Plans for pickup in Sumas, WA on Memorial Day - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21
Enjoy your trailer we still remember the excitement and fun picking it up.

oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
Your best strategy at Hoh is to arrive as early as possible. If it's still before checkout time and no sites are available at that moment, you may be able to wait for people to leave and get their site. We did this in FL at Pennekamp SP once; there was an actual line of people at 10 am standing & waiting to nab a site; we got in the line and nabbed one, too.

I just checked Ultimate CGs online map and they show a phone number (not sure if for the CG specifically or for the area office), 360-565-3130. You could call before you set out in the morning and see what they say about your chances. That way if it doesn't look favorable you can try to get a site elsewhere; I see some small state CGs about 30 miles west of there.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:48 PM   #23

Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Enjoy your trailer we still remember the excitement and fun picking it up.
Thank you! Very excited indeed!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Your best strategy at Hoh is to arrive as early as possible. If it's still before checkout time and no sites are available at that moment, you may be able to wait for people to leave and get their site. We did this in FL at Pennekamp SP once; there was an actual line of people at 10 am standing & waiting to nab a site; we got in the line and nabbed one, too.

I just checked Ultimate CGs online map and they show a phone number (not sure if for the CG specifically or for the area office), 360-565-3130. You could call before you set out in the morning and see what they say about your chances. That way if it doesn't look favorable you can try to get a site elsewhere; I see some small state CGs about 30 miles west of there.
Thank you Mike! Our previous campground (Kalaloch) is only 39 miles from Hoh. So, unless we get into some difficulty with hitching process - we should be able to get there between 8 and 9 AM, possibly earlier. What we do not know is if there is an orderly process or a free for all…

I have made a list of 6 campgrounds - Federal, State and commercial - that we could try if we strike out. The catch is that the phone service in that area is poor. But, we will find out in the morning - and will, hopefully, be able to make alternate plans if necessary.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B
What' time is your Port Townsend ferry? I'll be camping at Fort Casey and would love to run over and say hi.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:44 PM   #26

Hello Bobbie!

We are booked on the 11:45 PM ferry on Wednesday. Before that, we are staying in Swinomish RV Park on near Anacortes. Would be wonderful to see you....

I am going to post some of the final pictures shortly on the following thread.. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-8031-140.html
Old 05-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Just be safe and do not let tailgaters push you above your comfort level. They will be out in spades on this holiday and rushing beyond reason. Don't let them rattle you. Someday I'll tell a story about my first trip returning from my first Escape Rally and how I allowed tailgaters to push me into driving too fast. I'm lucky nothing happened.

Anyway a happy Memorial Day to all.

Tom
Old 05-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Just be safe and do not let tailgaters push you above your comfort level. They will be out in spades on this holiday and rushing beyond reason. Don't let them rattle you. Someday I'll tell a story about my first trip returning from my first Escape Rally and how I allowed tailgaters to push me into driving too fast. I'm lucky nothing happened.

Anyway a happy Memorial Day to all.

Tom
I agree with the tailgaters I get where I’m going when I get there .if they’re in that big of a hurry they’ll go around. That’s where our rear camera comes into play if the get too close I just slow down a mile or 2 till they go around. Would love to have a sign that u could pop up saying “ go around idiot go around “

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #29

Trailer: Undetermined
With sincere apologies to kavm and others following the important content of this thread, I'm going to point to the lyrics of the song "beep beep" which David's comment reminded me of. Perhaps we can imagine the Nash is an Escape 5.0 towed by a hybrid F-150. Enjoy the holiday! https://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/t...beep_beep.html
Old 05-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #30

Tom, David and Steve - Thank you so much for that advice. I was just having this conversation with my wife last evening! Generally speaking, I am a less susceptible to pressure from other drivers than my wife. So, I hope to be OK but it is definitely a consideration.

We are just getting comfortable driving the big F150 and now more than doubling it in length with Escape 5. The traffic going towards Seattle on Memorial Day and later on in the week will be heavy, but may be it will help getting used to driving it. I remember that the first time I got comfortable driving in Italy (generally characterized by very aggressive but skillful driving) was when I successfully tackled driving in Florence rush hour! This is a different situation but…

After driving on route 9 yesterday, we are now leaning towards getting on I-5 going South towards Anacortes. Taking note of advice from Craig (including observations of the Meridian on ramp in view of Craig’s comment) and with the Memorial-Day traffic - I decided that I will enter I-5 North of Bellingham.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #31

Trailer: Undetermined
And for those too young to know the reference to "Go around, idiot, go around", here's a youtube of that hilarious Bill Cosby bit from a long, long, long time ago. Thank you for the memories David. I listened to that entire album many times in my teens (Noah - whoompah whoompah).
Old 05-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Darn it! We are going to miss you in Jedediah Smith by two days. Then we go up to Coo's Bay on Sunset Beach campground, then wine tasting.

Plenty of hiking in Jed. Plus the Smith river is something to see. If you need recommendations for hiking, this site is a gem.

Redwood Hikes

Have a great trip Kavm. As I write this, you are but a few hours from pickup!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Tom, David and Steve - Thank you so much for that advice. I was just having this conversation with my wife last evening! Generally speaking, I am a less susceptible to pressure from other drivers than my wife. So, I hope to be OK but it is definitely a consideration.

We are just getting comfortable driving the big F150 and now more than doubling it in length with Escape 5. The traffic going towards Seattle on Memorial Day and later on in the week will be heavy, but may be it will help getting used to driving it. I remember that the first time I got comfortable driving in Italy (generally characterized by very aggressive but skillful driving) was when I successfully tackled driving in Florence rush hour! This is a different situation but…

After driving on route 9 yesterday, we are now leaning towards getting on I-5 going South towards Anacortes. Taking note of advice from Craig (including observations of the Meridian on ramp in view of Craig’s comment) and with the Memorial-Day traffic - I decided that I will enter I-5 North of Bellingham.
Since people can't go to Canada I don't think 5 will be bad between Bellingham and Burlington.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Darn it! We are going to miss you in Jedediah Smith by two days. Then we go up to Coo's Bay on Sunset Beach campground, then wine tasting.

Plenty of hiking in Jed. Plus the Smith river is something to see. If you need recommendations for hiking, this site is a gem.

Redwood Hikes

Have a great trip Kavm. As I write this, you are but a few hours from pickup!
Thank you! Indeed - we will sitting in the Bob’s Burger parking lot in 24 hours with eyes peeled…

Too bad we will miss meeting you! We are definitely looking forward to Jedediah Smith. Seems like a wonderful place.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
And for those too young to know the reference to "Go around, idiot, go around", here's a youtube of that hilarious Bill Cosby bit from a long, long, long time ago. Thank you for the memories David. I listened to that entire album many times in my teens (Noah - whoompah whoompah).
Exactly Steve

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #36

Trailer: 8-2022 #19
Once you get on to the five freeway you will have no problems. It's a little tight going through Bellingham actually great training. it's only tight for about 5 miles, and it's a nice divided road that connects the five to Anacortes. Take it easy take it slow, you'll have a wonderful time. There is in Anacortes on the main street going downtown a really good doughnut shop I highly recommend it. As you can tell I travel on my stomach craig
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
Once you get on to the five freeway you will have no problems. It's a little tight going through Bellingham actually great training. it's only tight for about 5 miles, and it's a nice divided road that connects the five to Anacortes. Take it easy take it slow, you'll have a wonderful time. There is in Anacortes on the main street going downtown a really good doughnut shop I highly recommend it. As you can tell I travel on my stomach craig
Thank you! That’s what I am planning. Get on I-5 before Bellingham and reduce the stress about that.

As a foodie, you will be pleased to know that we enjoyed Ballard’s ice cream here in Bellingham today. We are really impressed with the food scene in Bellingham…
Old 06-01-2021, 12:25 AM   #38

A quick update -
  • The delivery at Sumas went well. We were there good half an hour ahead of the appointed time. The driver from Escape was nice and helped us hook up.
  • We spent another 45 minutes in Bob's parking lot - practicing backing the trailer. It was quite frustrating but we made some progress as well. Nowhere near satisfactory but understand the magnitude of the challenge. The plan is to hook up again tomorrow to give it a second shot.
  • The drive from there to the campground was not particularly stressful. We did have a couple of minor but harmless incidents:
    • An unsecured empty water cannister fell off the back of the truck as we were driving. My wife said to drive on but that's not my style. So, I turned around and went back. We found the water canister and secured and made another u-turn back at Bob's Burger. No harm done.
    • Missed a turn off. Again, went into an empty lot and turned around. Aside from those, the entry into I-5 (North of Ferndale/Birch Bay) went very smoothly. The drive on the country roads as well as the interstate felt comfortable all the way. So, I wasn't terribly stressed by it, besides the challenges of backing the trailer.
  • The campground is fantastic. I'd highly recommend it to anyone picking up in Sumas. About 60 miles but on the water, just off 20 West. Far enough away that we have some confidence, but not too far. We have a very nice campsite - pull thru. A couple of neighbors came to help us unhook and connect up. It speeded things up.
  • The main challenge was in water hookups. The pressure reducer valve from Escape was of poor quality - and I need to buy a replacement tomorrow. There were other connections that leaked - but a neighbor helped me tighten them. The leaks are smaller now.
  • Really like the Lagun table, Dickinson Marine cooktop and the compressor fridge (RFU 9000).
  • We used electric water heater (outside switch) to heat the water for dishes in the evening. Propane likely works too but want to check these out one at a time.
  • Even had a panic call with Ed but by the time I spoke to him, the panic was over as one neighbor had helped me out.
  • We don't know what to look for but the build quality seems good to our uneducated eye.
Questions -
  • I had not bought Robertson screwdriver or a full set of screwdrivers as I was told by Escape that a multi-set screwdriver is included as a gift. That did not materialize. So, I will be buying one tomorrow. Any recommendation what all sizes and shapes it should cover would be appreciated.
  • We are not totally clear what is happening with the battery. I have electric hookups, so not much to do there. But, where one looks at how much charge is in the battery, how much is being used, how much is being replenished are not clear. Any pointers would be helpful.
Overall, we are both very happy with the first day of introduction to our Escape. Many thanks to everyone here - as I got very good education from your comments and even more confidence that all of you have my back. That goes a long way!
Old 06-01-2021, 12:38 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
A quick update -...Questions -
  • I had not bought Robertson screwdriver or a full set of screwdrivers as I was told by Escape that a multi-set screwdriver is included as a gift. That did not materialize. So, I will be buying one tomorrow. Any recommendation what all sizes and shapes it should cover would be appreciated...!
We have found that a #2 Robertson fits many if not all of the screws. We bought a 5-pack of Robertson #2 bits, that fit our screwdriver, and cordless drill hex bit holder. After almost 6 years, we still have 2 left.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 8-2022 #19
Smile Hardware needs

Too bad we didn't talk and you didn't know you needed it. Back in Bellingham is a place called hardware sales. It's kind of hard to describe is like a Home Depot but about one quarter the size with twice the amount Home Depot carries. Small aisles but the strangest thing of all numerous employees that actually know what they're doing. If I remember correctly Anacortes has hardware stores. They probably have the items you need, I'm assuming the road you took was the Birch Bay Linden Highway probably not Smith Road. But you did get to see the raspberry farms. Two years ago my wife and I picked 32 pounds of raspberries one day at a you picking Farm, and then froze it all. Have a great time, you've earned it.

Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote

« What's in a name? | - »