Oxidized GelCoat: 3M Perfect It Compound? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Oxidized GelCoat: 3M Perfect It Compound?

Have decided I want to try to bring the shine back to my 2010 17B. Have tried to research (unbelievable how many posts on shining up gelcoat) and have pretty well decided to use 3M Perfect It Medium Compound. It gets good reviews in the gelcoat boat arena.

Has anyone used this compound, and with what results?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 19'
I'm interested too in what others have to say. You're right - there are so many posts and opinions on waxes, polishes, etc..

I've got oxidation on roof and starting on walls. I'm a bit disappointed since I've waxed trailer every 3-4 months since new (2014) with Meguiars flagship marine wax. Want to clean it up and try another variety of wax/sealant, thinking about Starbrite premium marine polish.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Any idea which Meguiars product the 3M medium compares closest too? I have heard the 3M products are also very good but don't have any experience with them.

I recently went over my entire 2013 to remove oxidation.

The two sides and front were in decent shape. I applied Meguiars 50 cleaner wax using a polishing pad on a Porter Cable 7424XP. Then applied Meguiars Flagship marine wax.

The roof and back were in much worse condition. I used Meguiars 49 oxidation remover applied by hand with a terry cloth. Using the polisher while up on a ladder didn't seem like a good idea. Then I applied Meguiars Flagship marine wax. This worked well to remove all the oxidation but if I wanted it really shiny I would have probably needed to do an intermediate step with Meguiars 44 or 45. I might give this a try later this summer on the back. I am not too worried about the roof since its out of sight.
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
jamie, I've tested the Starbright vs Mequiars flagship. Got the same as you with the M, and about double that with Starbright. But, M gives a deeper shine.

I like 3m car care products, have never had a bad experience. That said I went to M as they are easier to get and usually cheaper.

for oxydation I used M's #83 dual action cleaner/polish with good results. I just picked up a jug of their #67 one step compound (marine and rv), but haven't tried it yet.

you're not doing this by hand are you?
Old 06-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
On the recommendation from West Marine I picked up this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked well.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Spent a lot if time using all the above Meguiars products both with rotary buffer and by hand. Spent time also consulting with Meguiars who were trying to be really helpful yet wasn't cutting it(literally). Look at some videos of guys doing boats as that is where you will find most of the useful info. It is a painstaking art at the end of the day. I finally got the results I was looking for using Barkeepers Friend, which is a step or two less than wet sanding which is what ETI suggested when I sent in pictures.

I too have always kept up on waxing and if left outside 2-3 times a year is not going to prevent oxidation no matter what you use IMO.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #7

Yes, I have been doing by hand. Just bought a buffer to use from now on.

I've got Meguiars M49 oxidation remover, M45 polisher (both of these are in 7th Heaven's restoration kit). Then reviewing all options for a new wax/sealant - 303, nufinish, Starbrite, Collinite,...
Old 06-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I finally got the results I was looking for using Barkeepers Friend.
Rossue, I just looked up Barkeepers and it seems to be a very popular cleaner. I'm assuming you'd need to wax/seal after using? If so, what did you use?
Old 06-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I too have always kept up on waxing and if left outside 2-3 times a year is not going to prevent oxidation no matter what you use IMO.
I'm starting to believe this too. I'd hoped that 3-4 times per year would work but it hasn't. Seems like my choices are to wax more often , or try a different product or build a shelter..... or all three!
Old 06-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

I used Meguiars Flagship Marine wax and their Carnuba wax and their Polish. Did this back in February and it's looking pretty darn good after a bath a couple days ago.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I use 3M fiberglass restorer with an orbital polisher if chalked. Then Meguiars Premium Marine twice a year. This process was arrived at restoring 5 older 80s/90s trailers and has worked the best to date.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #12

If starting from scratch I would try the 3M products first to tackle oxidation as the Meguiars was leaving swirl marks and holograms and seems that 3M has been making these products primarily for boats for a while now.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Just finished cleaning up my 2014. Finish still looks pretty much like new. I have used BTS (Bow to Stern) 3 or 4 times a year since new. Just wash and apply with spray bottle and rag. I generally treat in the spring coming out of the cover, after major trips and before covering in the fall. Not real shiny going on, but also doesn't need buffed out so much unless you desire. So far happy to with my results. My plastic fittings are still turning yellow on the sun side however. YRMV

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I thought "303" would prevent the yellowing issue.....?
Old 06-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought "303" would prevent the yellowing issue.....?
Could be. Others experience? If I bought a new Escape every year then I could experiment. I have even filled my propane tanks several times.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I've had good success with Collinite 920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner and 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax. The carnuba wax still beads after 6 months in the Texas sun and using a Porter Cable 7424xp to apply, it's fairly easy to do.

303 on the rubber parts and krylon fusion for plastic dover white on the plastic ones.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Just ordered 3M Perfect It #2. Will report back after I use it. Even remembered to take 'before' pictures!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have used the mequiars as well as the 3m products and have have had the best results with the 3m products, the rubbing compound when used with a medium pad on my dewalt power polisher on anything heavily oxidized. I have done a bit of power polishing on cars as well as gelcoats, it seems although the products are similar using automotive ( paint with clearcoat ) products on gelcoat does not seem to work. I have had much better results using the proper gelcoat products. Not really sure whats different about the products.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I wouldn’t recommend using an orbital polisher with the Meguiars Premium Marine. I’ve found it is a perfect hand applied and buffed product and is simple to apply and buff off by hand. The 3M restorer definitely likes the orbital polisher as it is a good product to remove chalking and needs a more robust application. It doesn’t produce a great finish shine without the hand application of the Meguiars afterward. I only use the 3M when the trailer has chalking.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #20

Agree that for wax hand application is good. For oxidation you do need the right tool to cut with and even orbital polishers generally won't "cut it".

I tried the DeWalt polisher(which is rotary-not orbital)and it was a beast(6.7 lbs.) and sent it back. With the Chicago Electric @ Harbor Freight(5.5 lbs. and smaller) I can use it one-handed on the roof. The pros like the DeWalt as it has a soft start feature which is a good thing with clear coats on autos. The gel coats are much tougher and harder to damage- not that you can't do it. Also, a pro grade wool pad works better for medium-heavy oxidation than any foam pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Dewalt.jpg   Chicago Electric.jpg