Pop up canopies.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 17 B ESCAPE
Pop up canopies....

I will be purchasing a pop up canopy soon. The size will be the standard 10 x 10. There are so many from various manufactures it makes the choice difficult. This is what I would like. It must be constructed with heavy duty material and the four corner legs must be able to withstand the ability to perform well in wind and rain. I will also be ordering the four side walls. I prefer the velcro attachment system. This might fall into the commercial catagory. I don't mind the extra weight. Looking for reviews on top quality units. In advance, I appreciate all replies
nomade do vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have a Caravan. I put lots of expensive audio gear under it. I have a top of line model and all steel, not aluminum. It’s somewhat difficult to set up with one but doable, and easy with two. I have 5 gallon water jugs hanging at the corners if it’s windy. I felt it was slightly tougher than EZE Up when I purchased several years ago. I have had to replace some of the spring locking pins. The bag is not very good. I trust 1000’s of dollars of gear under it, and would purchase again. It’s not perfect, but goes up pretty fast which is important in throw and go type of one off events. It’s been in some pretty heavy winds and done well where cheap models of various makes have bent and blown away.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade do vento View Post
I will be purchasing a pop up canopy soon. The size will be the standard 10 x 10. There are so many from various manufactures it makes the choice difficult. This is what I would like. It must be constructed with heavy duty material and the four corner legs must be able to withstand the ability to perform well in wind and rain. I will also be ordering the four side walls. I prefer the velcro attachment system. This might fall into the commercial catagory. I don't mind the extra weight. Looking for reviews on top quality units. In advance, I appreciate all replies
I've yet to see a pop up that meets those specs. We had a spring crafts fair at my college and one year a wind storm hit it- all those commercial canopies were blown, twisted, and wrecked. (To be fair-so were some nearby trees.) Even semi-permanent structures come down in strong winds.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #4

Wind can destroy any structure. What I have has worked better than most of it’s kind. I’m waiting on an Escape because wind destroyed my Bigfoot and Rockwood RV’s last May.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Wind can destroy any structure. What I have has worked better than most of it’s kind. I’m waiting on an Escape because wind destroyed my Bigfoot and Rockwood RV’s last May.
I am assuming tree damage........?
Old 04-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FWIW the EZup brand, the steel versions with vertical (as opposed to sloped) legs, are the overwhelming favorite in the paddock of 'my' motorcycle racing club events where literally hundreds of 10x10 canopies are in evidence.

Yep, water-filled 5-gallon buckets at the corners are de rigueur, and yep even with that there's limits that dictate prudent response - when really-big winds are forecast folks either dismantle and move to other cover or suffer the indignity of watching their canopies go airborne/askew with destructive consequence. I don't recall anyone suffering any damage as a result of even extreme rainfall absent the overpowering wind.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #7

Not trees, building. Even small tornadoes are pretty powerful.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We have an E-Z Up brand 10x10 that we've had for many years. We have taken it camping, where it has survived rain, and wind events to 30+ mph, and was used over a friend's tent to shield them from a 3 inch/one night rain event.

It also has fire retardant fabric (meets CPAI-84 req.) which satisfies Model Fire Code requirements (just in case you use it at a gathering or event that requires permitting by a Fire AHJ).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote