Please confirm these photos of windows - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
Please confirm these photos of windows

I have attached pics of the new awning windows. The rear side ones open quite wide. The others don't appear to open as far. Can anyone confirm that all of them open as wide as the rear side ones do as shown in the pics? These pics were lifted right from ETI's site under the 19". I don't know if I uploaded them correctly because I can't seem to enlarge them from the post. Thanks
Attached Images

Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Dan,
I have sliders so can't help you there, but I recall folks saying the new awning windows open 3 1/2" at the base. Someone should come on with more detail soon.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Dan,
I have sliders so can't help you there, but I recall folks saying the new awning windows open 3 1/2" at the base. Someone should come on with more detail soon.
I thought so too, but in one of the pics I posted, the left rear window is clearly open more then that. Maybe 5-7". Thanks for your input.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I thought so too, but in one of the pics I posted, the left rear window is clearly open more then that. Maybe 5-7". Thanks for your input.
That's the emergency exit window. Not the same as the others. They have it propped open for the photos.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Site Team

By the way, although the window style is frameless instead of framed like before, the emergency exit window provides great ventilation when propped open. Modify it though by drilling a small hole in the handle bracket and using a pin. Otherwise it can come loose and slam shut with some force, and the pointy handle along with it.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Modify it though by drilling a small hole in the handle bracket and using a pin. Otherwise it can come loose and slam shut with some force, and the pointy handle along with it.
I too have been wanting to drill that hole, Robert, but was unsure how the bracket would accept drilling. I would like a second hole, also, to prop the window 1/4" for night ventilation. So, you had no problems with drilling the small hole?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
I too have been wanting to drill that hole, Robert, but was unsure how the bracket would accept drilling. I would like a second hole, also, to prop the window 1/4" for night ventilation. So, you had no problems with drilling the small hole?
No, it works fine Steve. Just used a tiny bit and drilled slow, used a keychain pin so it can be easily pulled. Pretty much what others have done. If you want to put another hole or two along the aluminum handle itself, that will allow you to pin it in various amounts of open.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
No, it works fine Steve. Just used a tiny bit and drilled slow, used a keychain pin so it can be easily pulled. Pretty much what others have done. If you want to put another hole or two along the aluminum handle itself, that will allow you to pin it in various amounts of open.
Great, Robert! Thanks!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Quote:
Steve: This was just recently discussed here
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/emergency-escape-window-operation-10680-2.html#post205837
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Alternative to drilling

We were told at orientation to open the window to whatever the desired distance was and then to push a half of a wood clothes pin under the escape handle. Since the clothes pin slopes up from narrow to thick, it would effectively hold the window open without risk of slamming shut. It works. And no handle needs to be harmed in the process. Yes, I'm a member of PETE...(People for the Ethical Treatment of Escapes)
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
We were told at orientation to open the window to whatever the desired distance was and then to push a half of a wood clothes pin under the escape handle. Since the clothes pin slopes up from narrow to thick, it would effectively hold the window open without risk of slamming shut. It works. And no handle needs to be harmed in the process. Yes, I'm a member of PETE...(People for the Ethical Treatment of Escapes)
Nathan drilling for a pin is positive to hold that window . It is a heavy window and clothes pins come apart and break . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Nathan drilling for a pin is positive to hold that window . It is a heavy window and clothes pins come apart and break . Pat
I completely agree...that's why I carry spare clothes pins. (not really)
Old 07-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #13

Trailer: None now
I'll lead back to the original question.
Here are a few pictures from our 2017 19 with the new style windows.
I did the right side dinette inside with the screen in place which shows the view out. The nice thing is during the day no one can see inside.
The others are the same window from outside, then the kitchen and the bed area. I did not do the back but the two sides of it both open to 3 1/2 inches same as the side one for the bed area. And the other bed window of course can open way up if needed for escape.
Attached Thumbnails
view dinette.jpg   dinete.jpg   kitchen.jpg   bed.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
That window will cost some bucks if it slams and breaks . Why take a chance ? Pat
Old 07-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Here you go:
Lifetime Clothespins - Lee Valley Tools
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.49.32 PM.png  
Old 07-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That window will cost some bucks if it slams and breaks . Why take a chance ? Pat
We actually don't use the window much. Usually closed with the AC running at max. I was merely relaying what we were told at orientation, and have used the method with success. They even had a half of a clothes pin in the drawer. However, like with a lot of things they have had to change recently, maybe this is one of those things they no longer endorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I like the way you think!!
Old 07-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
I drilled one hole for all the way open and two others at 1/3 and 2/3 open. I use an underlayment nail as it is thin and has a sharp point which helps find the small hole. This should have no effect on the metal or the plastic as it is a small hole...maybe 3/32 in or less. Remove the screen and drill through the grey plastic bracket and then the slide piece and you will be good.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I drilled one hole for all the way open and two others at 1/3 and 2/3 open. I use an underlayment nail as it is thin and has a sharp point which helps find the small hole. This should have no effect on the metal or the plastic as it is a small hole...maybe 3/32 in or less. Remove the screen and drill through the grey plastic bracket and then the slide piece and you will be good.
Very easy mod and makes sense . Ours has been about 3 years . If didn't need AC , it sure opens up and you get a nice breeze . Good for you Pat
Old 07-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Remove the screen and drill through the grey plastic bracket and then the slide piece and you will be good.
Exactly what I did. Great minds....lol[emoji1]

And no Escape was harmed during filming of this episode.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I'll lead back to the original question.
Here are a few pictures from our 2017 19 with the new style windows.
I did the right side dinette inside with the screen in place which shows the view out. The nice thing is during the day no one can see inside.
The others are the same window from outside, then the kitchen and the bed area. I did not do the back but the two sides of it both open to 3 1/2 inches same as the side one for the bed area. And the other bed window of course can open way up if needed for escape.
wetzk, Wow, I couldn't ask for more than that! Thank you so much. in your opinion, do you get plenty of 'sort of' in your face airflow when you want it? Looks like a single knob controls opening and closing of windows, correct? Again, thank you.