oven and inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 escape trailer 21'
oven and inverter

We are working on our build sheet and originally were just going with the stovetop. We didn't see a need for the oven and wanted the extra storage space. However, after thinking we (someday) might want to camp for extended times, we're thinking maybe the oven would be a good addition. Do any of you have the oven? If so, do you find it useful and what size pan can you put into it? Also, when using it during the summer does the heat from it make it hard to air condition the camper?
Another question on our build sheet is the inverter? Do you find it useful and if so, what do you use it for? How much does it drain the batteries?
whitepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Another question on our build sheet is the inverter? Do you find it useful and if so, what do you use it for? How much does it drain the batteries?
This if one of those topics that gets a whole range of opinions. Bottom line: what are you going to use it for and how much?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
We are just completing our build sheet and nixed the oven and now I have changed my
mind, I like to roast stuff and make some other goodies, I think I will use it. I was going to buy a Breville oven that a few peeps on forum mentioned and I don't want another thing to set up and can only be used with power, so oven it is. we are not getting inverter, we will use portable inverters on as needed basis.
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Here's a good start on the oven discussion:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...cons-5777.html
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
BlackJack is set up for non hook ups via everything operates(except the a/c) off 12v or propane. I skipped the microwave and use that space for a nice pantry. the oven is great in the winter for indoor cooking and in the summer, while cooking outside, one can store cookware inside it. The television and antenna operate off 12v as do all the lights, water heater, furnace, and computers. The refer also operates off propane. Solar and dual sixers are a must and you can find just about anything needed will work with 12v, we even have a heated 12v blanket for those rest stops. Just make sure you add extra 12v outlets.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jim, do you know what 12v blanket you use?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #7

Found it on Amazon, but that is all I remember, sorry.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
To get hot water heater and furnace running on 12V, what needs to be installed? (are going with solar and 2 6V's)
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
We have a very nice portable inverter. The problem is - it has only been used once. I'm still trying to justify the price.

Very rough rule of thumb - if the appliance you power with an inverter needs 100 watts, then the inverter will pull 125 watts from the batteries (25% lost in the conversion from 12 v to 120 v. Again - very rough guestimate). Scale that up (or down) as needed.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
To get hot water heater and furnace running on 12V, what needs to be installed? (are going with solar and 2 6V's)
Why not just run the hot water tank on propane. Get the dual propane setup.
I think the options on the hot water tank are propane or 120v. Hot water tank would be a big drain on the batteries on 120v inverter/converter??

The furnace runs on propane with some 12v to operate the fan. Not sure how much that consumes but the solar should top up the batteries the next day assuming there is sunshine!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Nothing, the water heater operates off propane as does the furnace. The factory wires an igniter that operates to light the appliance and that is all. The furnace blower, operates off 12v and draws 2-3 amps while running, your dual batteries can handle all this because the next day the solar recharges them.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't forget that there are lots of other methods of baking other than an oven. We use our BBQ for that, and have successfully baked a bunch of things. I have used various things for a heat absorber under the baking pan, but this year will be fitting in some unglazed quarry tile. We will be able to do up pizza directly on the stone, can't beat that. Lots of great info out there on ways of using your BBQ to bake.

Another simple oven we are considering, is the Omnia Oven that is lightweight, and works on the stovetop. It gets great reviews, and people have baked lots of good stuff on them, the only thing it is missing is a large flat surface, you have to bake round cookies.
http://omniasweden.com/en/the-oven/
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
For which model?

Quote:
We are working on our build sheet and originally were just going with the stovetop. We didn't see a need for the oven and wanted the extra storage space. However, after thinking we (someday) might want to camp for extended times, we're thinking maybe the oven would be a good addition. Do any of you have the oven? If so, do you find it useful and what size pan can you put into it? Also, when using it during the summer does the heat from it make it hard to air condition the camper?
Whether or not to recommend the oven depends on which trailer you are getting. Ours is a 21' so, yes, we got the oven, and it is great for inclement weather cooking. If we'd gotten a 19 or 17, I don't know if I'd've made the same choice.

To answer your question about summer cooking: I don't use the oven in my house during the summer (much) and I'm sure I would not in the trailer, either. As Jim Bennett said, there are other ways to cook (and I add "when the weather's nice"). I have a Cobb cooker that lets me do more food prep at the picnic table, if there's no burn ban on charcoal use; and I have a 6 qt electric roaster that I'll use outdoors (under the awning) if we have electric hookup.