Photo Editing / Processing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Photo Editing / Processing

I open a photo in photo editing software that in addition to resizing, cropping, adjusting saturation, overlapping images (cut and paste) etc etc etc also has a versatile text inserting tool.

I use Photoshop exclusively. That's a very high end, very expensive software (latest versions $600++) but I picked up an old, old, long outdated version on eBay, Adobe Photoshop CS2, for I think it was $40-50 bucks. Been a long time user (going back to my first pirated copy) and prefer it over the much cheaper consumer version, Adobe Photoshop Elements, v. 10, ($90.00?) only because I'm more comfortable with its tools, but Elements does the same basic stuff.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You can really go old skool and insert your image into Word, add text boxes, arrows, etc. Then using the Snipping Tool (under Accessories, on a PC) and get a screen capture that you can add to your post.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

Hey now Donna, I just tried that... it's klutsy but it works. That Snipping Tool thing is new to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Snipped-in-Word.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
One of the easiest and cheapest (free) software programs for photo manipulation (coloring, black & white, collages, vignette, text addition, etc.) is Google's Picasa. It's the only one I've ever used; it may not be as sophisticated as Photoshop but it does the job for me:

Picasa
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Can you still purchase Photoshop? I believe the latest version is only available through their "Creative Cloud" subscription program - Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99 per month or the entire Adobe family for $49.99 per month. Since I use 5 of their products, the $50.00 per month is actually less expensive than it was when I was buying & updating individual products.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I open a photo in photo editing software that in addition to resizing, cropping, adjusting saturation, overlapping images (cut and paste) etc etc etc also has a versatile text inserting tool.

I use Photoshop exclusively. That's a very high end, very expensive software (latest versions $600++) but I picked up an old, old, long outdated version on eBay, Adobe Photoshop CS2, for I think it was $40-50 bucks. Been a long time user (going back to my first pirated copy) and prefer it over the much cheaper consumer version, Adobe Photoshop Elements, v. 10, ($90.00?) only because I'm more comfortable with its tools, but Elements does the same basic stuff.
In my teaching days, Photoshop was part of some of my classes. I used to always recommend that unless you were planning on using it professionally, to buy Photoshop Elements. I've been retired now for 8 years and I'm sure that they have both progressed a lot in that time, but back then, Photoshop Elements did about 90% of what full blown Photoshop did and most of the remaining 10% was not usually features that non-professionals would miss. Whether that is still the case with the latest versions I don't know.

Of course, that only really applied when teaching adults. No matter how many times I tried to convince them not to do it and explained why not to, most of my high school students just went onto pirate sites and downloaded Photoshop. Probably one of the reasons Adobe went to the current subscription model Jon mentions.

Karen's suggestion is very good. Picasa is a great little free app with lots of easy features.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Site Team

I've got a gazillion dollars worth of software. I really dislike the creative cloud versions because you are renting it, not owning it and it can't be used off-line. Not helpful at all for those that camp and aren't connected.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #8

I think downloading subscription versions is total abomination, like a sword hanging over your keyboard. I say, always get the hard copy.

Elements I see on EBay is up to version 13 now and seems to be going strong. There's a ton of Photoshop software available on EBay but you really really must be very careful what you buy and not get stuck with something you find out too late you can't use because a previous version is required. It may well be that CS2 will not work with Win. 8.1. (One reason I'm still using Vista is because am afraid my very ancient ACCESS database would not be compatible.

Agree, Karen, Picasa is the safest, best, free alternative.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've got a gazillion dollars worth of software. I really dislike the creative cloud versions because you are renting it, not owning it and it can't be used off-line. Not helpful at all for those that camp and aren't connected.
I agree. I don't use the Picasa software to do anything other than manipulate photos on my computer. My tablet has it's own photo software and I'm very seldom on-line when using it while camping.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
One word of caution on buying Adobe software on eBay. Adobe is pretty tough on serial number registrations (at least they used to be) If it is a used copy and someone does not properly deregister their copy before selling it, you might not be able to get it to run, as it will show up in their database as already registered to someone else.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The creative cloud software works fine off line (the entire program is downloaded to your computer). You do have to connect to Adobe every 90 days to keep it operating. So far I have not had a problem, however I agree that not having complete control over usage annoys me. Still, software updates come along far more often than with the old disk based system.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #12

Heck, if you read all the fine print in software user agreements, according to them, you never really own anything -- they just sorta generously grant you the right to use it.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Site Team

I'm using CC at work. Maybe the multi-seat version is different. It definitely says it's not available off-line. We moved everything to the cloud this past year. When the connection gets shakey problems happen!
Old 11-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Uh, guys, just a bit of thread drift here:

Maybe a lot of this could be moved into a new thread called photo editing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Uh, guys, just a bit of thread drift here:

Maybe a lot of this could be moved into a new thread called photo editing.
I agree. Until it gets moved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Heck, if you read all the fine print in software user agreements, according to them, you never really own anything -- they just sorta generously grant you the right to use it.
True, but there is a difference between buying the right to use it in perpetuity, and renting the right to use it for a limited subscription term.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hey Ron I was thinking we should have one big thread called "Escape stuff" then we wouldn't have to worry about drifting off topic...

Cheers Doug
Old 11-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Hey Ron I was thinking we should have one big thread called "Escape stuff" then we wouldn't have to worry about drifting off topic...
Still sounds a little narrow... maybe just "Stuff" :
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #18

Now that we've moved to a new thread I can point out that there must be differences between the individual & group CC memberships.

I have used Dreamweaver CC & Photoshop CC for a week at a time well out of range any internet connection. Twice since starting the subscription I have received a screen notice that I have XX (starting at 90) days to connect with Adobe to continue the use of the software. Both times I did not have an internet connection, and in both cases, it automatically reset (without any obvious connection to Adobe) once I had an internet connection. While I'm often without the internet while traveling, I have never been without it for more than a week.

All in all, while I'm unhappy with the idea that the software I'm paying for might not be available when I want to use it, so far it has not been a problem either at home or on the road. My subscription gives me access to ALL the Adobe software, and I have been able to use some of the applications that I would have never felt necessary enough to pay for separately.

I do think the Lightroom/Photoshop combination for $10.00 per month is a pretty good deal. While I have used Photoshop Essentials Version 8 (I have been teaching classes at our local library & it is the latest version they have) I have a number of Actions I've written in Photoshop that are not available with Essentials. Other than that & the fine tuning of adjustments available in the full version of Photoshop, I agree that Essentials will do most of what a photographer wants. Actually, I find I do 95% of my editing in Lightroom, and is a great image indexing tool. If I had to pick one application, it would be Lightroom.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #19

Jon, you have the skill set to notice the differences between Elements and Photoshop. I haven't tried Lightroom, but I sure love the photo editing abilities of Aperture. I'm sorry that it is going away. Apple is supposedly going to bring a lot of its abilities into the new Photo app - I hope its true.

Sometimes the editing capabilities of these new powerful programs makes it seem like cheating! It so easy to improve photos, doing in seconds what took forever to accomplish in a darkroom.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
I've used Photoshop for about 20 years but never upgraded from CS3. When I go full-time (10/15), will probably buy Elements to install on my laptop since I'll be waving good-bye to my iMac. Never used Lightroom but sat with a friend while he was using it last week and now I know why it is so loved.