Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
Escape does QC before you show up for orientation.. I think whatever they missed on the spot is usually something that creeps up much later and likely the time you were able to spend around to use the trailer you will not be able to find much.. That said it doesn't hurt to ask... they have a deadline for border crossing, but if you can get the 8am orientation, you should be done by 10-10:30am, and you can ask if they can schedule the driver later to give you some time.. if 4:30 is the deadline you might get very close to the 6 hours you want...

Some people prefer to camp nearby so they can go back to get issues fixed.. We thought that way too, but in retrospect it's more like after a day of excitement you might as well camp nearby and enjoy the trailer We found a minor issue with our trailer the first night, was an easy fix so we fixed it on the spot. We spoke to someone who is also doing the shake down test at the same campground and he has some sort of issue with the pump but he isn't going back to Canada for the fix either, instead, they were shipping the pump to a repair shop further down south so he can stop by when he's on the way..

I think the bottom line is all the game stopping issues should not be around when you pick up.. everything else can be fixed somewhere down the road.. there's really no need to go back..

If you are going to make it to NorCal for thanksgiving, you probably should plan to head south as early as you could since Seattle traffic will be really bad, and if the weather is not cooperating, it might be a super long and nasty drive thru the Siskiyous .. We do the reverse drive every year for the last 10 years or so, some years are good some are really bad..
You have summed up my dilemma in a nutshell: Traffic, weather, exportation, holidays, issues. Exactly. So, ETI has high level QC done, yet you and another person identify a problem within a day.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Jeff sometimes problems that come up are beyond their control as people have mentioned a pump could just quit etc. Escape is great at fixing things if/as they manifest themselves and are more then willing to work with owners, even sending parts out.

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
You have summed up my dilemma in a nutshell: Traffic, weather, exportation, holidays, issues. Exactly. So, ETI has high level QC done, yet you and another person identify a problem within a day.
The other way to see it is, if there is a problem are you going to stick around for the fix or are you going to do Thanksgiving?

I think our issue is very minor (probably a oops.. it's the o-ring seal in shower head), the other person's pump issue I don't think is related to ETI's QC at all..

If my trailer had that completion date I probably would do Thanksgiving first then deal with the trailer delivery later.. but that's just me..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Don't forget that for some issues, Reace has been known to make house calls to set things right!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Once you picked up in Sumas you could go over to the Lynden KOA about 10 minutes away. Technically they are closed at that time of year, but you can still pull in and stay and just leave $$ in envelope. Don't think they'd care if you pulled in for about 4 hours and did your inspection then go on your way or give them the overnight fee in the envelope and leave in the morning. You are still close by Chilliwack if you discover anything and can get it fixed before you leave.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I think your best option would be to plan an staying locally for a day or two while you give everything a test run. Maybe even adjust the deliver date/time to allow for this. This would probably drop your stress level and make the entire process much more enjoyable.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Did you read my post?

From what they told me - you can NOT get more time between orientation and border crossing

For a variety of reasons.

John
Did you read my post? I clearly stated that I would never do anything without calling them first to try and arrange something. If they agree to an extended window of time, great. If not, then too bad. You're being argumentative when there is no reason to be.
Rapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Could celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving (Mon. Oct. 9 ) instead of US Thanksgiving.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Once you picked up in Sumas you could go over to the Lynden KOA about 10 minutes away. Technically they are closed at that time of year, but you can still pull in and stay and just leave $$ in envelope. Don't think they'd care if you pulled in for about 4 hours and did your inspection then go on your way or give them the overnight fee in the envelope and leave in the morning. You are still close by Chilliwack if you discover anything and can get it fixed before you leave.
This is a good suggestion. I'll have to call them. If they are closed for the season, but don't mind me pulling in for awhile, that's one thing. If all the electric, water and sewer are all closed and shut off, that is not helpful.

I wouldn't spend the night, I have to get to California sometime Thursday. And as others have noted, the traffic will not be much fun.

But if utilities are on, I could spend a few hours there, test everything, then hit the road and drive late into the night to get at least into Oregon.

And this is good suggestion even if I can move the date up up Monday.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Getting answers to questions on this forum is often troubling, most often due to posters not reading or understanding the entire question(s) prior to answering.
Good luck.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapha View Post
Did you read my post? I clearly stated that I would never do anything without calling them first to try and arrange something. If they agree to an extended window of time, great. If not, then too bad. You're being argumentative when there is no reason to be.
with all due respect.... I'm just trying to let all the people reading this thread that for a trailer that is being exported to the USA, it has to cross the border immediately after orientation

no extra time between orientation and export is possible. ETI was very clear about this.

what you suggest is simply not possible, as i said before.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Maybe a solution would be to travel straight to your thanksgiving bash in California, and then afterwards head up to Chilliwack to pick up your trailer. Thus, you would then have more time to find any issues with the trailer before packing up and heading home.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Maybe a solution would be to travel straight to your thanksgiving bash in California, and then afterwards head up to Chilliwack to pick up your trailer. Thus, you would then have more time to find any issues with the trailer before packing up and heading home.
1. Yeah, but its easier to get work time off for my wife the week of Thanksgiving, since all US business slows down that week. Getting time off the following week is tougher.
2. Every week later I wait makes weather a bigger factor. I don't want my trailer snowed in at BC until Spring.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
with all due respect.... I'm just trying to let all the people reading this thread that for a trailer that is being exported to the USA, it has to cross the border immediately after orientation

no extra time between orientation and export is possible. ETI was very clear about this.

what you suggest is simply not possible, as i said before.

Have a nice day.
Rapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
All the paperwork for exportation is dated. It must export into the US on that date or ETI has to redo the paperwork. Doubtful they'd give you hours, maybe another full day and be prepared to pay for the privilege of ETI redoing the paperwork... and the webwork where they make notification to the Canadian government. There's a reason US buyers get orientation in the morning... the trailer must cross the border on that day/date.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
This is a good suggestion. I'll have to call them. If they are closed for the season, but don't mind me pulling in for awhile, that's one thing. If all the electric, water and sewer are all closed and shut off, that is not helpful.

I wouldn't spend the night, I have to get to California sometime Thursday. And as others have noted, the traffic will not be much fun.

But if utilities are on, I could spend a few hours there, test everything, then hit the road and drive late into the night to get at least into Oregon.

And this is good suggestion even if I can move the date up up Monday.
All utilities are on and it is available for overnight stays. We even made a reservation at KOA for our time there in Nov. 15. The office is not open and they don't staff anything but maintenance over the winter months. Nice people, give them a call and I'm sure it would be no problem for you to arrange what you're wanting to do with them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
1. Yeah, but its easier to get work time off for my wife the week of Thanksgiving, since all US business slows down that week. Getting time off the following week is tougher.
2. Every week later I wait makes weather a bigger factor. I don't want my trailer snowed in at BC until Spring.
ETI was open on black Friday last year, perhaps you can check with them and see if that's still the case?

Also did you check with them already that you can indeed make orientation appointment on the 22nd? Reason I asked is because ours has a August 23 completion date but the earliest orientation we can make is the first one on the 24th.. we made it plenty early enough (before our build sheet is due) so I am wondering if it has to be the day "after" completion date.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #38

Quote:
ETI was open on black Friday last year, perhaps you can check with them and see if that's still the case?
The ETI website shows all dates they are closed. According to that, they are open all days during this time period. They do not celebrate US Holidays.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had ETI fill the tanks with water and propane as I was high tailing it out of Dodge back to the Mississippi Rally in 3 days. They had filled the tank, ran each faucet and operated the stove and furnace as a standard test. Not sure about the a/c but that can be fixed anywhere. That is the nice thing about Escape, practically any item installed is a brand carried at more RV dealers and can be repaired anywhere. Escape warranties it product for2 years. I had 2 Escapes delivered to the east coast without worry and went out to the factory for my 3rd Escape, My only issue on all 3 Escapes was a lock malfunction about 60 days after delivery which was fixed by a local locksmith, paid by Escape. Escape realizes each and every trailer is the pride and joy of the owner and treats each one as if it were their own.
Enjoy your trip it will be trouble free.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Also did you check with them already that you can indeed make orientation appointment on the 22nd? Reason I asked is because ours has a August 23 completion date but the earliest orientation we can make is the first one on the 24th.. we made it plenty early enough (before our build sheet is due) so I am wondering if it has to be the day "after" completion date.
I called Escape July 7th and scheduled orientation for the morning of my completion date, October 11th, so they've been able to schedule like that in the past. Maybe scheduling three months out helped, maybe the orientation scheduling load lightens up in October cause it's shoulder season. I'm with you - the only way to know for sure if Escape can schedule orientation on the completion date is to ask.