Picked up our new 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Picked up our new 21

Yesterday October 12th we had our orientation at 8am. Met Tammy and Reace and some of the crew. We actually showed up on the 11th hoping to get a tour. But because of expansion tours have been nixed for awhile. Very busy place right now. Did get to look at the 2nd generation 17 & 19. Orientation took a full 2 hours, very informative. We are not new to RVing so some of it was par for the course,and lots was new, did ask lots of questions and all were answered fully with much patience. Tammys dad installed our WD hitch and walked me thru it. We met with Tammy and signed the final paper work. Than Tammy's dad hauled it across the boarder and we meet him at Bob"s Burgers and Brew in Sumas. Hooked it up, shook hands, and had lunch at Bob's, than came to the KOA in Lynden. Spent the afternoon unloading the truck and packing everything into the camper. Everything is working perfectly. Had my truck serviced today at Bellingham Toyota and was going to head out tomorrow, but we are in the middle of a good size storm. So think we are going to ride it out here and head East Saturday morning. We love this 21! Very impressed with the quality of this unit. We are sung as a bug in this stormy weather. I tried to post a picture, but can't figure out how to move it from my photo album to this thread on my I-pad. I'll keep trying.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Yesterday October 12th we had our orientation at 8am. Met Tammy and Reace and some of the crew. We actually showed up on the 11th hoping to get a tour. But because of expansion tours have been nixed for awhile. Very busy place right now. Did get to look at the 2nd generation 17 & 19. Orientation took a full 2 hours, very informative. We are not new to RVing so some of it was par for the course,and lots was new, did ask lots of questions and all were answered fully with much patience. Tammys dad installed our WD hitch and walked me thru it. We met with Tammy and signed the final paper work. Than Tammy's dad hauled it across the boarder and we meet him at Bob"s Burgers and Brew in Sumas. Hooked it up, shook hands, and had lunch at Bob's, than came to the KOA in Lynden. Spent the afternoon unloading the truck and packing everything into the camper. Everything is working perfectly. Had my truck serviced today at Bellingham Toyota and was going to head out tomorrow, but we are in the middle of a good size storm. So think we are going to ride it out here and head East Saturday morning. We love this 21! Very impressed with the quality of this unit. We are sung as a bug in this stormy weather. I tried to post a picture, but can't figure out how to move it from my photo album to this thread on my I-pad. I'll keep trying.
Hi: Jake930... Congratulations... Finally heading east? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Long trip ahead. Stay safe, and enjoy your new home on wheels!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Hey John, I'm curious to know how your Tundra does pulling your new 21' over the Rockies. I assume you'll have plenty of power for the long uphill grades at high altitude. I'm more curious about how much the long steep grades hurt your fuel efficiency (mpg) in real world numbers. The guys who do the "Super Ike Gauntlet" tests on I-70 West of Denver (8 miles of 7% grade; to over 11,000 feet elevation) use 6 mpg at near full towing capacity at near speed limit (60 mph) as their standard. Your new 21' will weigh significantly less than what they're pulling, so I'm just curious to know how much better you'll do with fuel efficiency than they did in their gauntlet video. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:35 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I managed to get close to 21 mpg going out to Chilliwack unhooked but this number dropped to 13.5 on the return trip while hooked up. More or less took the same route through the mountains.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0645.jpg  
Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
speed

Jim I wonder if you slowed down to 65 mph would your economy get better ? When trailering we usually keep it at about 65 mph
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

Yes, when trailering I do drive slower, but this was on the way out without the trailer and the speed limit was 80 in several places.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Hey John, I'm curious to know how your Tundra does pulling your new 21' over the Rockies. I assume you'll have plenty of power for the long uphill grades at high altitude. I'm more curious about how much the long steep grades hurt your fuel efficiency (mpg) in real world numbers. The guys who do the "Super Ike Gauntlet" tests on I-70 West of Denver (8 miles of 7% grade; to over 11,000 feet elevation) use 6 mpg at near full towing capacity at near speed limit (60 mph) as their standard. Your new 21' will weigh significantly less than what they're pulling, so I'm just curious to know how much better you'll do with fuel efficiency than they did in their gauntlet video. Dale
I plan on doing a review on the truck when i get back. Remember i have the 4.6
Engine not the 5.7. I had reset the MPG read out on the frist fill-up when I left home. Coming out at a steady 67 mph (Jim ,80 just ain't happening for me) I averaged 18.7 by the truck read out over 3030 miles and 18.3 when I figured it out on paper. Across the high plains and mountians I drove it in S-mode with 6th locked out. In drive in 6th it hunted all the time in these areas. Going back we'll see. I had never been over thr Rockies this far north. Always on I-80 and I-70 further south. They are a lot tamer up here than down in S/W Wyoming or central Colorado. We will be heading out tomorrow morning, there's going to be a 6 hour window in this storm that the winds cease and than its going to hit agin but worse. So we should make it over the cascades and at least out of the storm area.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We just returned from a 5 week trip to New Mexico and my gas mileage (US gallons) was between 10-12 MPG most of the trip. There were a lot of elevation changes as we climbed to as high as 11,000 ft on the various passes.

This is with a 2005 Tundra (about the same towing performance as a current Tacoma) and towing our Escape 21. With the higher U.S. speed limits I cruised close to the limit unless it was 80 MPH, when I cruised at 73-74 MPG. I hope to make this truck last a few more years, because it has a higher payload capacity than a Taco and yet IT FITS IN OUR SMALLER GARAGE along with the car and all the stuff I store in there.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #10

Has anyone towed with the new Honda Ridgeline? It really looks nice......
Old 10-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We just returned from a 5 week trip to New Mexico and my gas mileage (US gallons) was between 10-12 MPG most of the trip. There were a lot of elevation changes as we climbed to as high as 11,000 ft on the various passes.

This is with a 2005 Tundra (about the same towing performance as a current Tacoma) and towing our Escape 21. With the higher U.S. speed limits I cruised close to the limit unless it was 80 MPH, when I cruised at 73-74 MPG. I hope to make this truck last a few more years, because it has a higher payload capacity than a Taco and yet IT FITS IN OUR SMALLER GARAGE along with the car and all the stuff I store in there.
Got 11.6 mpg coming over stevens and Lookout pass. Truck shifted down to 3rd a couple of times but never went over 3000rpm maintaining 55 mph. We are in Deer Lodge for a couple days, Homestead pass yet to come which is the highest one on I-90. So far getting 12.5 on the flats at 65-70 locked in 5th. I'm thinking it will get a little better once we get over the rest of the mountians and off the high plains. We'll see
Old 10-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Hey Jake, I believe you mean Homestake pass as you head East of Butte MT. I actually find Homestake not that bad. Be ready for the climb just East of Whitehall. Long climb up with many long curves, but once you are up to the top it levels out and no down hill from there.

Bozeman pass as you head East of Bozeman is easy.

If you are inclined to stop in Bozeman MT area let me know.

406 - Five Eight Zero - Nine Two Six Eight.

Happy Trails!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote