Portable Ice Maker - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006
Portable Ice Maker

Need recommendations on a portable ice maker. Have always carried a cooler for our ice and drinks. Ready to make a change. Thanks
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Drive about 1500 miles north and throw a bucket of water into the air to make ice........
We always carry a 5 lb bag of ice on 2 weeks trip and always have some ice when returning home. The freeze can carry 2 bags if needed. Not sure what Escape model you have nor size of refrigerator.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We got an Emerson or something similar that was a Target deal about 10 years ago when we had our Scamp 13. I think it is about $90 and it is still going strong, We don’t take it trailering much anymore, but it is in use on our rear patio.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
Need recommendations on a portable ice maker. Have always carried a cooler for our ice and drinks. Ready to make a change. Thanks
We also always bring a cooler along . Have been looking at a portable ice maker . Hmm Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Yep, bought one on the way home from the desert (!) Some where in Oregon, Anderson WalMart.$ 99 US.Went to our local Costco here in Vancouver last week and they had the same brand for $ 99 Canadian.Works like a charm, building up a supply ahead of time.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Always bring a cooler anyway, one of those Extremes that will hold the cold longer.Igloo or Coleman.Also have that grizzly proof (!) roto molded Igloo Sportsman for Canadian wilderness trips.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Having an ice maker from our Scamp days I can make some informed, at least from my perspective, comments on this subject.
  • Don't expect to have ice that is as hard as what you get at home, it just doesn't work that way.
  • Don't expect the ice to last as long as what you get at home, see above.
  • The more ice making tubes it has the more ice you will get from each cycle. well duh
  • You will need to develop a way to keep grit and small flying/crawling critters out of the reservoir. We use a hand towel draped over the top and lid, being careful to not block the air intakes or fan exhaust.
On one trip to Florida in August/September we were buying 20lb of ice daily just to keep our extra supplies cold in the RTIC cooler. (this was before our Escape and having a bigger refrigerator and freezer)
Since the Escape the ice maker does not get near the use it did during our Scamp years, but it does keep us from having to buy ice and it does keep the cooler we carry in the truck cold for those on the road drinks and snacks.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006
We are just finalizing our build sheet for an Escape 21 that we pick up in April. We are from Texas so we have to have our ice for our margaritas.....Sounds like the newer refrigerators in the 21 will have plenty of room for ice.
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Bornestig View Post
Yep, bought one on the way home from the desert (!) Some where in Oregon, Anderson WalMart.$ 99 US.Went to our local Costco here in Vancouver last week and they had the same brand for $ 99 Canadian.Works like a charm, building up a supply ahead of time.
Encouraging ! Pat
Old 12-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #10

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Like others, carry a cooler for beer but invested in a better quality cooler. Watched enough cooler showdown videos on youtube and went with an Orca. Get around 3+ days on a bag of ice.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We make all the ice we can use in our fridge freezer, short of wanting a big cooler full at one time. We use those silicon ice cube trays and they work great. We have a couple that make very large ice cubes, and if you want ice in a drink one cube lasts a real long time.

I am curious as to the desire for an ice maker when you have a nice large freezer, especially seeing you need to bring along yet another device, and lordy knows I might have too many already.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Ice Maker

I bough an ice maker thinking I would make ice along the way instead of buying it. Didn't work. The ice maker made soft ice that didn't last long in a cooler. We now have a Yeti clone from Wal-Mart and purchase a bag every four days, or so. A Gin and Tonic isn't a Gin and Tonic, without ice.
I did come across a guy who had a 'commercial' ice maker in the back of his pick-up truck that was big and heavy. It never left his truck.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We make all the ice we can use in our fridge freezer, short of wanting a big cooler full at one time. We use those silicon ice cube trays and they work great. We have a couple that make very large ice cubes, and if you want ice in a drink one cube lasts a real long time.

I am curious as to the desire for an ice maker when you have a nice large freezer, especially seeing you need to bring along yet another device, and lordy knows I might have too many already.
Jim we have a small 4.3 . Not very big . We always carry a cooler now for way over 35 plus years . Carries extra and if the refrigerator doesn’t work we will be fine . Pat
Old 12-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #14

Quote:

We also start out with chucks of ice we make in 1/2 cartons before the trip .
Old 12-13-2019, 01:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim we have a small 4.3 . Not very big . We always carry a cooler now for way over 35 plus years . Carries extra and if the refrigerator doesn’t work we will be fine . Pat
I always have ice on the go in my freezer for my cooler because every trailer fridge I have owned has caused my problems.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Another interesting thread, have to say an ice maker has never popped up in my mind when it comes to camping.
One thing we started doing a few years ago is freezing Gatorade bottles of water, usually 4, one in each corner of the cooler then laying a bag of ice unopened on top of everything until we needed it and even then only tearing small whole in bag to get out some ice. As the ice in the bottles melted sure was nice cold glass of water on a hot day but you would be surprised how long they last.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Got my own ice-maker right now. I left a water bottle in my truck last night and this morning it was a solid block of ice! Of course it was only about -16°C last night. When it starts to get cold this winter, the effectiveness of my ice-maker will be even better!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Another interesting thread, have to say an ice maker has never popped up in my mind when it comes to camping.
One thing we started doing a few years ago is freezing Gatorade bottles of water, usually 4, one in each corner of the cooler then laying a bag of ice unopened on top of everything until we needed it and even then only tearing small whole in bag to get out some ice. As the ice in the bottles melted sure was nice cold glass of water on a hot day but you would be surprised how long they last.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
That is a good idea , I guess we could use OJ bottles . May give that a try . Pat
Old 12-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Got my own ice-maker right now. I left a water bottle in my truck last night and this morning it was a solid block of ice! Of course it was only about -16°C last night. When it starts to get cold this winter, the effectiveness of my ice-maker will be even better!
Dave do you own one of those little ice makers or your talking about the freezer on refrigerator? Pat
Old 12-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Seems obvious, they are making a lot of snow cones!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote