Preventing trailer theft - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
Here are the locks that we use:

1. Hitch Receiver Lock - Let's Go Aero 5/8" Class III Silent Hitch Pin - locks ball mount to the receiver

2. Coupler Lock - Reese Towpower Universal Coupler Lock - locks the coupler

3. Coupler latch lock - Master Lock 2847DAT Stainless Steel Adjustable Coupler Latch Lock - locks the latch on the coupler

We park our trailer in our back yard with fence and gate.

All of these will slow down but not prevent a determined thief.
I like the layered strategy Brian. The idea is to make it harder for the thief, and more than one security measure does that. But, I hope you don't ever depend solely on the Reese lock. They can be hacked off or pried off in less than a minute.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The idea is to discourage thieves from trying. If there are other trailers with no locks that are just as appealing, they will go on to them. If they are determined to get your particular trailer for some reason, then only making it nearly impossible will do. It also depends a great deal on where the trailer is sitting and whether or not a thief might be observed. There is no question that making it a hassle has deterred thieves countless times. A lock or multiple locks certainly does that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
You're right, if they have their pick, they'll pick the easier target. But as a former cop who investigated numerous burglaries and thefts, I can tell you that the time involved to defeat a security measure is a big factor. Many thieves will try to defeat a lock for example, but if it holds up, many will also give up and move on.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I find the coupler vault interesting. He surrendered on that one. Hundred bucks on Amazon. May order one. Will give some more thought.

Thoughts....?

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #65

Did you notice he did not slip the pry bar in the top front hole and pry down to bend the top plate up so it could slip past the hitch..... Nor did he hit top forward edge with a sledge to pop it past the top of the hitch..

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
He didn't make much effort at all when he got to the product he's trying to sell you.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #67

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
the most interesting thing to note is that in the stolen "Boler in Winnipeg case" the thieves just lifted the trailer away with a large pole. Locks, wheel boots etc. wouldn't have helped in this case.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #68

Trailer: none
Any thoughts on this device?

Steal Shield Products | The Industry Leader in Trailer Security
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #69

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
The way the thieves in Winnipeg stole the Bole Travel Trailer convinces me that no amount of prevention will stop a determined thief.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #70

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
The video I saw the guy just used the trailer hitch chains attached those to his truck hitch and towed it that way - hitch lock still on. Took a couple min even plugged in the lights. But I'm thinking about buying a hitch lock and /or a wheel lock . Just to irritate the thief. Maybe putting something on the roof to help identify my trailer. Their are alarms that email you if the trailer is moved and track your trailer sounds interesting.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #71

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
They say if you park you trailer with hitch forward it's harder to steal but hard to get it into the driveway like that need one of those moving things.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #72

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
The way the thieves in Winnipeg stole the Bole Travel Trailer convinces me that no amount of prevention will stop a determined thief.
If a thief truly wants something, they will take it. SCUM! My goal is to make it as hard as reasonably possible for them ...

A difficult to defeat coupler lock is my best option at this point. I also thought of a tracking device.

I also like the idea of something on the roof (painted or decal) as an identifier if it is stolen ...

Lots of good ideas here.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Did you notice he did not slip the pry bar in the top front hole and pry down to bend the top plate up so it could slip past the hitch..... Nor did he hit top forward edge with a sledge to pop it past the top of the hitch..

Cypher
Second on that, what a phony attempt. I kept waiting for him to put the pry bar in the hole on top and elongate the top. Wondered why, didn't realize till it ended that he was selling that product

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The Escape 19 that was stolen a couple of months go... http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...rrey-3988.html, it sounds like they loaded the trailer onto a flat bed and made their get-away.

I was just over showing Ten Forward to a couple of interested folks, while there I noticed this sticker on the door of the trailer parked next to mine. Food for thought?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1285.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The Escape 19 that was stolen a couple of months go... http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...rrey-3988.html, it sounds like they loaded the trailer onto a flat bed and made their get-away.
Do you know if that one was ever recovered?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #76
Site Team

Leon, we haven't heard so it's probably doubtful.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #77

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... while there I noticed this sticker on the door of the trailer parked next to mine. Food for thought?
If you looked in a window of this trailer, was any electronic equipment visible? If so, that would confirm that is a meaningless sticker... but of course it might have been legitimate.

The Edmonton Police Service and the Alberta Motor Association cooperate on a program in which they encourage people to not leave anything in their cars, and to display an All Valuables Removed sign to discourage thieves. I'm not questioning that this is a good idea, but I wonder how many people have trunks, glove compartments, and console boxes full of valuable stuff... and the placard in the window in hope that the thieves won't break in and look. It would be interesting to hear what the thieves think of the placards.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #78
Site Team

No Brian, this is in a storage area. Everyone keeps their blinds/curtains closed to protect fabrics from UV damage. So the only way to know if there's any electronics is to break in...
Old 09-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Assuming something like the Master lock might work. How would we secure the chains to they can't be used to tow the thing away? Can they be removed easly?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #80

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The chains could be hooked back on the frame and locked there, adding one or two more locks for the thief to overcome (or ignore)... and adding more work for the owner every time the trailer is locked up or towed.

Safety chains are not usually readily removable, but they could be arranged that way... and then a thief could just use their own chain.

The biggest challenge seems to be finding a compromise between making it inconvenient for a thief to steal and not making it too inconvenient for the owner to tow.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote