Portland OR safe? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
My daughter lives in Portland and I’ve been there a few times with no issues. First of all I avoid big cities when hauling a trailer anyway. I grew up in a small town not in a big city. Someone was shot in my front yard. Another friend of mine was run down. So does that mean it’s unsafe in a small town ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:17 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We still love it here! Here's a great article and some good links you might be interested in. https://embracesomeplace.com/pros-cons-portland-oregon/
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
My daughter lives in Portland and I’ve been there a few times with no issues. First of all I avoid big cities when hauling a trailer anyway. I grew up in a small town not in a big city. Someone was shot in my front yard. Another friend of mine was run down. So does that mean it’s unsafe in a small town ?
I’d say Portland is unsafe compared to many small towns.

Portland is the land of cupcakes and unicorns compared to areas like south Chicago or north St. Louis.

Crime is relative same as many other things are.

Another useful tool is FBI crime statistical fact studies.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post

Portland is the land of cupcakes and unicorns compared to areas like south Chicago or north St. Louis.

I would agree, as a life long Oregonian things have changed. I would not recommend or encourage friends to travel and explore Portland.
dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Would I go to the symphony is Portland or a fine downtown restaurant or the theatre ? Yes. Would I go to the area where there are demonstrators both left and right , no. It’s all about situations and awareness. As I said, my daughter lives there and I’ve been to her neighbor hood for dinner. However we all have choices about risk and opinions.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:

The last statistics I would access are from the FBI. More manipulations than a jugglers convention.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:09 PM   #27

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Would I go to the symphony is Portland or a fine downtown restaurant or the theatre ? Yes. Would I go to the area where there are demonstrators both left and right , no. It’s all about situations and awareness. As I said, my daughter lives there and I’ve been to her neighbor hood for dinner. However we all have choices about risk and opinions.
Yeah! Why put yourself in the position to became a statistic. You can avoid or engage. I'm far too old to engage anymore.

Sometimes I think I would like to do it one more time but I know I won't.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Smile Numbers

The actual crime numbers have been falling for years. Remember the news man's creed if it bleeds it leads. We had an uptick of crime because of the pandemic. If you're going to make yourself a target with a fat wallet staggering out of a bar in skidrow in any town you're in trouble. If you use common sense you're saved just about anywhere, go and enjoy yourself just don't make yourself a target.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
The actual crime numbers have been falling for years. Remember the news man's creed if it bleeds it leads. We had an uptick of crime because of the pandemic. If you're going to make yourself a target with a fat wallet staggering out of a bar in skidrow in any town you're in trouble. If you use common sense you're saved just about anywhere, go and enjoy yourself just don't make yourself a target.

From your perspective as someone living in a very low crime area you would be correct. Seal Beach, which I am familiar with and a many parts of big cities have nothing in common.

Crime has gotten way worse in the less fortunate areas. It isn’t just a few pistols the criminals are riding with anymore, they travel with AKs. It’s not make believe these stories of crimes and carjackings you hear about, its really happening. I do understand if you’ve been fortunate enough to not be near these things its easy to not absorb it as reality.

I do think its best for those on here that may not fully understand the complete war zones that they may be driving thru to be aware and safe.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I haven't lived in the Portland area as long as Donna, but I have been here since 1983. The bad stuff you see on the news about Portland isn't the actually dangerous part, it is the loud and obnoxious part, and easily avoidable. The dangerous parts aren't the areas your buddies are likely to suggest going to for a drink, and also easily avoidable.

Get a room at the Benson, see the Japanese and the International Test Rose Gardens, browse at Powell's Books, have the stuffed salmon at Jakes Famous Crawfish and a nightcap at Kells Irish Pub. You'll be fine as long as you're back in by midnight.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I haven't lived in the Portland area as long as Donna, but I have been here since 1983. The bad stuff you see on the news about Portland isn't the actually dangerous part, it is the loud and obnoxious part, and easily avoidable. The dangerous parts aren't the areas your buddies are likely to suggest going to for a drink, and also easily avoidable.

Get a room at the Benson, see the Japanese and the International Test Rose Gardens, browse at Powell's Books, have the stuffed salmon at Jakes Famous Crawfish and a nightcap at Kells Irish Pub. You'll be fine as long as you're back in by midnight.
There are 6 of us left. 84 to 90. We are wild parteeee people. Sometimes we stay out till 8 or 9 pm. We are hoping to meet some ladies who are fed up with Social Distancing.

I got a book of instructions.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
We are hoping to meet some ladies who are fed up with Social Distancing.
I got a book of instructions.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:48 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks, I think we will probably go to Pendleton.
I think you'll like Pendleton. I suggest you go to Hamley's Steakhouse and Saloon. Fascinating place! https://hamley.com/
Attached Thumbnails
OR-Hamleys-DowntownPendleton.JPG  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:52 AM   #34

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Response

Quote:
From your perspective as someone living in a very low crime area you would be correct. Seal Beach, which I am familiar with and a many parts of big cities have nothing in common.

Crime has gotten way worse in the less fortunate areas. It isn’t just a few pistols the criminals are riding with anymore, they travel with AKs. It’s not make believe these stories of crimes and carjackings you hear about, its really happening. I do understand if you’ve been fortunate enough to not be near these things its easy to not absorb it as reality.

I do think its best for those on here that may not fully understand the complete war zones that they may be driving thru to be aware and safe.
First seal Beach is approximately 4 1/2 miles from North Long Beach one of the toughest high crime areas in Southern California. My bachelors is in criminal justice and I worked in the field. You're entitled to your beliefs. My main concern is that an old soldier enjoy his time with his companions. I know I spent 17 1/2 years in the military retired medical injuries in the field. 2 1/2 years RA, 15 NG. My last 20 years was in sales I worked South Central LA, Compton, the Valley, downtown LA, Bakersfield, Fresno, anywhere there was machine tools. As I said above you're entitled to your beliefs, for me this is ended now, this is last thing I'll say on this matter.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:50 PM   #35

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think you'll like Pendleton. I suggest you go to Hamley's Steakhouse and Saloon. Fascinating place! https://hamley.com/
"J.J. Hamley Filet - 8 oz - $45.00" before appetizer, drinks, & tip. I'll sear one on my Blackstone.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
"J.J. Hamley Filet - 8 oz - $45.00" before appetizer, drinks, & tip. I'll sear one on my Blackstone.
Probably cost you that much at the grocer for the same cut and aging.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:28 PM   #37

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Probably cost you that much at the grocer for the same cut and aging.
Maybe in the Dominion. Our local butcher has filet mignon at $28# (USD) I didn't ask how old the meat was.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:19 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I didn't say anyone had to eat there. Buy a beverage of your choice in the saloon. Visit the saddle shop and look around the entire place open to the public. It's pretty dang cool.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
First seal Beach is approximately 4 1/2 miles from North Long Beach one of the toughest high crime areas in Southern California. My bachelors is in criminal justice and I worked in the field. You're entitled to your beliefs. My main concern is that an old soldier enjoy his time with his companions. I know I spent 17 1/2 years in the military retired medical injuries in the field. 2 1/2 years RA, 15 NG. My last 20 years was in sales I worked South Central LA, Compton, the Valley, downtown LA, Bakersfield, Fresno, anywhere there was machine tools. As I said above you're entitled to your beliefs, for me this is ended now, this is last thing I'll say on this matter.
Nothing in Long Beach or Portland compares to the crime in the areas I mentioned, but nice life story.

I’ll stick with the statistical facts for my safety.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Sometimes I think I would like to do it one more time but I know I won't.
That's exactly how I feel about teaching 7th Grade Math! Those 7th graders can be brutal; I think they gave me mild ptsd.

« Caframo | Awnings »