Paying sticker price?? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2020, 06:52 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a feeling that the one "prix fixe" was in anticipation of Escape opening a US office and thus this issue would no longer be approaching 100 responses. If that was/is true, would your opinion be the same. US customers pay in US$ at US distributor, crossing the border and exchange rate issues are no longer involved.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #82

Trailer: 2004 16' Casita Spirit Standard
Before I answer whether my opinion would be the same, I'll restate my opinions to avoid confusion:

1. Anyone holding a contractual agreement that is being retroactively violated via this decision is entitled to legal remedy if that person so chooses.

2. Labeling any customer who expects to pay an equitable market rate in whatever currency the seller accepts as seeking a "discount" is factually incorrect and inflammatory.

3. If a company chooses to set one price in US dollars and another in Canadian dollars without regard to market exchange rates that is its prerogative. Customers are free to react as they see fit.

#3 would seem to closely approximate your hypothetical. I do believe I stated this opinion in my first post so, no, my opinions wouldn't change. I'm certainly not faulting Escape for this aspect of their decision.
ExCivilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #83

If one reads the paperwork one receives when ordering an Escape there are several "time points" mentioned. The $2500 deposit secures your completion date, nothing more is due. Of that $2500, $500 is non refundable and the remaining $2000 is non refundable once the unit enters production. Furthermore "Prices are subject to change without notice. ETI reserves the right to change the price of an option based on market fluctuations. Te customer will be notified of all changes when they come into effect. Once a build sheet is confirmed, the option price list becomes fixed."
So the customer is aware there can/could be changes until the build sheet is signed. That prevents changes and protects the consumer. Escape will request a signed build sheet before production starts.
The build sheet further states another $2500 deposit before production starts and that is non refundable once your trailer enters production.
The customer is only at risk losing $500 cdn if they cancel any time up to start of production.
The paperwork is clear in its intention and dates. Subsequent events like the current Pandemic situation, the customs certification, may impact fees and dates, all of which are out of control of both Escape and the consumer.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #84

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If one reads the paperwork one receives when ordering an Escape there are several "time points" mentioned. The $2500 deposit secures your completion date, nothing more is due. Of that $2500, $500 is non refundable and the remaining $2000 is non refundable once the unit enters production. Furthermore "Prices are subject to change without notice. ETI reserves the right to change the price of an option based on market fluctuations. Te customer will be notified of all changes when they come into effect. Once a build sheet is confirmed, the option price list becomes fixed."
So the customer is aware there can/could be changes until the build sheet is signed. That prevents changes and protects the consumer. Escape will request a signed build sheet before production starts.
The build sheet further states another $2500 deposit before production starts and that is non refundable once your trailer enters production.
The customer is only at risk losing $500 cdn if they cancel any time up to start of production.
The paperwork is clear in its intention and dates. Subsequent events like the current Pandemic situation, the customs certification, may impact fees and dates, all of which are out of control of both Escape and the consumer.

The verbiage you quote applies to changing prices of trailer options, not currencies accepted for payment. Your logic is flawed.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #85

Here is the verbiage on the payments. ETI has the ability to process both Canadian and US dollars. All US payments received are processed and displayed in Canadian Funds. Escape Trailer Industries can not guarantee or promise an exchange rate. The rate used to convert US to Canadian funds is calculated on the day the money is received. (the best option to guarantee an exchange rate is to have your bank process the payment in Canadian funds prior to sending)

So there is no stated exchange rate and unless your bank can give you a rate then one has to wait until processing. I tried sending a wire once to Escape, took 15 days as Wells Fargo in New York is the clearing bank for international wires. I found sending checks in the mail arrived quicker, at least for me.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is the verbiage on the payments. ETI has the ability to process both Canadian and US dollars. All US payments received are processed and displayed in Canadian Funds. Escape Trailer Industries can not guarantee or promise an exchange rate. The rate used to convert US to Canadian funds is calculated on the day the money is received. (the best option to guarantee an exchange rate is to have your bank process the payment in Canadian funds prior to sending)

So there is no stated exchange rate and unless your bank can give you a rate then one has to wait until processing. I tried sending a wire once to Escape, took 15 days as Wells Fargo in New York is the clearing bank for international wires. I found sending checks in the mail arrived quicker, at least for me.
None of that applies with their new policy Jim. They don't use an exchange rate at all. They "fixed" the USD price at a set amount.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #87

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Woke up this morning, wondering if anybody has actually gone to their bank to buy Canadian dollars with US dollars. The exchange rate you see on the internet is fiction for regular consumers. So, when calculating your "loss", the rate your bank will actually give you, plus any fees, will be closer to ETI's rate.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Woke up this morning, wondering if anybody has actually gone to their bank to buy Canadian dollars with US dollars. The exchange rate you see on the internet is fiction for regular consumers. So, when calculating your "loss", the rate your bank will actually give you, plus any fees, will be closer to ETI's rate.
Closer yes, but when the spread is 8 or 9 cents? Even taking into account the fees charged when the money hits the bank, we are talking several thousands of dollars difference.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #89

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Closer yes, but when the spread is 8 or 9 cents? Even taking into account the fees charged when the money hits the bank, we are talking several thousands of dollars difference.

My point is that the rates recently posted here are 70, 71 cents for Canadian dollar. When you go to your bank, you'll likely pay closer to 75 cents. Still significant difference, but not as bad as some have indicated.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #90
Site Team

Quote:
My point is that the rates recently posted here are 70, 71 cents for Canadian dollar. When you go to your bank, you'll likely pay closer to 75 cents. Still significant difference, but not as bad as some have indicated.
I can only speak from experience when it comes to the rate. When our funds were deposited in the bank used by ETI, the difference in the published rate and the rate we received was less than 1 cent.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #91

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #92

Can anyone post the current policy? I am going by my last build sheet. Perhaps the verbiage has changed on the new build sheets?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #93

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I can only speak from experience when it comes to the rate. When our funds were deposited in the bank used by ETI, the difference in the published rate and the rate we received was less than 1 cent.
When we bought our trailer, we had to shop around to get the best exchange rate - they varied a lot from one bank to another.

Ended up using Fidelity to do the transfer and they were within a penny of the published rate with no charge for service.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #94

Trailer: Escape 17B - Café con Leche - 2020
Quote:
Glenn,
On my dealings with ETI, I offered a compromise:
I'd pay the exchange rate in effect the day a signed my Build Sheet which was 0.757, I guess they didn't like it, I said "guess" because the last four emails I send to ETI were not answer.
Mario
Old 04-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
To buy or not to buy?

Hi: All... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #96

Ok folks we are not prosecuting nor is anyone being charged here, so let us keep the comments civil....
Old 04-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #97

I apologize and have restored your post. The forum rules are such that issues with the manufacturer are not to be discussed here. Let us try and follow such rules.