Panicked About Build Sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17B
Panicked About Build Sheet

I'm slightly panicked about my final build sheet due date of 10 Nov for my 17B.

Please suggest additions or deletions to my current list of options:

Dual 6V batteries
Solar Panel
Surge Protector
Window in bathroom (I may delete this)
Thermal windows and extra insulation
LED brake lights
Air Conditioning
Microwave
Shelves in closet
Starter Kit

I've never owned or used an RV. Thank you!
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Panicked about build sheet

Keep the window in the bathroom, dump the micro wave.. Microwave uses a lot of power, with solar panel and batts, you want to use less power, not more, Just my humble opinion.....John, 17A owner
56farmerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I question the window in the bath. There is a vent and it's not like you'll be taking long, hot showers. It's supposed to be handy for running a hose in to flush the black tank, but I just carry a fifty-foot garden hose for that purpose. I've only flushed at a full service site, where I have plenty of time to run my garden hose in through the door. Never done it at a sani-dump where it would inconvenience others waiting to dump.

At home, I call the microwave a "broccoli maker" since it's only used for that purpose. A pot with a steamer basket is more versatile. Might reconsider if somebody comes up with a propane-powered microwave.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
My two cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post

Dual 6V batteries We like having them with the solar.
Solar Panel
Surge Protector Yes. We had a couple of campsites so far where the surge protector clamped a surge and saved our wiring.
Window in bathroom (I may delete this)Love the bathroom window, not just for light and ventilation, but it also gives you a handy way to get a hose inside for cleaning the black tank.
Thermal windows and extra insulation Money well spent. Slightly quieter, the AC and heater don't work as hard, and condensation is reduced.
LED brake lightsExtra visibility.
Air Conditioning Depends on where you live and camp. We need it.
Microwave Rarely use one at home, so we nixed it.
Shelves in closetYep, we converted our closet to a pantry with shelves, and we find it very handy. We don't take any camping clothes with us that need hanging, so it made sense.
Starter KitMeh. You can get what you need at Camping World or Wally World or wherever.
I'd add the storage box. It's pricey but handy.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
dump microwave and stater kit. you can pick up everything that is in the starter for cheaper at walmart or camping world. and i agree on the storage box especially on the 17.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I question the window in the bath. There is a vent and it's not like you'll be taking long, hot showers. It's supposed to be handy for running a hose in to flush the black tank, but I just carry a fifty-foot garden hose for that purpose. I've only flushed at a full service site, where I have plenty of time to run my garden hose in through the door. Never done it at a sani-dump where it would inconvenience others waiting.
I agree. Don't bother with the bathroom window. I've never understood how poking a garden hose in through the bathroom window is so much more convenient than walking it in through the door. The ceiling vent will get rid of any stale air.
Ask Escape whats in their $160.00 starter kit and see if you need all items.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Personally, I think your list is pretty good, especially putting $$ into the solar, 6v, and thermal.

Our previous 17B the bath was pretty tight and the window probably would have made it seem a bit larger, but if budget becomes an issue I'd lose the bath window.

My wife would not buy into dumping the microwave.

Since you don't have the items from a previous RV the starter kit would be a convenience, but you might save a little bit of $ just buying most of that stuff ahead at wally or amazon.

I don't see any custom fabric, formica, etc. This is a really good time to consider some custom items if the budget allows. Later on down the road changing upholstery, countertops, etc. becomes tougher to do.

What are you going to tow with, Steve?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

I've quit buying "RV toilet paper" at outrageous prices, especially that crap sold at Canadian Tire.
I got 12 double rolls of Cascades for about $6 at an Osoyoos grocery.
According to the label, it is safe for septic, sewer and RVs, boats.

I am cascades > Catalog
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.50.01 AM.png  
Old 10-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We have both opening bathroom and kitchen windows, and love having them. The bathroom window provides ventilation rather than having to pull cool or warm air out of the trailer, depending on how hot it is outside. And my standard use of the stove is to turn on the vent fan and crack the kitchen window when we turn on the stove.

We also got the exterior shower and use it to provide the black tank flush, and I found it much handier than I thought it would be.

I would keep the dual 6v batteries, solar, surge protector, thermal windows and extra insulation, LED brake lights, air conditioner, and not the microwave, shelves in closet, or starter kit. We use the microwave space for our pantry, and we do like hanging our coats and pants in the closet when we are not wearing them.

EDIT: Also consider the digital thermostat. It works well with the AC and heater
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Agree with Glenn on the TP. We have a cabin with a septic and the TP approved for septic use works fine in the trailer as well. Quite a bit of difference in cost from the RV Toilet Paper.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Not many people who have the bathroom window would say to delete it. Sometimes, in addition for reasons already stated, it's nice, gasp, to actually use it as a window.

Granted the microwave doesn't fall into the use everyday category but when on shorepower we use it like we do at home. We also use ours with the inverter, and yes, it takes lots of battery power, but only for a short time, but that's why we have batteries. For the occasional use, it's really not a factor in battery usage. So I'd say, if you're unlikely to ever use campsites with power then maybe you might not want to get it. Otherwise, it doesn't cost much and it is handy to have.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Ask 20 Escape owners a question and be prepared for 20 different answers I like having the bathroom window for air and for making the small bathroom feel larger. We debated the storage box (I even started a thread about it) and now I shudder when I think we might not have added it. We don't have a pickup so I don't know where everything would have gone. As for the microwave, if you use one a lot at home and you are planning to have hookups most of the time, then maybe it would be worth it to you to give up the space. For me i wanted all the storage I could get.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Personally, I wouldn't dump any of the items on your list. If you don't have electricity, then just don't use the microwave or use it sparingly. And the bathroom window, if I want to draw cool air in rather than using A/C and it's raining, I don't worry if rain blows into the bathroom. All the items on your list except for the starter kit (for reasons already stated) are nice to have.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Steve:
If it's possible, relax regarding your choices. We picked up our 17B in mid-Aug. and have spent 6 out of the 10 weeks since, using it. Option choices really depend on how you intend to use your trailer and your preferences. Your list is fairly consistent with ours--the differences may reflect your desires and so be entirely valid for you. Our choices did not include air conditioning or a microwave--we rarely camp where we have hook-ups and chose not to inflict the noise (or pollution) of a generator on our neighbors. Love the solar panel and dual 6v batteries--have yet to see a battery condition less than good on our monitor. We take numerous hanging clothes, and so find our closet (without shelves) to be highly useful. The surge protector can be viewed a cheap insurance (although again, we do not frequently have hook-ups). We like having the extra insulation and thermal windows for camping in "shoulder" seasons. We love the outside storage box, it allows us to keep all the set-up items (leveling blocks, cords, hoses, etc. outside our living area where they're readily accessible. What ever your finally choices, you'll love your Escape--have fun!
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The bathroom window is great for all of the extra light it lets in and the microwave is nice to have to heat something up real quick. I just wish I would have got 1 extra shelf in the closet but no big deal. Good choices. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
We ordered everything on your list and are happy we did. In addition, we were glad we ordered the winterizing T valve, digital thermostat, storage box, maxx fan upgrade, an inside handle to use when exiting the trailer and some additional 12 volt outlets. We also got the 12 volt heat pads which have given us peace of mind on several occasions.
If I were ordering a trailer today, I would place the same order and add an opening window over the sink ( would provide better ventilation and more day light) and perhaps replace the TV ready option we ordered with a jack antenna.
Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Try to think about your lifestyle and type of cooking that you do. Be sure you get wiring for a microwave outlet in the event you later want to get one (if not initially). I believe it has a higher amperage, but I'm not positive.
I wished I would have gotten a drawer plus shelving in the wardrobe. I just have shelves and have gotten one of those small plastic 3 drawer for odds and ends (like glue, cable ties, scissors, pens, batteries etc.) that sits on the top shelf. I also would have liked a larger silverware drawer.
You may wish extra outlets as well.
I'd keep the bathroom window, if for nothing else but to clean the back tank. But it would help with steam etc.
Just some thoughts.
Have fun.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:

Dual 6V batteries
Solar Panel
If you don't camp in an RV park or similar that provides electricity, then solar becomes very important. If you do have frequent access to "shore power" - as we like to call it - then consider saving money. Both can be added at a later date without too much difficulty.

Quote:
Window in bathroom (I may delete this)
Lets in light and air. We love ours.

Quote:
Air Conditioning
Microwave
AC requires shore power or a generator - no if, ands, or buts as they say.
Microwave can be run from twin 6v batteries and the big inverter. But we like the big gain of storage space that comes from leaving it off. Again, you can ask for "microwave ready" which adds the wiring and the unit can be added later.

Quote:
Shelves in closet
I think my shirts and pants like to be upright. You will have to ask yours...

Quote:
Starter Kit
Naah. Ask the forum for advice on what to add to your personal starter kit. Its half the fun...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I think my shirts and pants like to be upright. You will have to ask yours... Alan
Mine say "hang me up. Even my wife tells me that if I just fold up a shirt etc. and put it in a drawer. Can't imagine not being able to put some shirts and a jacket on a hanger. But that's why this forum is so interesting. So many different views on what's important to have.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #20

I'm too lazy to fold shirts.
I can carry all I need on a handful of hangers.