Paying sticker price?? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
As I understand it, you as an American can purchase the trailer with Canadian dollars and take possession of it in Canada. You will likely have to pay the Canadian BC provincial and federal taxes when you purchase the trailer. You would then have to import the trailer yourself to the USA, managing whatever paperwork may be required for that process. Once in the USA, you would be subject to whatever taxes your local government requires for licensing/registering your trailer. Also once in the US, you may be able to apply to the Canadian government to have your Canadian taxes that you paid on the trailer at purchase refunded to you, as the trailer was imported to the US.

An alternative to the above process is for you to pay for your trailer at the US dollar rates posted by Escape, and have them import the trailer into the US at Sumas, where you can pick it up. With that process, the purchase price would not include the Canadian taxes.

You do have a choice.

It used to work this way, but Escape changed the rules recently. All US customers must pay in US$ at the US price, which is significantly higher than the price for every other nationality.

As an American, you no longer have a choice.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #42
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Karl@Escape's March 26 announcement = significant cost increase for US customers

So.... if a US customer, walks into ETI now and wants to buy a trailer, has the full amount of CAD currency in hand, and is willing to import the unit to the US and deal with all the extra fees, paperwork and taxes himself..... will ETI be willing to sell to that US customer, taking payment in CAD currency, using their CAD price listings?

This would be good to know, when we show our trailer to other prospective new owners who are interested in Escape.

On 3/27/2020, Karl@Escape posted: 'As of 26 March 2020, we have now fully transitioned to USD for US customers and CAD for Canadian customers.' (https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nts-17452.html) This sounds like ETI will now ONLY use the USD prices for US customers and CAD prices for Canadian customers.

Because ETI does not use a market based $CAD-$USD exchange rate, the 3/26 announcement basically means that ETI instantly raised the price of their trailers for US customers (and just US Customers) by making them pay thousands more than they would have prior to this 3/26 announcement.

For example, prior to 3/26, a US customer wanting to buy a base E21 for $36,245 CAD would need about $25,836 USD to enable a currency exchange company like TransferWise to send ETI the right amount of Canadian dollars. It appears that Karl's 3/26 announcement will not allow US customers to use TransferWise (or an equivalent), and US customers are now forced to use ETI's exchange rate. However, ETI uses a much more expensive exchange rate, making a US customer pay $3,159 USD more ($28,995 USD compared to $25,836 USD). -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17B - Café con Leche - 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
So.... if a US customer, walks into ETI now and wants to buy a trailer, has the full amount of CAD currency in hand, and is willing to import the unit to the US and deal with all the extra fees, paperwork and taxes himself..... will ETI be willing to sell to that US customer, taking payment in CAD currency, using their CAD price listings?

This would be good to know, when we show our trailer to other prospective new owners who are interested in Escape.

On 3/27/2020, Karl@Escape posted: 'As of 26 March 2020, we have now fully transitioned to USD for US customers and CAD for Canadian customers.' (https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nts-17452.html) This sounds like ETI will now ONLY use the USD prices for US customers and CAD prices for Canadian customers.

Because ETI does not use a market based $CAD-$USD exchange rate, the 3/26 announcement basically means that ETI instantly raised the price of their trailers for US customers (and just US Customers) by making them pay thousands more than they would have prior to this 3/26 announcement.

For example, prior to 3/26, a US customer wanting to buy a base E21 for $36,245 CAD would need about $25,836 USD to enable a currency exchange company like TransferWise to send ETI the right amount of Canadian dollars. It appears that Karl's 3/26 announcement will not allow US customers to use TransferWise (or an equivalent), and US customers are now forced to use ETI's exchange rate. However, ETI uses a much more expensive exchange rate, making a US customer pay $3,159 USD more ($28,995 USD compared to $25,836 USD). -Bea
Bea, in Karl's 3/26 announcement he also wrote:
"This applies to all customers currently in process."
I paid my deposit of USD 2,000 in November 2019, at the time, I was offered the option of paying for the trailer in CAD or USD, now he's breaking the agreement without cause.
I'm not very happy.

Mario
Old 04-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #44
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hi Mario, you bring up an excellent point.

I would also be very frustrated if I paid a deposit and was expecting to pay in CAD, only to be told later that this option was going to be removed and I had to use ETI's expensive exchange rate.

The good news - the ETI trailer is an excellent, high quality trailer.

The bad news - I fear that ETI's 3/26 decision to force US customers to suddenly use an expensive, non-market based exchange rate will damage their reputation. Forcing customers to do this who already paid a deposit strikes me as unethical.

For you and people in your situation, we sincerly hope ETI will make it right soon. - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not forget that the new Escape has more included standard features than the previous models, which accounts for part of any perceived price increase as well as more interior choices that cost several hundred dollars "extra" under the old price set up.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #46

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Hey Jim, let's not forget that it costs about 70k to stick your big toe into a Flying Cloud Airstream.

As far as I can tell, Escape Trailers offer superior value and nobody here seems to be complaining about their rig.

I feel lucky!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Hey Jim, let's not forget that it costs about 70k to stick your big toe into a Flying Cloud Airstream.

As far as I can tell, Escape Trailers offer superior value and nobody here seems to be complaining about their rig.

I feel lucky!
You and me both, and do not forget Oliver which has shut down temporarily...
Old 04-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #48

Trailer: RVLESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by M & M View Post
I paid my deposit of USD 2,000 in November 2019, at the time, I was offered the option of paying for the trailer in CAD or USD, now he's breaking the agreement without cause.
I'm not very happy.

Mario
Nice. Sorry for your loss but thanks so much for sharing. I had researched an Escape when they only had the cdn price sheet and noticed that their exchange rates were no where near correct, or another words, dishonest. So much so that it caused me to pause my efforts. Honest business practices are paramount or the contrary kills your reputation. If you are honest 95% of the time, you're still dishonest. Of course I am old fashioned and grumpy and those things are important to me.
J.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Nice. Sorry for your loss but thanks so much for sharing. I had researched an Escape when they only had the cdn price sheet and noticed that their exchange rates were no where near correct, or another words, dishonest. So much so that it caused me to pause my efforts. Honest business practices are paramount or the contrary kills your reputation. If you are honest 95% of the time, you're still dishonest. Of course I am old fashioned and grumpy and those things are important to me.
Hi: J.P... Honesty, my old boss used to say, is like pregnancy. You either are or you're not!!! How do you feel about big banks making money on your money? Is that dishonest? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & M View Post
I'm not very happy.

Mario
I can not understand how a US customer can be offered a choice to pay other than US dollar? You state you paid $2000 US which I assume was your deposit via cc. Your build sheet would reflect that US payment and perhaps a higher Canadian payment credit. Either way, all future payments would have to be via US dollar, just like any other US customer. Do you have any written correspondence showing otherwise?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I don't think there is any law stopping an American from purchasing a used or new trailer in Canada and importing it on their own back into the US. This is a link to the US Border Patrol website. https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

I have done the import process from the US into Canada, but never the other direction.
You are correct. Escape made the decision to handle the exportation of the trailers to the US to save buyers from having to go to the trouble of doing it, making it easier for them to take possession. While an effort on Escape's part, once they got the whole process figured out, it became relatively easy for them.

I know of a few folks who bought a vehicle in the US and had to import it into Canada. Though not particularly hard, it was a fair bit of work for them to figure out and do. I was looking into it for a new vehicle, and though it would have saved me about $8,000, I would have had to have a broker buy it as a dealer would not sell to me as it is a protection thing put in place by manufacturers. This broker would even export it for me and all I would have to do is have an inspection done on it and ensure it had daytime running lights. This was just too much extra to deal with, plus I would have ended up with a vehicle primarily in miles which is not a great thing for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #52

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
It seems right to stick up for Escape here a little.

I just completed the purchase cycle. I did not feel ripped off what-so-ever.

I asked them for the prices in U.S. dollars, we were given a choice of purchasing or not. And the price we agreed on, was the price we paid. And the value statement is very high.

No, it was not the official exchange rate, but they never said it was. And they were very up front with me BEFORE the sale. That constitutes a willing seller and a willing buyer. You can write a contract with that relationship.

And it did include all the fees. Not sure they were all that much, but I am glad to pay a little for convenience too. I want to hook up and roll!

Overall I would absolutely recommend this company, providing I eventually get my trailer. The wait is on me, I insist on using Trademasters. Can't get to them for now. Gonna wait!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I don't know how much things have changed since 2015, or if it is different for a private sale, but I helped friends purchase a Scamp from a couple in Ontario & it was a relatively easy process. We filled out the transfer paperwork at an Ontario equivalent of a NY DMV, prefilled out an import form (7501), and spent about 20 minutes at the customs station (no broker). Once in NY, took the stamped 7501 form to a DMV, paid the sales tax & registration fee & got the plate.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #54

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19!!
New England!!
Chowdagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #55

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19!!
Thank-you. I didn't mean to cause this much commotion! I was just curious.
Chowdagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #56

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
At face value it does seem a bit unfair to sell trailers for a different price based on citizenship. For reference I'm calculating about a $3,500 US difference in the Canadian and US prices posted for a base 21. Maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't this be an opportunity for an enterprising Canadian to set up a sort of brokerage. Build is agreed upon and the trailer is purchased in the name of the broker. US customer transfers money which is converted to Canadian and transferred to ETI by the broker. The finished trailer is picked up by the broker and imported to Sumas where ownership is transferred. Broker makes some money and the US buyer saves a few thousand dollars. Seems perfectly legal but I'm no international trade guru. I'm sure there are plenty of holes to poke in my master plan...
Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #57

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not forget that the new Escape has more included standard features than the previous models, which accounts for part of any perceived price increase as well as more interior choices that cost several hundred dollars "extra" under the old price set up.
Everyone is entitled to their own perspective in evaluating a situation. That being said, I do not see how the above is relevant to those who paid a deposit and entered into a contract with ETI, before the payment option to pay in either Canadian or US currency was changed. To have ETI unilaterally remove that flexibility from the process, only after they have your money is clearly (from my perspective) dishonest and unethical. Those who had already paid a deposit should be protected and given the payment option that existed when they entered the process. A company that is unwilling to view the situation this way is not one I would be comfortable dealing with. An additional export processing fee was in place when we purchased our Escape in 2018. We knew about it ahead of time. It is a fee not applicable and not charged to Canadian customers.

The value of the product in relation to earlier Escape versions or other brands maybe relevant if you are now considering a purchase, but not if you had already paid non-refundable money and started the process when they forced a new term into an existing agreement. I really hope that Escape makes this right with the folks they effectively trapped (again my perspective only), without those customers having to go to the BBB or through some other process to get relief.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #58

I was never given the option to pay with canadian money on any of my 4 Escapes purchased over the past 8 years. All my payments were via check in US dollars. Why would a US customer pay otherwise? I was aware that the prices shown were in Canadian and that made no difference to me. My exchange was documented via my build sheet showing my payments and amount and dates. I kept sending payments until it was paid in full. What has changed?
Old 04-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape 17B - Café con Leche - 2020
Quote:
I can not understand how a US customer can be offered a choice to pay other than US dollar? You state you paid $2000 US which I assume was your deposit via cc. Your build sheet would reflect that US payment and perhaps a higher Canadian payment credit. Either way, all future payments would have to be via US dollar, just like any other US customer. Do you have any written correspondence showing otherwise?
I placed my deposit on November 30, 2019. Yes, by Credit Card in USD.
On December 2nd, ETI send me an email with a long list of information and in it was this, in which I consider to be "written correspondence showing otherwise"

Payments:

Escape Trailer Industries has the ability to process payments in both Canadian and US Dollars. All payments received in US funds are processed and added to the buildsheet in Canadian Funds. Escape Trailer Industries cannot guarantee or promise an exchange rate. The exchange rate used to convert US to Canadian funds is calculated on the day the money is received. The best option to guarantee an exchange rate is to have your bank process the payment in Canadian Funds prior to sending).
The purchaser can process the remaining balance utilizing any of the following methods:
Canadian or US Wire Transfers, (Please contact Accounting for the necessary information),

At no time ETI make it aware that I was bond to pay the rest of my bill in USD.
Mario
Old 04-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #60

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
I was never given the option to pay with canadian money on any of my 4 Escapes purchased over the past 8 years. All my payments were via check in US dollars. Why would a US customer pay otherwise? I was aware that the prices shown were in Canadian and that made no difference to me. My exchange was documented via my build sheet showing my payments and amount and dates. I kept sending payments until it was paid in full. What has changed?
The difference is that when I bought mine, I sent my US dollars and got an exchange rate that more closely matched the official exchange rate. Now you get whatever exchange rate that ETI has established, which apparently is not nearly as good.