Paying sticker price?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by madvetos View Post
looked at thread didn't see anything , but very long thread. Can you explain why I cannot pay with canadian dollars?
You can - go to Canada, and take delivery at the factory (when that is again possible, of course), and you will pay in Canadian dollars.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
looked at thread didn't see anything , but very long thread. Can you explain why I cannot pay with canadian dollars?
Sometimes you have to read a long thread to find your answer.......
Old 04-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
As far as I know you can pay in either currency. There are no restriction as to which currency you choose.

Here is how to look at it.

If you want to buy a trailer worth $42,000 CAD, the value the manufacturer attaches to that product, you can pay in U. S. dollars or Canadian dollars.

If you pay in CAD, you pay $42,000 Canadian dollars.
If you pay in U.S. dollars you pay $29,755.79.

The exchange rate, which you cannot avoid, is about 1:1.4.

It is as easy as that. No you cannot pay $29,755.79 in Canadian dollars. Nobody will accept that payment. International commerce rules, countries that have an unfavorable exchange rate drool!

Your bank will do the exchange for you. Either way somebody will.
Attached Thumbnails
exchange rate for today.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Casita SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You can - go to Canada, and take delivery at the factory (when that is again possible, of course), and you will pay in Canadian dollars.
Is that a fact or conjecture?
brad2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
.................... Can you explain why I cannot pay with canadian dollars?
US buyers take delivery in Sumas WA and pay in their native currency and Canadian buyers take delivery in Chilliwack BC and pay in their native currency.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I do not think US citizens can take delivery inside Canada, as Escape has to import the trailer to the US for US citizens. I do not think the paperwork allows the US citizen to perform that function.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #27

Trailer: Searching
Quote:
ETI made it a policy recently that all US residents must may the price listed in US dollars, not the Canadian price. What you’ll read in the other thread is a debate on this policy, as the exchange rate used by ETI inflates the US price by roughly 10% compared to managing the currency exchange yourself and paying in Canadian dollars. Prior to this new policy, ETI only published 1 price in Canadian dollars. Below is a link to a statement from ETI’s president announcing the formal transition to this policy.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nts-17452.html
tgunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #28

Trailer: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2002 View Post
Is that a fact or conjecture?
I’m fairly certain that’s conjecture. Currency, and thus price, is based on the country selected in your billing information. This info is from ETI’s deposit form on their web site. I don’t think it matters where you take delivery.
tgunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17B - Café con Leche - 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

If you want to buy a trailer worth $42,000 CAD, the value the manufacturer attaches to that product, you can pay in U. S. dollars or Canadian dollars.

If you pay in CAD, you pay $42,000 Canadian dollars.
If you pay in U.S. dollars you pay $29,755.79.
Is not the case anymore, if you a US customer and want to buy the CAD 42,000, ETI will charge you USD 33,600.
They have set a fix exchange rate of 1 CAD = 0.80 USD

Mario
Old 04-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
You would think I would know this little detail, having just been thru the process. Thanks.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:21 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
I just bought one of the inventory models. I'm not the best wheeler & dealer on the planet but I'm probably at least average at it and I couldn't get them to budge.

However if you see one that's been there for a long time, give it a shot. The one we wanted was built in January, I believe, so it was quite new.

Good luck.
Meandering Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:51 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Keep in mind, ETI was working on some sort of a dealer network or factory outlet in the US. Those inventory trailers may be somewhat surplus currently, but when the time comes, they'll be shipped out quickly.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Sticker shock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdagirl View Post
Hello all. I hope you are staying safe. I have a question. I noticed that ETI has some "inventory" trailers on their lot and was wondering if anyone ever made an offer or are we pretty much stuck with the sticker price?

Thank-you!
Hi: Chowdagirl... You could do what we did being Canadians. Picked up in BC and paid the ETI price + Federal sales tax of 6%. Then back home in Ontario register the tag and pay another 7% sales tax. (Rates at time of sale)
US customers pick up in Sumas Wa. due to BC sales tax laws making ETI export the trailer rather than charge the customer any Canadian sales tax.
IMHO the US customers get an advantage that we, dealing with a Canadian Co. DON'T Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Chowdagirl... You could do what we did being Canadians. Picked up in BC and paid the ETI price + Federal sales tax of 6%. Then back home in Ontario register the tag and pay another 7% sales tax. (Rates at time of sale)
US customers pick up in Sumas Wa. due to BC sales tax laws making ETI export the trailer rather than charge the customer any Canadian sales tax.
IMHO the US customers get an advantage that we, dealing with a Canadian Co. DON'T Alf
Most of us have various taxes we're responsible for but I fail to see how any one individual's taxes has any bearing on another's purchase price.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Most of us have various taxes we're responsible for but I fail to see how any one individual's taxes has any bearing on another's purchase price.
As I understand it, you as an American can purchase the trailer with Canadian dollars and take possession of it in Canada. You will likely have to pay the Canadian BC provincial and federal taxes when you purchase the trailer. You would then have to import the trailer yourself to the USA, managing whatever paperwork may be required for that process. Once in the USA, you would be subject to whatever taxes your local government requires for licensing/registering your trailer. Also once in the US, you may be able to apply to the Canadian government to have your Canadian taxes that you paid on the trailer at purchase refunded to you, as the trailer was imported to the US.

An alternative to the above process is for you to pay for your trailer at the US dollar rates posted by Escape, and have them import the trailer into the US at Sumas, where you can pick it up. With that process, the purchase price would not include the Canadian taxes.

You do have a choice.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #36

Quote:
It has a big bearing if the tax becomes in fact part of the purchase price, an ad valorem tax. Similar to adding a handling fee or similar that is added to all product prices, paid by everyone, dependent on their nationality. Then you have additional fees like sales or registration, which are state dependent.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
As I understand it, you as an American can purchase the trailer with Canadian dollars and take possession of it in Canada. You will likely have to pay the Canadian BC provincial and federal taxes when you purchase the trailer. You would then have to import the trailer yourself to the USA, managing whatever paperwork may be required for that process. Once in the USA, you would be subject to whatever taxes your local government requires for licensing/registering your trailer. Also once in the US, you may be able to apply to the Canadian government to have your Canadian taxes that you paid on the trailer at purchase refunded to you, as the trailer was imported to the US.

An alternative to the above process is for you to pay for your trailer at the US dollar rates posted by Escape, and have them import the trailer into the US at Sumas, where you can pick it up. With that process, the purchase price would not include the Canadian taxes.

You do have a choice.
I do not think you can take possession in Canada. Escape has to import the trailer into the US. In addition there is a Federal excise tax of 6% on imports you may have to pay, if you do not register the trailer in your home state.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not think you can take possession in Canada. Escape has to import the trailer into the US. In addition there is a Federal excise tax of 6% on imports you may have to pay, if you do not register the trailer in your home state.
I don't think there is any law stopping an American from purchasing a used or new trailer in Canada and importing it on their own back into the US. This is a link to the US Border Patrol website. https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

I have done the import process from the US into Canada, but never the other direction.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I don't think there is any law stopping an American from purchasing a used or new trailer in Canada and importing it on their own back into the US. This is a link to the US Border Patrol website. https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

I have done the import process from the US into Canada, but never the other direction.
Hi: Dave Walter... As the Newfies say "You pays your money... and you takes your choose". Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #40

Quote:

Thanks. The site makes it seem straight forward and duty free.