Plans for pickup in Sumas, WA on Memorial Day - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
Posts: 582
Backing up is a matter of experience. You'll gain experience in time, I assure you, if you continue to use your trailer. I would advise letting go of the math while hiking so you can immerse yourself in the wonderful sights, smells, and other sensations of the forest. (Also to avoid tripping.) Perhaps when you get home you can buy a scale model or build a mock-up of a 5th wheel rig, manipulate and observe, take measurements of angles, etc.


The thread cleanup was good. My sense of humor was a bit off, and I never was much of a hand with Photoshop anyway...
__________________

__________________
Losing weight puts one at much greater risk of becoming thin.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
Perryb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
For me, any display would be better at eye level.
On our build we asked for the GoPower controller NOT to be cut into the dinette bench, and zip-tied to the inside of the bench. For the first few months we just used a 12 plug-in voltage meter. It worked just fine.

However, after a battery failure we installed a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. I located the monitor at eye level on the passenger side in the upper dinette cabinet next the stovetop.



I used Velcro to attach the shunt to the top of the battery box. It hasn't moved in over 30,000 miles, but is easily moved to look at the batteries.

Last summer our GoPower controller was replaced by a Victron 100/30 smart controller, and we have a Victron 100/20 smart controller for our emergency portable 100 watt panel.

Since I mainly use Victron's phone app to read the BMV-712 I should have just purchased their Victron's Smart Shunt. We can read our Victron controllers and BMV-712 while driving down the road, if needed.

Our GoPower controller was replaced by a Victron 100/30 smart controller, and we have a Victron 100/20 smart controller for our emergency portable 100 watt panel.

Enjoy,

Perry
__________________

__________________
Those who know everything use pens. Intelligent people use pencils.
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
Perryb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
[*]My wife and I made plans for an easier hitch up process with Andersen hitch. I will share if they prove helpful.
Do either of you crochet? Been using my wife's "Ball Cozy" to hook up after we purchased our quad cab F150 and I could no longer see the top of the ball. It works great!

Enjoy,

Perry
__________________
Those who know everything use pens. Intelligent people use pencils.
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #84
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central valley, California
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Posts: 14
You might know this, but there is an App for the Go-power inverter. Very convenient to see all the info on your phone and you can turn the inverter on/off from it.
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #85
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Everett, Washington
Trailer: Shopping
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Do either of you crochet? Been using my wife's "Ball Cozy" to hook up after we purchased our quad cab F150 and I could no longer see the top of the ball. It works great!

Enjoy,

Perry
That ball cozy is brilliant! Escape could include them with the 5.0. could have a little Escape logo crocheted on the side!
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Backing up is a matter of experience. You'll gain experience in time, I assure you, if you continue to use your trailer. I would advise letting go of the math while hiking so you can immerse yourself in the wonderful sights, smells, and other sensations of the forest. (Also to avoid tripping.) Perhaps when you get home you can buy a scale model or build a mock-up of a 5th wheel rig, manipulate and observe, take measurements of angles, etc.


The thread cleanup was good. My sense of humor was a bit off, and I never was much of a hand with Photoshop anyway...
You are, of course, right. It is more reflective of the fact that backing in is the most significant challenge we have. The rest of the things are working out nicely,.

I did manage to back into a slot 90 degrees from the road. It wasnít smooth or pretty but we are in a back in site. Not sure how much confidence it buys me but practice nonetheless. There are now more variables in the differential equation but more strategies too!

Nothing wrong with your sense of humor. That said, I welcome the clean up as well.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Do either of you crochet? Been using my wife's "Ball Cozy" to hook up after we purchased our quad cab F150 and I could no longer see the top of the ball. It works great!

Enjoy,

Perry
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it on my wife and she wasnít amused 😀

I will look for different ideas. To be honest, aligning the Andersen ball and coupler has not proven all that difficult. So my thoughts are focused on backing in. If and when I get comfortable with that, the stress involved with Handling Escape will go down by a lot. Given the size, it will retain a certain level of stress for a long time but thatís normal.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B
Posts: 2,020
I like the ball cozy but I just need something to make them visible in the truck's backup camera. Thinking a sock over the ball itself and maybe a reflective dot on the top of the coupler.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinfrey View Post
You might know this, but there is an App for the Go-power inverter. Very convenient to see all the info on your phone and you can turn the inverter on/off from it.
Thank you very much! I do have the app. It works well. I have not experimented with it. Interested in seeing if one can turn the inverter on and off from it. But have no need for the inverter, so it will have to wait.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
As we see and experience these wonderful things (drive on 101, Hoh rainforest, Pacific Ocean off the coast of Washington and so on, it affirms our decision to acquire our Escape. In the recent months, there was some doubt creeping in as we came to terms with the size of the undertaking and the learning curve. It has taken just 3-4 days to remove them.
Glad to hear things are progressing smoothly! Many said you would shake the jitters quickly and would be teaching others soon. Seems like that is already starting but weíve got your back if you need us.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
ďOne way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.Ē― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
azjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ, Arizona
Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 in the carport
Posts: 709
backing up the 5.0

Our Son says to not blind side back if we can avoid it. That helps, but instead of me stepping in and out of the Ram, I'll have Nancy drive and I direct her. When we had to back rear engine cars onto a trailer, she would drive and I would direct, worked well.
AZjack
azjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Glad to hear things are progressing smoothly! Many said you would shake the jitters quickly and would be teaching others soon. Seems like that is already starting but weíve got your back if you need us.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the support and backing. It goes a very long way!

Things are indeed starting to ease up a little bit. We had to switch sites.could have avoided it but chose not to. It allowed us to use the dump and fill in fresh water. One more back in, still stressful but less so. More revisions to the strategy and more practice.

Only two things are off:

1. The SeeLevel II, a new and improved option, is looking like a dud. The Fresh water indicator has never worked. Donít think it was ever tested at ETI. Also, after emptying the gray water tank, by dumping from a level camper, the tank shows 17% full. I donít know if it is a poor system, poor installation, specific problem with our unit or our expectation. Sent email to ETI on Friday but have not heard back. Will try to call on Monday.

2. This is our own fault- we donít remember the code for the lock. We think we do but it doesnít seem to work. There is no documentation about the key pad. But, this is just the matter of finding out the right information.

Other than that, things are going well. The Pacific Beach state park campground is nice and relaxing. The internet access is almost nonexistent, but thatís not the end of the world. We spent some time in the Griffiths-Priday ocean state park near Copalis beach. Magnificent! Highly recommended!

Tomorrow we head to Cannon beach!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the support and backing. It goes a very long way!

Things are indeed starting to ease up a little bit. We had to switch sites.could have avoided it but chose not to. It allowed us to use the dump and fill in fresh water. One more back in, still stressful but less so. More revisions to the strategy and more practice.

Only two things are off:

1. The SeeLevel II, a new and improved option, is looking like a dud. The Fresh water indicator has never worked. Donít think it was ever tested at ETI. Also, after emptying the gray water tank, by dumping from a level camper, the tank shows 17% full. I donít know if it is a poor system, poor installation, specific problem with our unit or our expectation. Sent email to ETI on Friday but have not heard back. Will try to call on Monday.

2. This is our own fault- we donít remember the code for the lock. We think we do but it doesnít seem to work. There is no documentation about the key pad. But, this is just the matter of finding out the right information.

Other than that, things are going well. The Pacific Beach state park campground is nice and relaxing. The internet access is almost nonexistent, but thatís not the end of the world. We spent some time in the Griffiths-Priday ocean state park near Copalis beach. Magnificent! Highly recommended!

Tomorrow we head to Cannon beach!
I've got the Keypad manual. I'll see if I can find it and copy the page you need to reset the code.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Thank you very much Bobbie! We got the information you sent. We will try it out when we get back.

We have been enjoying the oyehut wild life refuge and area around that in ocean shores. Beautiful!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #95
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Mount Vernon, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you very much Bobbie! We got the information you sent. We will try it out when we get back.

We have been enjoying the oyehut wild life refuge and area around that in ocean shores. Beautiful!
You are just around the corner from where my wife and I are staying at Snugglers Cove.
Our son got us a long weekend here as a gift.

We just bought a used 15 B little over a week ago. We are out and about today we will keep a eye for you.
If you see two oldies waving in a White Nissan Rouge with a Ghost decal in back window that’s us.

Good luck with your new Escape.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you very much Bobbie! We got the information you sent. We will try it out when we get back.

We have been enjoying the oyehut wild life refuge and area around that in ocean shores. Beautiful!
Hello Bobbie!

Many thanks for that. The factory default combination worked for us. We weren’t able to change it but did not try very hard. In any case, since it only locks the door (and does not unlock it), there doesn’t seem to be much urgency to change the code…

PS: Progress! We were able to set the new code! Now, we can lock and unlock with our code.

This problem is now resolved, thank to you!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
You are just around the corner from where my wife and I are staying at Snugglers Cove.
Our son got us a long weekend here as a gift.

We just bought a used 15 B little over a week ago. We are out and about today we will keep a eye for you.
If you see two oldies waving in a White Nissan Rouge with a Ghost decal in back window thatís us.

Good luck with your new Escape.
I looked up Smugglerís Cove, WA. It seems to be in Whidbey Island. Looks like we missed you!

We are now much further along. Just reached Cannon Beach, OR today. The plan is to stay here for 2 nights and then head to Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Latest Update:
  • A lot of rain last night and all day so far today. We had to hitch up in pouring rain, but not a big problem. Made us appreciate how much nicer staying in a camper is in bad weather compared with tent.
  • We drove from the Pacific Beach State Park to the Cannon Beach RV Resort. We chose a commercial campground for better WiFi (as I have a couple of conference calls tomorrow) and laundry, etc. Decent campground, and we have a site away from the road. Very quiet. The WIFI seems good as well.
  • The drive was uneventful. The stress while driving forward is down a lot. The 101 bridge from WA to OR near Astoria is beautiful. I am glad I wasn’t trying to do it on Day 1 of driving.
  • The same cannot be said of backing in, but we made into another spot somehow. We are now fairly comfortable with the systems of the camper. Still have issues with SeeLevel II. We hope that Escape will respond to our email sent on Friday. If not, we will call them.
  • A couple of Escape sightings - An Escape 5.0 was traveling in the opposite direction on 101 as we were heading towards Oregon. A couple of days back, an Escape 21 was pulling into Kalaloch when we are exiting. Neither situation allowed the possibility of saying hello.

A couple of basic questions:
  • Does one apply the X-Chocks (we are using One-Step chocks as a replacement) before you unhitch or after? Conversely, does one remove them before hitching or after? We are clear about the application chocks (before unhitching and after hitching) but not the x-chock/one-step chocks. [PS: We ended up opting for One-Step chocks, as suggested by Tom, among others. They work very well and are convenient.]
  • Which of the roof vents are OK to be open while raining (or with a possibility of rain):
    • Max fan vent - This is the main possibility that we want to check. Also, if OK, can max fan itself be on when raining?
    • Bathroom vent - Also, whether it is OK for the fan to be on.
    • Roof vent near the stove / wash basin. Likely not.
    • Over the bed. The answer here is no, as we found out when it rained while we were asleep. Including it here in case someone else reads it later.
Many thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
UncleTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Posts: 1,127
I only tighten the x-chocks when I have leveled out the trailer and there is no more movement expected. This way they do not rub the tires or cause strain on the tire.

They are the first to be taken off.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: Plan: 2021 May - E5.0
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I only tighten the x-chocks when I have leveled out the trailer and there is no more movement expected. This way they do not rub the tires or cause strain on the tire.

They are the first to be taken off.
Thank you very much, UncleTim! This clears up one confusion!

Hope you are enjoying your time in Jedediah Smith Redwood SP! We are headed there on Tuesday!
__________________

kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« What's in a name? | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×