Planning our 17B build - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Planning our 17B build

Working on our 17B build and in reading this heading it is clear that reinforcing and wire drops are common. Can anyone tell me:

1. We know we will want the trailer reinforced in the bath wall and the front dinette (for a Lagun table support). Is there anywhere (other than bothering ETI) to find out all the areas that can be reinforced (and maybe even why)?

2. 12v wire drops are quite common and seem to be put all over the place depending upon personal preference. Does anyone know how much ETI charges for each one (at this time)?

3. In looking at the build sheet there is no entry for 'AC ready'. Does this include running the wire to the thermostat in addition to power and structure reinforcement? What did it cost someone who had it done?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
3. I believe all ETI trailers are AC ready ... double check with the factory
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Working on our 17B build and in reading this heading it is clear that reinforcing and wire drops are common. Can anyone tell me:

1. We know we will want the trailer reinforced in the bath wall and the front dinette (for a Lagun table support). Is there anywhere (other than bothering ETI) to find out all the areas that can be reinforced (and maybe even why)?

2. 12v wire drops are quite common and seem to be put all over the place depending upon personal preference. Does anyone know how much ETI charges for each one (at this time)?

3. In looking at the build sheet there is no entry for 'AC ready'. Does this include running the wire to the thermostat in addition to power and structure reinforcement? What did it cost someone who had it done?
On my 2017 17B, I have 120V AC wired to the vent for future air. I DO NOT have the control wiring from the thermostat to the vent. So any future air will have to have roof control.

Ask specifically for the cooling control wiring. Better yet, request the digital thermostat option with cooling control prewired.

Paul
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
We know we will want the trailer reinforced in the bath wall and the front dinette (for a Lagun table support). Is there anywhere (other than bothering ETI) to find out all the areas that can be reinforced (and maybe even why)?

How do you envision putting a Lagun mount in the front of a 17B? The front dinette is only a two person dinette with no suitable structure to attach something like that except one of the side benches. Forget any idea of a u setup as the space is way too tight.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Front dinette of 17B and occupants.
Attached Thumbnails
Charly.jpg  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I had the refrig/entry wall reinforced because I wanted to put a handhold there to ease entry and exit. I can’t access my build sheet just now but I’m thinking it was about $100. I was advised that it added some weight so there’s that to think about.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
In looking at the build sheet there is no entry for 'AC ready'. Does this include running the wire to the thermostat in addition to power and structure reinforcement? What did it cost someone who had it done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
On my 2017 17B, I have 120V AC wired to the vent for future air. I DO NOT have the control wiring from the thermostat to the vent. So any future air will have to have roof control.

Ask specifically for the cooling control wiring. Better yet, request the digital thermostat option with cooling control prewired.
All molds can support a rooftop A/C. Here is what I wrote recently regarding “A/C Ready”. It is standard but it doesn’t get you much.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...tml#post290230
Old 05-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Front dinette of 17B and occupants.

gbaglo

Thanks for the photo, appreciate the effort. I really do not have a good concept of how much room there is in a 17B. We have been trying to find one to look at, but ETI says there are none closer than 200 miles. Am still working on it, will even buy dinner!

My concern on the mount is that there seems to be little enough legroom under the table and a Lagun mount would alleviate that somewhat. It had not occurred to me that there might not be room for the Lagun. Could you send me a photo of the underside of the table showing how much room there is, and how intrusive is the stock pedestal mount?

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #9

Really should tidy up first, but I left objects for scale.
Attached Thumbnails
front dinette.jpg  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While it might make it tight for the individual sitting on the passenger side, if I was going to mount a Lagun table mount in the front of a 17B, I'd reinforce the face of the passenger side seat/storage area, add a diagonal support inside the storage area, then mount the Lagun arm as far forward as possible on the passenger side facing of the seat/sgtorage area.

At normal table height, there is a reasonable amount of clearance under the arm. Since I no longer have the 17, I can't be sure I'm not missing something obvious, but other than the limited swing distance to the driver's side, I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #11

Thanks, gbaglo, that really helps. I can see why there may not be a need for a base other than the stock one.

Btw, that area really looks small. Does it really work like a twin bed?
Old 05-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Thanks, gbaglo, that really helps. I can see why there may not be a need for a base other than the stock one.

I use it as a single bed and ordered a mattress for that purpose. It fits snug if that is any help. 75" by 31".

Link: <https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FMYFASA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1>
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:

That is the front dinette in my photo. It's 30" wide. I'd call it a single. I sleep there in comfort when travelling with a buddy ( he gets the rear ). The rear dinette is 52" wide. Both are 77" long.

The 17A has a much larger front bed, but no bath/shower.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #14

Thanks, guys. That also answers my question on whether or not one can maneuver a twin mattress in the door.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #15

Get a 19'.
I would, but I'd have to get a new tow vehicle too.
Two couples can enjoy dinner together or play cards at the front dinette, without messing with making up table or bed.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #16

Larger is always nicer, but comes with disadvantages also. We understand, but are downsizing from a 32' fifthwheel and think the 17 will suit our needs. We just got tired of all the mass of the 32, though we recognize the added 2' would not be that much.

Also, not convinced the added $3500 (US) is worth it to us.