power tongue jack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 escape 19 ft
power tongue jack

coming up to finalizing our build sheet.....is it worth it to get a power tongue jack for 19'?
peteanddarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Depends on what "worth it" means Pete. I installed one and I don't miss hand cranking. Others don't mind.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd have one if it weren't so "fingernails on blackboard" noisy.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Have had both. Love the powered. Will always have powered.

Was trying to sneak out of the park the other morning really early, I’m sure I woke the neighbours with it. Up to bring it above hitch ball/lower over the ball/back up to ensure latched properly and then lower again to drive away.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Have had both. Love the powered. Will always have powered.

Was trying to sneak out of the park the other morning really early, I’m sure I woke the neighbours with it. Up to bring it above hitch ball/lower over the ball/back up to ensure latched properly and then lower again to drive away.
I probably wouldn't miss the power jack if I didn't use an Andersen hitch. The power jack makes it so much easier with that, because you have to jack high to take the chain tension off so you can drop the triangle plate. When hooking up, the situation is reversed. That's a lot of hand cranking.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Power tongue jack is my favorite option on the trailer every time I hitch or unhitch.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Love it. Wanted it the first day and finally have one. We ordered it though, not from Escape as wanted a Barker VIP. I think Escape sells something else.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I probably wouldn't miss the power jack if I didn't use an Andersen hitch. The power jack makes it so much easier with that, because you have to jack high to take the chain tension off so you can drop the triangle plate. When hooking up, the situation is reversed. That's a lot of hand cranking.
That’s the setup we have on the 21 too
And Robert is exactly right. I’ve still got the arm strength but the power jack makes things easy. It makes less noise than the 18 volt Dewalt drill on the stabilizers. And less noise than me when I’m just setting around. Course I been thrown out of places too. The jack comes with a crank backup if the battery was run down or something so you won’t get stranded but you might have to find a strong Iowa farm girl to help you and then sing you a song.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
An electric jack will add 15-20lbs to your tongue weight, if that's significant for your tow vehicle.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie39 View Post
An electric jack will add 15-20lbs to your tongue weight, if that's significant for your tow vehicle.
That depends. Mine is a heavier one, the Atwood 4000, at about 30 lbs. But the power jack Escape uses weighs about 15 lbs. That's probably no heavier than the stock crank jack. I remember it was quite heavy when I removed it.

I'm also thinking if a few lbs makes a difference to your tow vehicle, it's time to consider another one.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I saw the weight of a Barker 3500 similar to ours at 27.6 lbs. I just picked up the old crank and would guess at least half that. But no big deal to me. The power jack is worth every pound and there aren't that many.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Added the Barker 3500 power jack after 4 years and love it . Just wanted to save a few bucks for awhile but now know what we were missing . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
We have enjoyed the power tongue jack on all of our past RV's

An option we added was the Fastway flip pad to it.
https://www.campingworld.com/fastway...RoCE9YQAvD_BwE

It saves time by automatically adding a 6 inch lift to the jack, lessens run time. They also have a 4 inch version.
The same thing as adding a stack of levelers under the jack but it is always there.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
My 2¢: thought it was a good idea because "we'll need it when were older." Well, just 2 months later, I guess where older. Some unrelated shoulder pain made the power jack essential for camping. Like the other responders with an Andersen, the power jack makes hitch up soo much easier. I haven't found ours noisy, and like Iowa Dave, it makes less noise than the drill we use for the stabilizers. I think it's the "pitch" of the whirring sound: the jack is just a bit deeper, less grating than the drill.

Yup, one of the better add-ons to this version of our Escape.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #15

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
power tongue jack

In the middle of a trip my shoulder started to bother me, I looked up Amazon and had a jack delivered to our next traveling stop in SFO. When we arrived, there it was in the office. Three bolts and some wiring and my shoulder was fine. We are having Escape put one on the 17.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Got a power jack for a little over $100 on sale at Princes Auto...easy to replace the old and hook up to power if your battery is up front. It has a 6 inch telescope extension that drops down and pins so your half way there...add a wood block and it is reasonably quick.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I think that it is great that a power jack can make hitching and unhitching easier for some, and in particular, those who may have physical impairments that may otherwise make it difficult to operate the stock manual jack. For those without such an impairment, it really does not take much strength or effort to operate the manual jack that comes with your Escape. For myself, I do not even notice the effort required to manually raise or lower the jacks on my trailers, and I am a skinny old guy. So, if you are wondering whether or not the power jack option is a "required" option for every Escape sold, the answer is a definite "NO". However, in some cases and for some people, having the power jack may be useful.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I think that it is great that a power jack can make hitching and unhitching easier for some, and in particular, those who may have physical impairments that may otherwise make it difficult to operate the stock manual jack. For those without such an impairment, it really does not take much strength or effort to operate the manual jack that comes with your Escape. For myself, I do not even notice the effort required to manually raise or lower the jacks on my trailers, and I am a skinny old guy. So, if you are wondering whether or not the power jack option is a "required" option for every Escape sold, the answer is a definite "NO". However, in some cases and for some people, having the power jack may be useful.
Hi Dave so true and we did without the jack for about 4 years . Sometimes we don't know what life will bring though as I learned on last camping trip . I had just installed the electric jack before that trip . So I sure was glad of that jack which I never knew I would need . Especially on the 19 with batteries in the front such a easy install and nor expensive to buy . As you know I am not the brightest when it comes to electrical . If I can do it anyone can .
PS , have you had a chance to check out your solar yet ? Pat
Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Dave...PS , have you had a chance to check out your solar yet ? Pat
Pat. The solar seems to be working well. We are getting lots of sunshine these days and the batteries always seem to be topped up. Will be another month or so before the trailer goes out for a 2 week trip without electrical services, so should know after that whether there are any issues.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Pat. The solar seems to be working well. We are getting lots of sunshine these days and the batteries always seem to be topped up. Will be another month or so before the trailer goes out for a 2 week trip without electrical services, so should know after that whether there are any issues.
Alright ! Can't wait for a update after ! Pat