Preventing trailer theft - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #141

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Back in the day, I used to have oversight for some gates which had 3 or 4 locks daisy chained together each one owned by a separate entity, parks, water works, electric utility etc.
in those cases I always made sure we had the biggest, hardened steel lock of the bunch. Then, when drunken bullhead fishermen decided to chop a lock with a bolt cutter or battery powered grinder so they could get down the road, they picked on the small cheap locks and left ours alone. Any small angle that dissuades thieves or vandals when they have multiple targets available is a good thing. But if they want her bad enough, they'll even steal a porta potty.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:43 AM   #142

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
I just found another option - the Proven Industries Coupler Lock model 2178

also secures the safety chains, if you want.

It looks as if it may be a stronger design than the MegaHitch Lock.

Anyone using the Proven Industries Coupler Lock model 2178?

$139 here

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/prove...ock-p/2178.htm

unlike some other web sites that sell it for $195!

installation

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:54 AM   #143

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My buddy just picked up my boat and trailer, lifting it from under the carport and plunking it down on his crane-equipped flatbed truck.
Easy peasy.
I wasn't home at the time. Neighbours didn't notice anything unusual.
Nice rig - handy neighbor to have.

I've heard of moving vans pulling up to houses and the house being emptied while the owners were not at home... and the neighbors either didn't notice or didn't realize it wasn't legitimate. By coincidence, I was chatting with one of my neighbors last week about my immediate next-door neighbor who might be moving, and he said that house had a U-Haul pulled up to it... which I hadn't noticed. Depending on people to notice a theft in progress is far from reliable, but I think it's still worth forcing the thief to be noticeable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:01 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would bet my 5.0 with the Anderson adapter would make it at least a bit more difficult to steal.
I agree that a thief looking to take a fifth-wheel trailer is unlikely to have a ball at the right height to work, so it will slow them down and/or encourage them to move on to another trailer. Of course, if they have a couple of wrenches in the right sizes they can just remove the Andersen coupler and have an unlocked pin to tow with.

There are some coupler lock designs which might work on the Andersen Ultimate coupler, but I'm not sure that I would bother using one, either.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Okay, so moral of the story from the majority here - don't even use a hitch lock because it will only be stolen anyway. Fantastic. /s
I don't think so - although it is certainly not unanimous, and I didn't count posts, I think the majority message is that:
  • any lock will discourage a thief, so it's probably worth trying if there is a concern about theft
  • no lock will completely prevent theft
  • multiple locking methods are more effective than just one
  • wheel locks more effectively disable a trailer than a coupler lock.

People have different situations, and different priorities, so different choices are right for them... including anything from multiple types of locks and alarm systems on one extreme, to nothing at all on the other.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:20 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
One thing not discussed so far is how much damage can be done to the trailer by someone trying to defeat a device. Sometimes it is better to leave the door open than to have the door destroyed.
That's an interesting point. I have a friend who convinced me long ago that locking a convertible is inviting damage, since a thief will slash the roof rather than breaking a window; a fabric roof is expensive to replace, but a door window is quick and easy to replace. We haven't driven our convertible for quite a while, because it needs an engine rebuild, but when we went out with it we usually parked it with the roof down... and nothing inside to steal.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #147

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Locks keep honest people, honest!!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #148

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Okay, so moral of the story from the majority here - don't even use a hitch lock because it will only be stolen anyway. Fantastic. /s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think so - although it is certainly not unanimous, and I didn't count posts, I think the majority message is that:
  • any lock will discourage a thief, so it's probably worth trying if there is a concern about theft
  • no lock will completely prevent theft
  • multiple locking methods are more effective than just one
  • wheel locks more effectively disable a trailer than a coupler lock.

People have different situations, and different priorities, so different choices are right for them... including anything from multiple types of locks and alarm systems on one extreme, to nothing at all on the other.
I think Brian's response summed things up well. I don't think anybody suggested their trailer will be stolen regardless of using some kind of security, or not. Most, like me, only alluded to the level of risk tolerance they are willing to take.

I am getting a cargo trailer built for work, and am WAY more worried that it will be targeted than my RV will. Most thieves are looking to turn a quite buck, and a cargo trailer full of tools makes for quick cash more than any RV would. For it, I plan to use lots of security. A remote control motion sensing alarm, that will scream blue murder will be used to sense whether a door opens without being disarmed.

Though I know it has happened before, but it is very rare that an RV gets stolen. What is way more common is for thieves to break in and steal contents. Again, these stolen contents are easier to sell quickly, than an entire RV would.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #149

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
California Immobalizer purchased yesterday, "installed" today.

The dude in the video had an easier time then I had. I skinned a knuckle. I suspect it will get easier.

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #150

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post

The dude in the video had an easier time then I had. I skinned a knuckle. I suspect it will get easier.

Larry what is your opinion of the quality ? How about the lock which is usually the weakest point? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #151

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
I bought a Trimax TCL65 locking wheel chock to go on our new 21' (we pick it up in April, hooray!). I also plan to get wheel locks so a thief doesn't just take off the wheel with the locking chock and put on the spare. Does anybody know what size lugs it uses? 1/2"-20RH? Probably also need to know how deep the lug nuts need to be, and if the nuts are a cone seat. If they are 1/2"-20 and cone seat type, McGard makes a 5-lock set (#24538) so I can also lock the spare. Does anybody know?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
I also plan to get wheel locks so a thief doesn't just take off the wheel with the locking chock and put on the spare. Does anybody know what size lugs it uses? 1/2"-20RH? Probably also need to know how deep the lug nuts need to be, and if the nuts are a cone seat. If they are 1/2"-20 and cone seat type, McGard makes a 5-lock set (#24538) so I can also lock the spare.
Apparently yes they are 1/2"-20 (and definitely right-hand thread) - see the discussion Wheel Nut Size & Thread. Yes, they are have cone seats.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #153

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Apparently yes they are 1/2"-20 (and definitely right-hand thread) - see the discussion Wheel Nut Size & Thread. Yes, they are have cone seats.
Great, thanks very much Brian.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #154

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Ralph & Paulette,
Please try to get Mcgard wheel lock nuts which have good quality.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #155

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The Brahma has a steel disk which covers the lug nuts so that they and the wheel cannot be removed.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #156

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post

I very quickly got the knack of putting it on and now it takes less than 30 seconds to drape the pieces over the wheel and connect.

Bob
K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #157

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I very quickly got the knack of putting it on and now it takes less than 30 seconds to drape the pieces over the wheel and connect.

Bob
K
Bob what is your opinion of the quality and the lock ? Can it be installed over the aluminum wheels ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #158

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Pat- goes on fine over the aluminum wheels. Lock is a barrel type, which some say is easy to to defeat. All of this beyond a standard coupler lock could be described as overkill, however with a year wait now for a replacement it is peace of mind.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #159

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Hi Pat,

I have a coupler lock and now the California Immobalizer over the tire. The quality of the product seems fine to me. I really have no experience with other products. And don't know how easy the lock would be to mess with. I bought it based on comments by other Escape Forum members. I'm sure any really determined thief could get it off the tire.

When the trailer is parked at home it's on a parking pad facing the street ready to be towed away by any enterprising trailer thief. I also will see how well it travels when we are on the road and leave the trailer untended on a campground.

Liz doesn't like the bright colour but I assume it is painted that way to be noticed when thieves drive by scoping out the trailer.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #160

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
All of this is bringing back nostalgic memories of running around the country in our 81 Scamp 13. We use to get ready to leave for a day of activities and someone would say should we lock it all up? We'd look at the tiny, nice, but kinda worn Scamp, then look at all the bright shiny big expensive rigs and say; We'd be the last trailer a thief would pick, let's not worry about it and off we'd merrily go. I guess sometimes less can be more.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote