Picked Up 21' !! - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #121

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
A young one
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #122

Saskatchewan has wonderful hills and ponds with unusual grasses. Saskatchewan Landing PP was one of my favorite parks.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #123

We had a nice water site at Crooked Lake PP.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #124

Crooked Lake
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #125

Saw hundreds of mallards but don't know what this big bird was, for you birders.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #126

Our last big stop was Riding Mountain National Park. There is a nice town, Wasagaming, in the park on Clear Lake. This is a creek in the park.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #127

One of the lakes at Riding Mountain.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #128

Those of you who now want the bare Escapes may not approve of our maps! Which is just the start of our graphics.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #129

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like the "nude" look as well as the white belly band. I notice you went for the smaller awning kitchen window, would you do that again?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I like the "nude" look as well as the white belly band. I notice you went for the smaller awning kitchen window, would you do that again?
Yes, we have had rain many nights and can have it open. That was the reason we wanted it. We almost never put up the awning so we do not have the kitchen window under it if it rains, but we can open the awning window with rain. Did not put up the awning a single time on this trip.

The belly band does not actually match the trailer as the band is grayish so don't know if some would like that. I think I prefer it to the black though.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #131

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am curious as to why you did not use the awning at all? It is a very rare occasion that we do not use ours, as it gives us shelter from the rain and the sun, and makes a great marshalling area before coming into the trailer.

Setting up the awning is part of our setup procedure. I do understand that precaution is needed in high wind areas.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #132

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
The belly band does not actually match the trailer as the band is grayish so don't know if some would like that.
Even if they matched when the trailer was built, they probably wouldn't after a few years. Different plastics change colour at different rates, so after a while the difference can be quite noticeable. A different but complementary colour seems like a better choice to me - light gray sounds fine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am curious as to why you did not use the awning at all? It is a very rare occasion that we do not use ours, as it gives us shelter from the rain and the sun, and makes a great marshalling area before coming into the trailer.

Setting up the awning is part of our setup procedure. I do understand that precaution is needed in high wind areas.
It is usually either too cold, too windy and/or we are not there enough. We tend to do a lot of sightseeing and spend little time at the trailer. I know you spend time at the campsite. If we are not sightseeing, we are likely out doing other errands. Only there in the evening to eat outside briefly if possible, but this trip had quite a bit of weather that was too cold. Still is cold now even after going south a bit.

The day we spent at the Jasper campsite was perfect, not hot, so it did not occur to us to use the awning. We stayed by the fire and used the table.

We also would not bother with the awning with a one-night stop which we had many of on this trip. We spent our most time at Banff and Jasper and were just busy seeing and doing as usual. So much incredible scenery. Truly a fantastic trip that everyone should get to do.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 PM   #134

For those of you going to Canada, at the border they allow bear spray but no other personal defense spray. Interested in tobacco and alcohol and other weapons. Coming into the U.S., they did not care about our bananas, strawberries, avocado or flax seeds but were looking for citrus such as oranges or limes. Looked in our cooler and in the trailer in the refrigerator.

The border guard this time said she saw over twenty bears! between Banff/Jasper area and Waterton Lakes.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:04 AM   #135

Thanks for 'splaining, Cathy. We don't set up the awning for a quick overnight either, unless it is raining. It is true that because we are mostly 4-5 day at a time campers until I retire, that we are often around camp more, often with a bunch of other people. Though, even on longer trips where we do lots of exploring during the day, we keep the awning set up, just something we have done since our first RV, which was a tent trailer 25 years ago.

We do often see a couple wet coats hanging on hooks outside, as well as grubby footwear. If raining we put the picnic table underneath too, as well as set up for cooking under cover.

With our 19 we did wear the fabric out, and had to replace it after four years, though spider web type cracks/holes caused by hail was the worst offender to the damage. Fortunately a whole bunch of us and our gear hunkered under it came out of the storm unscathed. I can't remember, but Reace got me the replacement fabric for just over $100, and install was quite easy.

On our way to and from our canoe trip destination a couple weeks back, we drove the Icefields Parkway. Even though I have done that trip many a time, I will never, ever, tire of it. Absolutely gorgeous country there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Thanks for 'splaining, Cathy. We don't set up the awning for a quick overnight either, unless it is raining. It is true that because we are mostly 4-5 day at a time campers until I retire, that we are often around camp more, often with a bunch of other people. Though, even on longer trips where we do lots of exploring during the day, we keep the awning set up, just something we have done since our first RV, which was a tent trailer 25 years ago.

We do often see a couple wet coats hanging on hooks outside, as well as grubby footwear. If raining we put the picnic table underneath too, as well as set up for cooking under cover.

With our 19 we did wear the fabric out, and had to replace it after four years, though spider web type cracks/holes caused by hail was the worst offender to the damage. Fortunately a whole bunch of us and our gear hunkered under it came out of the storm unscathed. I can't remember, but Reace got me the replacement fabric for just over $100, and install was quite easy.

On our way to and from our canoe trip destination a couple weeks back, we drove the Icefields Parkway. Even though I have done that trip many a time, I will never, ever, tire of it. Absolutely gorgeous country there.

FirstJim, I realized why you always put up the awning and we do not: sun. You are boondocking. We are at campgrounds. Campgrounds have tried to have treed sites because their customers are usually there in summer in hot weather and want shade.

It is difficult for us to go to a campground with our 21' and find a site where we can get sun on the solar panel because so many places are heavily treed at every single site. We had no services the first few days and could hardly get any sun at our shaded sites. We, however, are in the sun driving and in storage, and will put 303 Aerospace on the awning to see of that will keep it from becoming brittle.

Yes, the Icefields Parkway is so stunning all along. So much amazing scenery. The water is that unusual very light turquoise in the rivers, and Lake Louise, that we have not seen anywhere else. The mountains are so spectacular. Maligne Lake is another fantastic site with the mountain covered in snow even in August.

We did actually eat lunch at the campsite today for a change but no awning. Shade and a little cold. Saw very few hot days and sunny sites on this trip as you apparently often do. That 'splains it.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #137

Sounds like you guys know how to have fun, and got to see all the beauty you did. Everyone should explore that area at least once in their live.

I think a protectant on the awning is a good idea, though keeping it rolled up protects it as well.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #138

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Nice Photos again ! Look like you folks are still in Manitoba , if you are still travelling east through the province there are some beautiful beaches on the southern end of Lake Winnipeg and Lake Manitoba and the weather is looking pretty warm !
Old 09-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Nice Photos again ! Look like you folks are still in Manitoba , if you are still travelling east through the province there are some beautiful beaches on the southern end of Lake Winnipeg and Lake Manitoba and the weather is looking pretty warm !
Not still there. Wanted to go to that area but can't this trip. Will keep those in mind. Thanks. Really liked Manitoba also. Riding Mountain, Clear Lake marina and beach.

We are in South Dakota now and Brookings is a very nice town. The campsite is one of the best we have had at the nearby state park.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Even if they matched when the trailer was built, they probably wouldn't after a few years. Different plastics change colour at different rates, so after a while the difference can be quite noticeable. A different but complementary colour seems like a better choice to me - light gray sounds fine.
You're right. Didn't think of that. We'll see how they change.