Power or manual awning—pros and cons - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Power or manual awning—pros and cons

My wife and I finally got see an Escape 19 up close and personal, thanks to a referral from Tammy. Older couple like us, friendly and happy to show us their Escape—even had the same TV, a Toyota Tacoma V6 with factory tow package!
The easy part is that we have decided that the Escape 19 is the trailer we want. The hard part is deciding which options to add to our trailer. The biggest question is power awning or the standard manual awning because I think it will affect which thermal windows we get, frame or frameless. The manual would have the supports that are bolted into the side of the trailer, the power awning does not. Frame windows slide, frameless windows push out at the bottom (correct me if my assumptions are incorrect). Pros and cons? I sincerely value your experiences and comments—this is our first and hopefully last RV and we appreciate your help!
Hope to make the 8-9 hour trip from Bend to Chilliwack sometime in May to get an option list finalized. Who is the sales rep I’ll need to sit down with? Thanks Forum members!
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you do a search you will see this discussed a lot. Having now had both, they both have merits. The only real negative of the electric is without the use of added support they cannot be used in heavy rain, fully extended. Otherwise they are fine, I love how handy it is to operate, the auto retract, and the good looks. If buying again I would go electric, and even if I wanted manual my wife wouldn't let me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have a manual awning on one of our FG trailer’s and an electric awning on our other FG trailer . Like Jim B posted they both have merit . If I had to choose again , I would go with the manual .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We're currently sitting underneath the manual awning in the rain. Terry will start cooking in a little while. With the electric we would have a pole where I'm sitting, or just getting in the way.

If you don't camp in the rain and just want shade, then the electric is the way to go.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd suggest that you come to the rally in Osoyoos, BC from May 23-27 where there will be maybe 150 Escapes, all sizes and some with power and manual awnings as well as sliders and frameless windows. You can talk with the owners and see them in operation. Osoyoos is about 3 hours east from Chilliwack.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've had both, the manual on my 17B, and the power awning on my 21 (the only one available at the time). Now that there is a choice, I'd go for the manual. The ability to tilt it for water run off & shade when the sun is at a low angle is a bonus of the manual awning.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The ability to tilt it for water run off & shade when the sun is at a low angle is a bonus of the manual awning.
I have never tilted for shade, but instead use a light cloth sunshade, even with the manual. They work great clipped to the electric awning too. Seeing you are stuck with the electric, you might give this a try.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
On the other hand... We had a manual awning on our Scamp 16'er and used it twice in 10 years because... You shouldn't leave the trailer with the awning extended in case of wind. And we come and go from the parked trailer frequently for bicycling, kayaking, hiking, whatever. So, we bought the electric awning with our 2018 Escape 19'er because we felt we'd use it much more often due to being a cinch to close. Granted not in the rain, but we didn't use our previous manual awning in the rain either.

So... I think your choice will be based on how you want to use it. If you stick around your trailer, then maybe the manual is for you. But if you come and go a lot, you'll appreciate the electric.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

For us it was a matter of training with getting used to the electric awning. We keep it out about 4-5' most of the time, and extend it fully in the hot sun. Evenings see it brought in halfway too. If it gets real windy we don't always wait for the auto-retract and bring it in a bunch proactively. When it is pouring rain we keep it at the halfway point to shed water off chairs and tables along the trailer, and if we are outside use a pole with a padded cross-beam. This pole can either extend to the ground or be brought up to be placed on a table top if wanted. It is by for less intrusive than the two side arms on the manual.

Bottom line, both will do the job. Each having its own merits. No wrong choice.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Bottom line, both will do the job. Each having its own merits. No wrong choice.
True story and I'm just grateful to HAVE an awning. When I bought my Scamp it didn't, does now!

The manual awning on Ten Forward works just fine. I use it 99% for shade. On the Big Trip and camped at the Badlands, I was able to deploy the awning, but NOT lift it up to full height, in fact I didn't lift it at all. I could still open the door to go inside (I'm not a big person). That shaded the biggest portion of the side of trailer in the hot sun almost to the bottom. Makes a huge difference when it's HOT and no A/C.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #11
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Our trailer was mid-production when Escape announced that they would no longer do the power awning in August 2018. Shortly later, they decided to offer both options. It brought to our attention some of the issues that people were having with the power awning (motor, not retracting, debris on top when retracting) and we decided to go with the manual for simplicity- there are quite a few forums already on the debate.
We also have the thermal awning windows, which limits us to only open the bathroom window (if you get this option) and the one dining room window a crack with the manual awning in the closed position due to the awning arms. It's really not a problem for us- the trailer still has that toxic-ish new smell and we like that we can leave the windows open in the Northwest while we're away and don't have to worry about rain getting in.
We are either road tripping and just spending 1-2 nights in one spot, in which case we open the awning while we are around and close it when we aren't, it takes less than a minute to put away. Mostly when we are road tripping, we just leave the awning closed and the other windows offer more than enough airflow. When we are camped in one spot for more days, we'll use the awning more. I also like the arms of the awning to hang a couple clothes on to dry or beach towels!
The manual awning is also a bit cheaper and doesn't have a motor that could break, so if you're on a budget it might afford you some other desired options. I found out after our trailer was built that you can get an additional window installed over the counter by the bed/cabinets and we would have liked this option! I did read that the manual awnings do not retract into the protective casing the way the power ones do, so there is a possibility that the fabric may wear out sooner due to sun exposure with the manual ones, we'll have to see! 🙂
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Our trailer was mid-production when Escape announced that they would no longer do the power awning in August 2018. Shortly later, they decided to offer both options. It brought to our attention some of the issues that people were having with the power awning (motor, not retracting, debris on top when retracting) and we decided to go with the manual for simplicity- there are quite a few forums already on the debate.
We also have the thermal awning windows, which limits us to only open the bathroom window (if you get this option) and the one dining room window a crack with the manual awning in the closed position due to the awning arms. It's really not a problem for us- the trailer still has that toxic-ish new smell and we like that we can leave the windows open in the Northwest while we're away and don't have to worry about rain getting in.
We are either road tripping and just spending 1-2 nights in one spot, in which case we open the awning while we are around and close it when we aren't, it takes less than a minute to put away. Mostly when we are road tripping, we just leave the awning closed and the other windows offer more than enough airflow. When we are camped in one spot for more days, we'll use the awning more. I also like the arms of the awning to hang a couple clothes on to dry or beach towels!
The manual awning is also a bit cheaper and doesn't have a motor that could break, so if you're on a budget it might afford you some other desired options. I found out after our trailer was built that you can get an additional window installed over the counter by the bed/cabinets and we would have liked this option! I did read that the manual awnings do not retract into the protective casing the way the power ones do, so there is a possibility that the fabric may wear out sooner due to sun exposure with the manual ones, we'll have to see! 🙂
Anj: Thanks for the info on the thermal windows openings and the closed awning bars. I’m leading towards the manual which will free up funds towards the solar. I appreciate the comments made so far and look forward to further comments and ‘pearls of wisdom’ from Forum members!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Your camping style, and the type of climate you spend a lot of time in, can make a difference - there is no one best awning or window type, it can depend on your circumstances. We are in Texas and spend a good bit of time in warmer spots, not so much in cold or very rainy spots. On our previous trailer we primarily used the awning for shade, and the convenience of the electric awning is a big plus for us as it makes it easy to deploy it even at a short lunch stop. We have cats who travel with us, and often are out for the day hiking and need to be able to leave windows open for them without having to worry about rain happening while we're gone, so the awning windows are right for us.

And we will pick up our new 5.0TA next week....the wait is almost over!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
One nice feature of the manual awning is that the arms can be released via quick-release latches from the bottom, then staked out to the ground. I found with that configuration, and the corner toward the wind set 6-8” lower than the other end, the awning handled wind up to 15 MPH no problem.

This configuration works great if camping in one spot for several days. The arms are completely out of the way. That being said, we are getting the electric awning on our new 5.0 for the convenience as Jim describes.

Picture is at Beverly Beach State Park, OR when we were there for 5 days around the Aug 2017 eclipse. Awning was out the entire time. (That’s Blue painters tape on the leading edge of the forward arm. Saves cleaning the bugs off. Just replace the tape.)
Attached Thumbnails
DD28AA6C-7B31-4D7A-8CE4-A67282841968.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
My wife and I finally got see an Escape 19 up close and personal, thanks to a referral from Tammy. Older couple like us, friendly and happy to show us their Escape—even had the same TV, a Toyota Tacoma V6 with factory tow package!
The easy part is that we have decided that the Escape 19 is the trailer we want. The hard part is deciding which options to add to our trailer. The biggest question is power awning or the standard manual awning because I think it will affect which thermal windows we get, frame or frameless. The manual would have the supports that are bolted into the side of the trailer, the power awning does not. Frame windows slide, frameless windows push out at the bottom (correct me if my assumptions are incorrect). Pros and cons? I sincerely value your experiences and comments—this is our first and hopefully last RV and we appreciate your help!
Hope to make the 8-9 hour trip from Bend to Chilliwack sometime in May to get an option list finalized. Who is the sales rep I’ll need to sit down with? Thanks Forum members!
With the manual awning you can easily make a significant pitch adjustment on the angle of the awning thereby providing more shade. Not hard to put the awning up and down once you get the hang of it. I laminated a sheet with instructions. Yes it is always nice just to just push a button but electric ones eventually break down usually at an inconvenient time. We also like the manual because we can hang our custom sun screens easily from the side or front of the awning. Finally the manual awning has a place to attach our camco deflappers which stabilize the awning in a breeze. If I had it all to do over again I would go manual,
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
We had an electric on our 17 and had a choice when we upgraded to a 21. We were all set for the manual, then last minute decided to go electric. The manual is perhaps more robust, but despite what some might tell you that its not difficult to put out, in reality, the electric is so much easier to open up, its just the click of a button and therefore will get used even on a short stop where you wouldn't put a manual awning out. When we are away going to be away from the trailer, or if wind becomes an issue, with one click, the awning is retracted. Electric is, IMHO, the way to go, but YMMV. In addition, the electric has much cleaner lines too and we love the frameless windows too, which with the manual can be challenging.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I think for anyone making this decision it is worth the effort to see each in person and experience the differences.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If they were the same price I would have to flip a coin.

We have the power awning which depletes your battery every time you operate it. I do like that it is in a case to protect it from the sun when closed. Being in a case does mean it has to close properly. This may require you to do adjustments.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post285805

I would get the manual awning if I was doing it again.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If they were the same price I would have to flip a coin.
For me (us), if they were the same price it would be the electric hands down. The cost savings for the manual is very attractive, that's for sure.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #20

Really appreciate the comments so far—trending towards electric vs. manual, but curious, is there a big draw on the battery when operating the awning? I would assume that there be some draw while operating, but it would be minimal and of short duration.
Our original intent was to look at a 2020 build, but we might move on a trailer sooner than that. Production dates now seem to be the end of summer on the 19s. We plan a trip to Chilliwack in May, production dates may be well into the fall at that point. Thanks again Forum members!