Poll: Spray foam on the bottom of ETI built trailers - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Poll Results: Do you have ETI supplied spray foam on your current trailer or one being built?
Yes, it does 125 71.43%
No, it does not 45 25.71%
Yes, but I wish it did not 0 0%
No, but I wish it did 5 2.86%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Speaking of Dairy Queen, and showing your age... I remember the widespread public anger and indignation when Dairy Queen announced they were eliminating the butter fat content in their ice cream. That was serious.
No kidding! I had a co-worker that got really angry. In truth, the recipe never changed, it was just re-categorized due to FDA requirements. My co-worker burned up a bunch of adrenaline for nothing.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #62

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I just remembered one other, more obscure, reason to favor the foam: it blocks light and will reduce algae growth in fresh tank if you leave it stagnant in there for an extended time. How did I learn about this, you ask? Let’s just say that a few years ago we bought our first Escape used, and it had not been properly taken care of, ergo super grody science experiment out of the faucets.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #63

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I figured out whey the foam people are winning...the non foam people are just to cool to vote.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #64

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I figured out whey the foam people are winning...the non foam people are just to cool to vote.
Hmmm. yea, that's why.

Just looking through the tread, many of the non-foam folks are from New Mexico, Texas and Arizona. Whereas many of the foam folk are from the northern states or Canada. There are exceptions in both groups of course.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
To “cool” to vote...no foam...cold...
O well, I tried.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
no foam chosen here...I too like the idea of being able to inspect frame parts etc...having said this,I did have to have to sheath the black plumbing pipe that is hanging down and exposed with heavy rubber hose with wire ties to protect further damage from gravel strikes that it was getting...fgun/Wrangell,Alaska...wish I was heading for southwest and q-rally...have to pickup new tow vehicle...2007 1500 dodge ram starting having too many issues for long hauls...stay warm or cool...as needed ...but especially classy
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe too hot to care...........
Old 01-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #68

Trailer: 2018 21
Spray foam poll

Yes I have the spray foam
stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #69

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Smile Foam is a good thing

When leaving Great Basin Nat'l Park in early October, 2012, it was in the 20's, and I kept wondering what kind of a chill factor driving at 60 mph would due to the tanks, etc underneath. When Escape started offering the spray on foam for the trailer underside, we took our Escape 15 back to the factory, and had them put on the foam while we went backpacking in the Mt. Baker Wilderness. It is really nice to have it on there.
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #70

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
...we have foam and also heating pads that I think are on a thermostat...
Islanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajenkins View Post
When leaving Great Basin Nat'l Park in early October, 2012, it was in the 20's, and I kept wondering what kind of a chill factor driving at 60 mph would due to the tanks, etc underneath. When Escape started offering the spray on foam for the trailer underside, we took our Escape 15 back to the factory, and had them put on the foam while we went backpacking in the Mt. Baker Wilderness. It is really nice to have it on there.
Fortunately, wind chill only affects humans and animals. Although it is hard on plants in severe weather conditions. Inanimate objects only chill to the ambient temperature.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #72

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2015
I like having the spray foam and thermopane windows for both cold and sound insulation. The sound is easier to notice and I'm always amazed that I can play music inside fairly loud and hardly hear a thing right outside. I also had to grin when I saw a Youtube video about how to deal with cold temps. The owner had one of those fancy aluminum trailers and was showing ways to insulate the non-thermopane windows which let in a lot of cold. Glad Escape has the option.
wolfnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Of course, foam!
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfnjan View Post
I like having the spray foam and thermopane windows for both cold and sound insulation. The sound is easier to notice and I'm always amazed that I can play music inside fairly loud and hardly hear a thing right outside. .
And so is born an Urban Legend.

I don't know when the first comment was made that ETI spray insulation made the floor both warmer and the trailer quieter. But now it's a standard comment.

Maybe because I used to design sound shielding for some pretty fussy people and have a tiny bit of knowledge on the topic but I'm just a bit skeptical.

I'm skeptical largely because I believe credit is being given to the wrong item. Two variables were changed more or less at the same time, double glazing and foam. I went from a single glazed Scamp to a double glazed Escape without spray foam. I noticed how quiet it was when there were noises that you hear with the window cracked open compared to it being closed.

So...at Q'site we're already going to measure the difference in floor temperatures between a foamed and non-foam floor.

I propose that we also measure dB levels in a trailer with and without spray foam. Lets either confirm the acoustic benefits of spray foam or put an Urban Legend to bed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:12 PM   #75

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

So...at Q'site we're already going to measure the difference in floor temperatures between a foamed and non-foam floor.

I propose that we also measure dB levels in a trailer with and without spray foam. Lets either confirm the acoustic benefits of spray foam or put an Urban Legend to bed.

Ron
Looking forward to those results, Ron, as I am considering whether to add the foam when I order a trailer.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #76

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Any results on the test yet as it is pretty cool at Q right now?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #77

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Hey I like that urban legend! You really should not try to confuse the issue with facts!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #78

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Results from QSite testing?

Hey y'all... did you ever do the testing at Quartzsite? Any results?

We're considering going from our 19 to a 21 and are wondering about the foam insulation.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #79

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hey y'all... did you ever do the testing at Quartzsite? Any results?

We're considering going from our 19 to a 21 and are wondering about the foam insulation.
Unfortunately there just wasn't enough time . Greg was very busy doing things with the ralley . I didn't see him stop . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #80

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfnjan View Post
I like having the spray foam and thermopane windows for both cold and sound insulation. The sound is easier to notice and I'm always amazed that I can play music inside fairly loud and hardly hear a thing right outside.
If you can hardly hear a thing right outside it might be because you are playing the music too loud.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote