Power - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Power

Got a quick question about hooking up to campground power... I have always dry camped, so never needed anything, but might be heading to a campground soon. I didn't get the removable power cord. What exactly do I need to plug in? Thanks from the virgin to hook ups -
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Whether the cord is removable or not doesn't matter.

Just pull the cord out of the access cover (the round plastic one on the drivers side rear) and plug it in to the 30 amp campsite receptacle. It will only fit in a 30 amp receptacle, so you can't screw it up. I make sure the breaker on the campground post is off before inserting the plug, then once inserted, turn the breaker on.

If your trailer is equipped with the Progressive EMS (surge suppressor), be aware that it will take about a minute for the system to go through it's diagnostics and for power to flow.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
... If your trailer is equipped with the Progressive EMS (surge suppressor), be aware that it will take about a minute for the system to go through it's diagnostics and for power to flow.
When I hear the microwave clock chirp (reminder to set the time; it just chirps once), I know the power is flowing.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 17A
Thanks everyone- so no extension cords or adapters that I need to carry?
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
Not usually, as long as you park close enough to the power at the campsite and it's a genuine 30amp outlet. The only time I usually need my 30amp extension is when we have to face the opposite ( the wrong way ) direction to the power pole, or when we can't get close enough, like at a crowded festival or something. You should be good to go.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
Escape was supplying one adaptor with new trailers and I think we have the other one. We always have both another 30-amp extension which has been used quite a few times by now and a second fresh water hose which we have needed once in a while.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Escape was supplying one adaptor with new trailers and I think we have the other one. We always have both another 30-amp extension which has been used quite a few times by now and a second fresh water hose which we have needed once in a while.
If you have a choice, purchase the "dog bone" version of either the 50 - 30 or 15 - 30 adapters (a short cord between the two connectors). Less prone to open grounds & other poor connections than the cube type.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have a dogbone for the 50/30 but don't know if we replaced the one that Escape provided which I do not think is that type.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If your trailer is equipped with the Progressive EMS (surge suppressor), be aware that it will take about a minute for the system to go through it's diagnostics and for power to flow.
The factory default time delay is 15 seconds. This can be increased to 136 seconds by removing a jumper. This would only be done if someone had an A/C unit without its own time delay built in. This protects the compressor from rapid off/on cycles.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All of my EMS have taken anywhere from 1-2 minutes before activation, 15 seconds seems too short.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All of my EMS have taken anywhere from 1-2 minutes before activation, 15 seconds seems too short.

From the factory manual:

"Time Delay for A/C Compressor | If AC power is interrupted
or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built in time delay is
activated. There are two settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds
(02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner
manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15
second delay, if not, use the 136-seconds delay. The factory
setting is 15 seconds."
Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #12

I guess Escape set's it to the longer setting? Do not know if our a/c model has time delay? Either way the longer delay will not hurt anything.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:
I guess Escape set's it to the longer setting? Do not know if our a/c model has time delay? Either way the longer delay will not hurt anything.
I think the longer delay is the "safer" option, especially if shore power is bouncing on and off. It would give things more time to settle.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I think the longer delay is the "safer" option, especially if shore power is bouncing on and off. It would give things more times to settle.
That is what I was trying to convey, thanks.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Setting up

Quote:
We back into our campsites and Rita checks the levels, if we level up with minimal jockeying around and feel we are happy with the setup the first thing we do is plug into the electrical and wait the 2:16 for the EMS to make. On average, a couple times each year we have had to use a different outlet and an adapter. We have never found it necessary to change sites. When we have to level up with the Andersons, we go ahead and do that and then plug in. I suppose we could get “fooled” and have to find a different site and go through the level up process twice but haven’t yet. If we do, that’s camping, we’re still going to have a great time.
We carry two “ dogbone” adapters and a spare dropcord. For Christmas I’m going to ask Santa for an RV dropcord with the proper ends so I can reach a “ bush too far.” to get the 30 amp service if necessary instead of dropping down to the 20 and hooking up with an adapter. Some sites are a little tougher to get into and level up. YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
B9822E53-5A27-4D19-8E83-37B677D67D86.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
From the factory manual: "Time Delay for A/C Compressor | If AC power is interrupted or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second delay, if not, use the 136-seconds delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds."
Darn those factory manuals! It's like, they know everything. They have taken the fun out of many a DIY adventure.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We back into our campsites and Rita checks the levels, if we level up with minimal jockeying around and feel we are happy with the setup the first thing we do is plug into the electrical and wait the 2:16 for the EMS to make. On average, a couple times each year we have had to use a different outlet and an adapter. We have never found it necessary to change sites. When we have to level up with the Andersons, we go ahead and do that and then plug in. I suppose we could get “fooled” and have to find a different site and go through the level up process twice but haven’t yet. If we do, that’s camping, we’re still going to have a great time.
We carry two “ dogbone” adapters and a spare dropcord. For Christmas I’m going to ask Santa for an RV dropcord with the proper ends so I can reach a “ bush too far.” to get the 30 amp service if necessary instead of dropping down to the 20 and hooking up with an adapter. Some sites are a little tougher to get into and level up. YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Good idea to ask "Sanity clause" for more cord. The new modern Provincial parks in Ontario now place one "Currant bush" between two 1/2 acre sites... along the road way. The office has had so many requests they now have made up extensions... but take along some bug repellent for the trek!!! We managed to find one site with a "Currant bush" behind it but still needed the extra 30A. cord. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150831_175220.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Alf, camping in Ontario Provincial Parks is what caused me to now own 2 -25' 30A extension cords. I had one 25' along and even it added to the pull out cord on our 17B wasn't enough to reach the post.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... Good idea to ask "Sanity clause" for more cord. The new modern Provincial parks in Ontario now place one "Currant bush" between two 1/2 acre sites... along the road way. The office has had so many requests they now have made up extensions... but take along some bug repellent for the trek!!! We managed to find one site with a "Currant bush" behind it but still needed the extra 30A. cord. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
We were at Kakabeka Falls PP for Thanksgiving Alf and it was my first experience with these "currant bushes" between sites at the road. Had to pull up toward front of site to reach even with my 30 amp extension. Apparently the office had extension cords for rent. Wow $123 for three nights and had trouble plugging in. Big difference to the $95 after exchange just paid for four nights at the Corps of Engineer park in AL for the March Green Eggs and Ham rally. If you're heading home from FL about then you should come there will be quite a few Escapes there

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Also having done Ontario parks this fall and finding the power posts at the road or mid way down the site between them...This was just mind blowing.
So if you are thinking of relocating the power cord or changing over to a plug in style, you should strongly consider locating it in the front corner of the trailer and not at the rear. This way if you have one 25 ft extension you have half a chance to make it to these new style power outlets. If the power outlet is located in the traditional location in a camp spot like it should be, the cord exiting the front corner will still work without an extension.
If you are having a 19 built you may want to see if they would put the cord up front ahead of the black water tank. That is where mine will eventually end up.
If I had not seen these new power outlets and read this post...I would think this to be a crazy idea.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote