escapes. Anyone out there with chemical sensitivities who has bought a new Escape?

Ruth
We did , briefly because of past experiences . The outgassing or offgassing will set off the carbon monoxide detector ANY synthetic products will have some offgassing and the best thing to do is ventilate . Ours was a fairly quick build and pick-up and the weather was quite warm - which would all contribute , we had no issues . The factory must be well ventilated , and they surely don't shut it completely while in there . We have reasons to be fairly cautious about offgassing . Escape seems to take all aspects of their product seriously and work toward the most optimal results .
We always ventilate .
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

There was a bit of off-gassing when we first got our trailer, but like many a new thing, it dissipated quite quickly.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

We picked up our trailer in early August, we had the max air vent open for several weeks straight and the trailer smell free in a couple of weeks
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Our 19 was completed in January 2012. We picked it up in April 2012. We observed eye-burning fumes through all the summer months, and went out to open up the camper every day to help relieve the situation.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabi & Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe

Ruth
We did , briefly because of past experiences . The outgassing or offgassing will set off the carbon monoxide detector ANY synthetic products will have some offgassing and the best thing to do is ventilate . Ours was a fairly quick build and pick-up and the weather was quite warm - which would all contribute , we had no issues . The factory must be well ventilated , and they surely don't shut it completely while in there . We have reasons to be fairly cautious about offgassing . Escape seems to take all aspects of their product seriously and work toward the most optimal results .
We always ventilate .

just to clarify ..... "We did , briefly because of past experiences."........ was in answer to " looked into it " not had issues .
Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

This was a major concern for me when heading out to pick up our unit Oct 2 this month. I have some serious issues with chemicals, preservatives, additives etc; it took me several weeks to recover from having our house interior painted two years ago (swollen joints, headaches, respiratory stuff.)

Before finding Escape we were looking at various units on the RV lots; some of them had such a bad smell that I couldn't stay in them long enough to even check them out. Based on the one Escape we saw in Victoria (thanks Ernie & Sherrie!) we thought we might have a chance with Escape.

When at the Escape factory I kept my exposure as short as possible and decided I just had to bear it. After we got our unit to the campground we turned on all the fans and air conditioner full blast, and all the surfaces were wiped down (water only) before we put our stuff in. We found a very smelly used rag that had been soaked in some kind of solvent hiding under one of the cushions.

The first night I was concerned, but since we were embarking on a 4 week adventure I just grit my teeth - determined not to give in to my "sensitivities." Glenn said we should just cook bacon & eggs every morning for 2 weeks!

We were both pleasantly surprised to find that the offgassing was not apparent after only 2 or 3 days and I fortunately did not suffer any ill effects. I highly recommend the wipe down and fans on full force for a few days.

Another concern I had was that our clothes and food (especially flour etc) might take on the chemical odors - this turned out not to be a problem.

Rosemary
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

When we picked ours up we headed to Seattle area and then to Montana and back up to Alberta, first couple of days were a bit stinky but with the max fan on exhaust and a window open for cross breaze was fine, but when we got to Montana it was really hot, like 37 celcius if I remember, any how it was pretty stinky in the trailer during our stay there. Once we got back to to cooler temperatures it was alot better. I think Monatana may have "cooked" out the smells.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I found beer and baked beans to work well to counteract the "new" smell in the trailer. Made it seem more like home after that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'

We just received our new Escape 19' and it had almost no smell when we opened it the first time while it was still on the delivery truck last Thursday. What we did notice though is when we bring things into the "confined" space we can smell the new stuff. On Saturday we purchased a bunch of plastic shoe boxes which fit well in the overhead spaces and we had a very heavy plastic smell afterward. I hope the trailer also enhances the smell of good wine and barbequed steak!...of course we are pretty excited now!

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

It does seem that smells are more pungent inside the Escape, that is why I lined my closet and under sink area with cedar strips that lock together like a wood floor to form a solid surface. Now when I enter after the unit has been closed I'm greeted with the cedar fragrance.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (jim)
It does seem that smells are more pungent inside the Escape, that is why I lined my closet and under sink area with cedar strips that lock together like a wood floor to form a solid surface. Now when I enter after the unit has been closed I'm greeted with the cedar fragrance.
Jim, you have a detailed mind! I'm thinking of a wine theme for my new Escape 19'. The exterior is burgundy as is my TV and my mind! I ordered a burgundy 12' X 9' carpet for the awning area, have a good low pressure gas fired barbeque to plug into the trailer and numerous places to visit. How can iot get better than that?
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014

Thanks everyone -- It sounds like we'll be able to deal. It is interesting that a couple of people noticed that the trailer holds the smells of things that are brought in. A good reason for keeping windows open.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Angry Terrible Outgassing!

My wife, Rachel, cannot be in our Escape 21! It was completed January 30, 2018. I picked it up March 21, 2018, parked it and ran MaxxFan and a 20" fan all day with windows open and closed at night. I ran the furnace three times for a couple of hours with the windows closed. Then repeated the airing.

Today was to be our shake down run. The temperature here in Bend, OR reached 82F today, April 25, and she could not even be in the trailer! She started to react right away. She does have chemical allergies, or multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS, for those in the know).

Does anyone know what chemicals are in the components of the trailer? Does anyone know how to speed the outgassing? Any suggestions appreciated!

I've contacted Escape and am awaiting a callback. Rachel has contacted her allergist and she said another 6 weeks - which means we would miss all of the great spring RVing!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #16

Wow, she must really suffer in spring and fall, buying a new car must really be hard, or even a house. You could always set up a tent outside... Other than the glue on the vinyl and the curing of the fiberglass, I'm not aware of any other odors. Leaving the unit open will help.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 19'
Pretty sure it is the curing fiberglass, when ours was new it smelled just like the fiberglass workshop of our local boat builder. If it's parked at home where you can monitor it leave all the windows, cabinet doors, hatches, door, front storage box etc open when the weather is nice. At a year old ours doesn't have any odor but it did smell a bit when new for several months. Perhaps a small air purifier that filters VOCs and other chemical pollutants would help? You may have to look for sites with electric but that would be better than staying home! Good luck.

Just remembered, we did wipe the walls down with warm water after getting home (3 weeks later) and that helped a lot. Maybe something they use to wipe excess glue off the vinyl?
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:16 AM   #18

You can always put a wet dog inside, this seems to override anything else.....
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The smell from the outgassing is very noticeable when the trailer is picked up. It gradually reduces and will eventually disappear over time. How long it takes till it no longer bothers you is dependent on your level of sensitivity.

Keeping the interior well ventilated is key to minimizing the outgassing odours. The odour in my 19' was quite strong for the first year, and after that most noticeable after the trailer was opened up after sitting for some time with windows and vents closed. Even after several (3-4) years, the outgassing smell was noticeable (to me) after the trailer was closed for some time period. I was fortunate that even when the trailer was new, the odours did not physically bother me or my family, even though they were quite noticeably strong.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Charlie: Did you happen to add a memory foam mattress topper? These can off gas something serious because of the flame retardants that are used to comply with federal mattress flammability standards.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote