Portable Ice Maker - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Got my own ice-maker right now. I left a water bottle in my truck last night and this morning it was a solid block of ice! Of course it was only about -16°C last night. When it starts to get cold this winter, the effectiveness of my ice-maker will be even better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Dave do you own one of those little ice makers or your talking about the freezer on refrigerator? Pat
LOL. Pat, I do not actually own any icemakers (other than that on my refrigerator. I was talking about the great outdoors being an icemaker at the moment. And it doesn't cost anything to use it to make ice! Just got back from lunch a few minutes ago and was -15°C outside.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
LOL. Pat, I do not actually own any icemakers (other than that on my refrigerator. I was talking about the great outdoors being an icemaker at the moment. And it doesn't cost anything to use it to make ice! Just got back from lunch a few minutes ago and was -15°C outside.
Brrr that’s cold Dave ! We are 69 F right now . We are out of our drought though because we finally have been getting rain ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 5.0
I had very good luck making ice in our 5.0 freezer with 2 ice cube trays on a 3 month tour of the southwest.
JumpinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find that when I need to go in town for ice, I also need more beer......
Old 12-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
We have been carrying an ice maker for several years. It works well and produces plenty of ice. We bought it because it was red. Because they all look so similar, my theory is all portable ice makers are made by the same factory in China and they just put different name plates on them.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #26

Trailer: current 13' Scamp 1985
ice maker

We live in central Texas, so an ice maker is pretty nearly necessary. We have an Avalon Bay portable ice maker that produces more than 23 lbs. of ice/day. Bought it on Amazon for about $80, including shipping. Use it every time we go camping, bring it in to supplement the ice maker built into our house refer whenever we have a party. Works great!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #27

Trailer: 2008 Jayco- Jayflight 287BHBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
Need recommendations on a portable ice maker. Have always carried a cooler for our ice and drinks. Ready to make a change. Thanks
I bought a small Igloo portable icemaker at Walmart for right at $100. That little thing makes a load of ice every 8 minutes and is sufficient for the 3 of us to actually gain on the ice even in the hottest of summers down South here in SE Louisiana. I have seen these in Sam's Club as well.

Good Camping ....... Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Go to know the little ice makers do work good ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I went to Trader Joe’s one very hot day a couple years ago. I have a nice Zippered insulated Vera Bradley bag that I usually use to keep things cool. That day I bought some chicken, other fresh meat and a few other perishables. When checking out I asked the clerk where their ice machine was located so I could get a bag. No ice machine but we sell frozen bottles of water. How much are they. 16 cents apiece. I bought 6. They were frozen hard like a rock. I loaded up my perishables in the bag. It was 40 miles to home. The bottles were still rock hard and my stuff was real cold. I took the bottles in a cooler with us on the next outing and as they melted and had a small piece of ice left in them I had a refreshing drink of water. Best deal I’ve received in a grocery store in quite a while. I do not use ice when I drink. I like my whiskey room temperature and straight up. But I do like cold beer.
Iowa Dave