Picking up your new Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Picking up your new Escape

Not wanting to hi-jack the "Halfway home" thread I thought that it'd be better to make some comments in a new thread.

I can understand the desire to immediately head back to the US where most items are cheaper. However with the Canadian buck at 90 cents US there's not all that much difference now. That being said, within days of picking ours up we'll be down at Camping World in Burlington stocking up on trailer related items.

As to having to leave Mr. Ruger in WA while you pop up to Canada, that cuts both ways. Your gun laws, as liberal as they are, still mostly prohibit a non-resident alien, that's me, a Canadian, from possessing firearms in the US.

As for "what's to see in the Vancouver area?" many books could be written. The panorama from two of the mountains minutes away are spectacular. From Mt. Baker in WA in the East to the US San Juans and Vancouver Island in the West. One of the fantastic things about living in Vancouver is the proximity to a vast array of differing scenery. You can be boating or kayaking in the morning, hiking in a canyon in the afternoon or cycling around Stanley Park and skiing at night, never more than a half hour from home. Disclaimer: no I don't work for the tourism board but I've traveled enough to know a good thing when I see it.

The only negative I see, and this doesn't just relate to Vancouver, is that it's sometimes difficult to find a place to park the trailer near the city so that you can go do tourist stuff without it. In my case, if I saw someone posting "do you know any place close to Vancouver that we could park overnight?" I'd probably answer "my driveway".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Hi Ron,
Who said anything about firearms? That's prohibited on this forum. That's the name of my poodle. Personally, I see no reason to leave all your friends in Canada Ron.
I noticed when I was in Washington state that many of the cars in the Walmart and Camping World parking lots had Canadian license plates. What I couldn't figure out was why so many people were walked back across at Sumas with gallon jugs of milk?
I would love to travel and camp British Columbia. I learned the winters aren't that bad. I was surprised by just how much of Vancouver was influenced by Singapore.
The exchange rate was in your favor when we were last there in July 2012. This may be a good year for Americans to buy an Escape.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Our first trip after taking possession of our Escape in April will be in WA state- just because we're not sure if we will have plates for the trailer or just a temporary trip permit. We feel more comfortable having all our trailer plates and tags before returning to the US from Canada. I'm not sure why the border patrol folks are always suspicious of a 60'ish couple but apparently we fit the demographic for international drug smugglers
Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: No more Escape 21
You'll have no problem with the trip permit. Remember that you take delivery in the US, not in Canada -- Escape brings your new trailer across the border at Sumas.

With the papers supplied by Escape plus a stamped ICE form, you then applied for your plates and have the "privilege" of paying Use (ie Sales) tax.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Jan and Paul,
Be thankful you don't have a Texan citizenship. Reality television is influencing the way border agents deal with us. Not all of us hunt snakes, wild hogs. ride horses, and rob trains and stagecoaches. In 2012 we had to cross to get our Escape. Coming back they were too busy at Sumas taking someone's car apart. It started with the firewood they were bring into the US in their Yule
ski carrier.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The script writers and producers are probably drooling when they see Texas plates.
And Canadian Border Services are fully willing to cooperate, because the Conservative government wants them to ( Law 'n' Order, you know ), and because their mom will see them on TV.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #7

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Crossing the Northern border

We have never had a problem going either direction in any vehicle. But, the US guy had a tough time trying to understand why we traveled from AZ to Canada just to buy a trailer. We have even crossed while riding our Harleys and did not get a second look. Last trip I did have to leave a package in Bellingham to pick up on the return trip. Now that we are in our 70's I guess I won't leave things anywhere because I might forget where I left it or why I had it.
Jack

P.S. I hope to have the fridge temp figured out by the time we get to Texas.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote