power jack & storage box need to remove cover? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: looking
power jack & storage box need to remove cover?

will I have to remove my propane tank cover to access my storage box if I get the power tongue jack? like the poster said. "I will have both regardless"..... but has anyone encountered this minor annoyance. never did like pulling off that cover on my last TT.
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No, the storage box and propane are both accessible separately. The power jack should not interfere with either....
Old 04-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #3

thanks Jim
Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 - 21'
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1007.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	15980Good morning.
We picked up our Escape last year, but we did not get the power jack. After a couple of trips I wished that I had gotten one. So I shopped around and found an Attwood 2500 at Woody's here in Edmonton, for $250 new.
Installed it in about a half hour, and I think that it works great. The storage lid opens, I don't have to remove the propane tank cover at all, and the Attwood fits perfectly in front of them both. I'm pretty sure some power jacks have larger heads, so they may not fit as well as this one does? There are taller jacks too, that probably would not interfere with the propane tank cover.
paulschram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The Atwood 4000 works ok too. No removing the tank cover to open the storage box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #6

me and Wendy greatly appreciate ya'lls help. our build sheet is due in Sept. so I really need to do my homework. have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulschram View Post
Attachment 15980
Installed it in about a half hour, and I think that it works great..
I am considering the same. How did you wire it, to the tow vehicle? What is involved in that?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 - 21'
wiring

I wired it to the trailer batteries. The trailer battery wires are live at the hitch. There are lots of times that I want to raise and lower the trailer, and not have it connected to the truck. Cranking by hand is easy enough, but much easier and quicker, with the electric. The price of Escape's option is very reasonable. I should have just got them to install it, but I sat on the fence and then finally decided not to when we put our build sheet in. On the other hand, with shopping for it and installation time, it gave me something to do for a few hours.
paulschram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

that's how my last TT was also. just strait to the battery.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Well, I got the power jack from ETI, and with the propane cover in place I can't open the storage box lid. I believe it's a very small difference of exactly where the propane bottom shelf is mounted to the tongue that makes that impact. I'm not about to try to move the tanks, and I've entertained thoughts of making a small cut out on the propane cover, but until then I simply bought a $20 naugahyde cover, which does the job. It won't last as long as the hard plastic cover, but then it was only $20.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

thanks Santa Cruz. I need to be prepared for these "minor" annoyances in advance. I have a truck with a camper shell so. I really don't have to have the extra storage. However ,,two different folks show photos of theirs work together. kinda strange?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just another thing to check at pickup. There sholud be enough space to open the box without removing the tanks' cover. The Atwood 2500 is shorter than other models which is important for those with lift gates as taller ones will impede more for clearance to open.

If you opt out for the power jack at least have it wired for next to nothing in cost.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Thanks to this excellent thread I added to my build sheet addendum to check for this issue... to make sure i can open the optional front cargo box with the propane cover in place, and also to check the clearance on the power tongue jack with the hatch of our current SUV (that we'll tow with for many many more years)

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I had an early combination of the storage box, tank cover & electric jack - The solution I used for a tight fit making the storage box a pain to open was to thermoform the plastic tank cover. Using an electric heater & a heat shrink gun together I warmed up the plastic until it was soft enough to let me flatten the back side of the cover.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Thanks to this excellent thread I added to my build sheet addendum to check for this issue... to make sure i can open the optional front cargo box with the propane cover in place, and also to check the clearance on the power tongue jack with the hatch of our current SUV (that we'll tow with for many many more years)

I used this to allow clearance Amazon.com: Jack-E-Up (Black): Home Improvement
Old 04-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I had an early combination of the storage box, tank cover & electric jack - The solution I used for a tight fit making the storage box a pain to open was to thermoform the plastic tank cover. Using an electric heater & a heat shrink gun together I warmed up the plastic until it was soft enough to let me flatten the back side of the cover.
I only got the power jack because I knew with the manual jack that my huge Tundra tailgate wouldn't clear the handle. Traded one problem for another! Reforming the plastic tank cover is the best solution, just haven't wanted to buy a heat gun to do it.
I know from experience elsewhere that using a torch is a tenuous idea, too.